Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ross Johnston signs extension with the Islanders (4 years, $1.1M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Really not anything anyone can say about this until AAV and salary structure (how much could be buried in AHL) are known.

One suggestion I saw that makes sense—this likely removes any risk of passing him through waivers this season.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I like Ross Johnston. Big body, hard to move, hard to play against. I'm really curious to hear the AAV because I tend to be leery of giving bottom 6 too much term.

Jan 21, 2018
I like Ross Johnston. Big body, hard to move, hard to play against. I'm really curious to hear the AAV because I tend to be leery of giving bottom 6 too much term.

lou has no problem giving out long term deals because he knows he won’t be gm when those contracts get worse. Getting cheap AAV is all he cares about since it makes the isles better today. Also, NYI is not an attractive FA destination so handing out long-term deals will ensure players stay in NYI. But of course this will have consequences, like signing komarov which prevented them from keeping Toews.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Islanders are so weird in how they give their bottom-6/4th line/bottom pairing players so much term on contracts

I don’t think it’s necessary either but they do have success and those bottom 4th line guys aren’t used the same as other teams cotton guys. Trotz give them more than 4th line TOI and a lot of responsibility.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
the salary is meaningless

signing a 4th liner/13th forward to a 4 year contract is literal insanity
Why, though? The contract isn’t that much more than the league minimum and can be buried in the AHL. Whenever he isn’t on the roster, someone else making about the same salary will be. You don’t want a dozen Ross Johnston’s on longterm deals but the downside risks are close to negligible.

Last edited:

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Horrible. Wasting money on players that hardly play/contribute is why we lose players like Toews/Leddy and replace them with Chara.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad