Confirmed Trade: [NYI/CHI] #18 and #50 for #20, #54, and #61 (ALL '24 Picks)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Should probably read what you are retweeting instead of just trusting Puckpedia. Because they read their own chart wrong....

According to their post, the Islanders should have given up a 5th rounder to even out a trade. So Chicago overpaid according to this...

Oops

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
From an Islanders POV given our lack of prspect depth I have to say picking up a late 2nd for moving down a few spots int he 1sta nd 2nd round is pretty good. Decent chance we get the guy in both spots we would have taken anyways, beyond that who knows maybe the guy we wanted gets scooped up and we end up with a better player.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Might seem silly but moving up to 12-14 isn't that out of reach with 18+34+50
34 is most likely a guy who would have went in the 1st based on mock drafts so essentially a team with prospect depth already would take that risk. Especially if the player they might target is going to be available in the 17/18 range.

Reactions: Faceboner

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Wild that this is happening now and not at the draft. Like…why?
To steal thunder away from the Rangers game in the New York market.

Getting an extra pick makes more sense. Lamariello ain’t gonna do no drastic scorched earth rebuild (owners may not want tickets selling for $5 on StubHub). Try to keep it competitive and hit some home runs on late first, second round picks.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Seems obvious Chicago thinks there is a drop off point after 18 (the first I’ve heard of a drop off point there in this draft but sure 🤷) …but seems like that drop off existentially can’t give you that much bigger odds of hitting + what if your guy is going to be there at 20 anyways?!

Agree given all that it appears to be a bit weird overpay

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Can someone tell me why the f*** Chicago would do this deal without even knowing what player would be available at 18 and 50??

I must be missing something right? Surely the valuation of moving up 2 spots in R1, and 4 spots in R2, BLINDLY, is not at the cost of an additional 2nd rounder.

This has to be the stupidest trade I think I've seen in a while. And to think Luo Lamerillo of all people got the best of someone is even more hilarious

someone smarter than me please explain this

TIA
NYI acquired an extra pick…that’s it in a nutshell
Chicago now has a chance at a 13-17 ranked player rather than a 15-19 ranked player…every draft NHL teams make an ‘off the board’ pick in the middle of 1st round…

Maybe the Hawks aren’t going to draft the RHD Levshunov at #2, going with a forward instead and are hoping either RHD Jiricek or Yakemchuk will be available at #18?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Rumor is Chicago is looking at Sacha Boisvert, who'd be a likely pick in the 18-20 range.

I wonder if Montreal was looking to trade up to #18 (from 26) out of NYI to improve their odds of getting him, and Chicago had to overpay to get that pick.

Getting moves done ahead is typical of Kent Hughes, so Avs 2nd + 26 for #18 might well have been on the table, and Chicago countered.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
My 1st thought seeing this was "Is it the Draft already?? Have I been in a coma the last month?"

I had to find a store that still sells newspapers just to confirm today's date was not June 28th. Weird Trade

• Haha
Reactions: uncleben

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Rumor is Chicago is looking at Sacha Boisvert, who'd be a likely pick in the 18-20 range.

I wonder if Montreal was looking to trade up to #18 (from 26) out of NYI to improve their odds of getting him, and Chicago had to overpay to get that pick.

Getting moves done ahead is typical of Kent Hughes, so Avs 2nd + 26 for #18 might well have been on the table, and Chicago countered.
Habs fans think the world revolves around them 😭

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's not even like one of those, "reacquiring picks" for an offer sheet deals right? Just a straight up peculiar deal to make this far out from the draft. Unless there's something more going on here.

Reactions: HawksDub89

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I see this as a move by Chicago to move higher in the draft like 10th overall or something but it going to take multiple moves to do that and therefore the move up to 18 is to get closer. Like maybe next week they will move up to 14 or something because it would be much harder to move straight from 20 to 10 but if you can make multiple moves to get there it might work. However you can’t wait till the 10th pick to make it all happen

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I do agree the timing of this is weird. Which makes it even more likely there’s another move to be made.

Reactions: uncleben

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I get it for New York. If you think you're getting extra value do the trade. It's odd for the Hawks, the type of deal you only do when pick 18 is on the clock so you know who you're getting. I feel like it's likely they're trying to move up beyond this and had preliminary discussions regarding trade up/down value with another team and that team didn't want to go to 20 or they couldn't get values to match. In which case if the 2nd trade up happens it will happen on draft day once said team trading down are on the clock. In which case the Hawks risk that team liking who's on the board and not pulling the trigger and the Hawks end up picking at 18 anyway it's not much value lost with this trade.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
It’s the opposite for me. Chicago gives up an extra 2nd to move up a total of 6 spots? Feels a bit strange
Makes sense if they really like someone at 18 that they feel won't be available at 20.

What doesn't make sense is making this trade a month in advance when the draft hasn't taken place. Their guy may be taken off the board by the time they get to 18. Who the hell knows. That's the bizarre part.

Reactions: Gecklund

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Is Kyle Davidson related to Kyle Dubas? I don't understand moving up 2 spots in the first rd is worth the currency of a 2nd rd pick. Not unless one is Nostradamus and the player you want is sitting right at #18. Why do this now? Clear Win for Lou Lamoriello on that basis whether he drafts or trades the pick, the Isles have more currency after the trade than before it.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Strange, I know it’s only a late 2nd to move up a few spots at multiple picks but why do it now? It’s such a small jump and only makes sense on draft day if they saw someone they like drop.

Reactions: periferal

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Seems obvious Chicago thinks there is a drop off point after 18 (the first I’ve heard of a drop off point there in this draft but sure 🤷) …but seems like that drop off existentially can’t give you that much bigger odds of hitting + what if your guy is going to be there at 20 anyways?!

Agree given all that it appears to be a bit weird overpay
Seems pretty strange to get that specific, especially in this draft. You have no idea what the teams will do ahead of you on draft day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad