Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Casey Cizikas signing with the Islanders (6 years, $2.5M AAV)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I’m sure Isles fan will find out.

Cizikas is 30 yrs old, getting 6 yrs. Not 33/34 yrs old.

If he was making around $4m, instead of around $2.5m,I would be more concerned.
A team can bury a player in the ahl and gain just over $1m in cap space.I think in 5 yrs that amount will rise slightly.

Reactions: SI

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You gave up 1sts for Palmieri and Pageau and signed Pageau to a bad contract.

95% of KHL stars end up coming here so I’m not sure your point.

There's a reason you aren't sure of my point. It's lack of reading comprehension skills.

The op stated words along the lines of (don't feel like quoting) What has Lou built, besides signing Komarov. All the other pieces were in place. I just listed at least three pieces that were not in place prior to LL. Unequivocally proving the OP's statement as a 100% falsehood.

As far as the Sorokin thing, there were some rumors from Russian sources stating he wouldn't come over with Snow as GM. LL completely changed the reputation of the franchise, there by facilitating Sorokin. And, you just made me think of a fourth piece that wasn't in place, Varlamov, also facilitating Sorokin coming over as he had a fellow countryman playing the same position to mentor him.

Reactions: frankieboy and mm11

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cizikas is a very underrated part of the Islanders rolling their lines. That's a long contract for $2.5M per year. Can't recall term that long for $3M or under contracts.

Reactions: Laus723

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Wow. At this AAV, the Islanders actually have some flexibility, which they absolutely need to acquire a 2nd pair LD, and additional depth at center. (I do not believe a Tarasenko trade is a live option.) I wonder whether Zajac is in the mix as a a 13th/14th forward.

I think it is reasonable to think that Cizikas has 4 good years left, reasonable to think the last two years of this deal will result in some dead cap, and very reasonable to think that the AAV over the first 4 years makes that dead cap in the last 2 years worthwhile.

Assuming that Palmieri, Parise, Beauvillier, and Sorokin are all in the fold (why aren't at least a couple of these registered with the league office? and if so, why doesn't anyone know about them?) that leaves NYI with one major task this offseason: acquire a 2nd pair LD. Otherwise NYI will have Robin Salo, and Samuel Bolduc competing for a starting LD spot with to-be 39 y/o Andy Greene (who will need days off) holding down another spot.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Cheaper than Goodrow. A little older. I think the money is fair and Cizikas might have gotten more on the open market per year if he wanted to take only a 4 year deal. Just like when we signed Goodrow, 6 years is a little too much, but he's a big part of the roster for NYI. Don't forget he's a 20 goal scorer...

Reactions: Olliemets

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
You gave up 1sts for Palmieri and Pageau and signed Pageau to a bad contract..

The great thing about those firsts is the players acquired ensured they wound up being 28th overall in both years and then signed withh the Isles. So instead of a player with a 20% chance of even making the NHL they got two players that will be signed long-term.

Name one GM that would rather have the 28th overall than JG Pageau. I'll give you a hint, they're rebuilding and not in the playoff hunt for a year or four. That 5m salary is really going to cripple us in 2024 though, when Pageau's still playing on the 3rd line, PP and PK while winning 53% of his draws.

One of those draft picks might even make the NHL 3-5 years from now! Hooray! In 2027 that player might even put half the amount of points that either Palmieri or Pageau will put up this year or next!

This is HFboards though, where a 28th overall is guaranteed to make your franchise into a powerhouse the second he's drafted though.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
How can 2.5 get that ugly? You can bury almost half if necessary or easily cap dump that amount in trade. Guys one of the better bottom 6C and an excellent PK guy.

Seriously this.

I guess it's the offseason so people need to come online and overreact to any news one way or the other. Cizikas resigning for the rest of his career for LESS than he was making before and only a 2.5M cap hit is overall very positive for the Isles. What he brings to the team goes way beyond stats and as mentioned 2.5M is barely on an NHL team's cap radar.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Cizikas is 30 yrs old, getting 6 yrs. Not 33/34 yrs old.

If he was making around $4m, instead of around $2.5m,I would be more concerned.
A team can bury a player in the ahl and gain just over $1m in cap space.I think in 5 yrs that amount will rise slightly.

In a vacuum the contract is probably fine. It's the fact that Martin and are signed for multiple years. I guess if Clutterbuck walks it makes them easier to digest.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
This is honestly a pretty fair contract for both team and player. I've always liked Cizikas, and in an open market he'd probably get more AAV, but def less term. But he fits the franchise like a glove, gets to play for a contender, and gets 15 mil in the end so good on him. Obviously, for the Isles this low AAV allows them a tiny bit of flexibility and they keep their shutdown C, but end up paying him into his twilight years. Definitely some give and take.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
It's essentially $3.5m for 4 years, spread out over 6 to reduce the cap hit.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Good AAV for a role player. Especially there were those 5.5 rumours lol
Considering Danault got 5.5 a year I dont see why there wasnt rumors for 5.5 for Czikas.

This is the biggest steal of a contract since Pelech.... Oh wait. How is lou pulling this off?

Solves the problem for now.

Maybe it will hurt in 3-4 years, but by then Lou will either have won or moved on and it wont be his problem anymore.
How does 2.5 million hurt this team in 4 years?....

Reactions: SpitfireG

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Can't blame other fan bases for trashing the deal. Would be pretty bummed as well if I realized that this means that the Isles identity line -- you know, the one that renders $10M+ fancy players impotent -- will keep doing what they do for a little while longer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad