Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Casey Cizikas signing with the Islanders (6 years, $2.5M AAV)

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not an Islanders fan, but to me this is a total all in move by the Islanders. I doubt they’re looking past the next 3 years. If they win a cup, they’ll worry about whatever happens after, and I’m sure they won’t care at all if they can pull off a cup.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Love Cizikas as a Rangers fan. Good contract for one of the best bottom 6 C’s in the league. Maybe a year long at most but at that AAV it’s a no brainer when you consider what his comparables like Goodrow and Coleman signed for

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This should be good for a couple years, but beyond that it might get ugly. That’s a lot of term for this kind of player.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
$2.5M AAV is a bargain for what Cizikas provides. He's by far the best fourth liner in the NHL and, along with Martin and Clutterbuck, their identity as a franchise. Again, Lou's entire strategy is getting veteran players signed to contracts that trade high cap hit in exchange for two key things: 1. term, and 2. many years of cup contention. This is no different, and Palmieri is likely signing up for the exact same arrangement.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Probably front loaded so the last two years are easy to buy out.... but 36 isn't 40, there's a good chance he's still contributing at the end of that deal.

Reactions: Morrison

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
I'm not sure why people are upset/complaining about the length of contract. There will always be teams like the Coyotes or Sabres that will take on a contract like this for a 2nd or 3rd round pick if need be.

I'm thinking that it could be a shorter contract in length but with a much higher cap hit like $3.75 AAV for 4 years. I like the deal as it stands.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Good deal if true. In 4 years if it is a problem, 2.5m will be be pretty easy to deal with. Most importantly, this keeps the Islanders depth which has been a key strength of the team and will help them stay competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Any time you can lock up a 30 year old 4th liner, on a 6 year contract, you gotta do it.
I don't like the Islanders one bit but Cizikas plays a role that is very valuable.

The Rangers chased a similar level player who provides around similar value in Barclay Goodrow giving the same 6 year-term

These type of players are valuable to contending teams(isles currently and Rangers looking to ascend). Isles windows is 2-3 years before they need a major retool so it makes sense to get Cizikas back at the lowest AAV possible with the tradeoff being 2-3 extra years of term

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad