NY Islanders Sale Talk ONLY Part IV **Post 400, Isles SOLD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Wang's been the owner of the team for 15 years now, and has ZERO playoff series wins.

I'd love to hear you explain how that is anything but a disaster.

edit: and I'm willing to bet the majority of HF agrees with me on this and not just Hip of Rick.

Not here arguing about disasters....i just brought it up based on the melodramatic way you define things. Stay on point...

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
What is melodramatic? Calling the most pathetic punchline in sports, "pathetic?"

I love over the years the lengths people go to defend sub-mediocrity.

BroadwayJay*

If it's wrong, it's only by degrees.

I'm not disputing the relative truth, I'm simply commenting on the fact that it is melodramatic.

I just think it is humorous for someone to say they aren't being melodramatic, and to do so in a melodramatic fashion.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'm not disputing the relative truth, I'm simply commenting on the fact that it is melodramatic.

I just think it is humorous for someone to say they aren't being melodramatic, and to do so in a melodramatic fashion.

Great. It's humurous. We've still have no playoffs series wins under wang.

BroadwayJay*

Great. It's humurous. We've still have no playoffs series wins under wang.

Jesus guys, I'm just saying that it is true that he is being melodramatic.

Take it easy. I'm not making any statement about what has happened to our team during the Wang era.

I mean, the guy says he isn't being melodramatic in a melodramatic way. Surely we can all see the irony in that.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Obviously, you and Hip Of Rick talk about "disasters" and "drastic" like they are every day occurrences. I'm sure we have quite a different level of melodrama.

There is a difference between a real life disaster and a disaster in the sports world. For some that is a difficult concept to comprehend. So two very simple examples are below, remember context is everything.

A real life disaster was the earthquake yesterday.

Sports world disaster, Wang running the team into the ground the past 15 years.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Those two sentences right there are quite melodramatic, to be fair.
Life as a Jets fan.....life as an Isles fan.....a Mets fan.....hope turns to an eventual pie in the face at every turn. The Isles are a punchline {hopefully not for long}......so how is it melodramatic? Not two years ago, we wonder while teams are going after big names WHICH UNIVERSITY OF {insert city in New England} free agent who went undrafted would be our savior?

irony.....maybe skepticism....but not melodrama.

BroadwayJay*

Life as a Jets fan.....life as an Isles fan.....a Mets fan.....hope turns to an eventual pie in the face at every turn. The Isles are a punchline {hopefully not for long}......so how is it melodramatic? Not two years ago, we wonder while teams are going after big names WHICH UNIVERSITY OF {insert city in New England} free agent who went undrafted would be our savior?

irony.....maybe skepticism....but not melodrama.

I just thought it was humorous that there was a melodramatic post saying you weren't being melodramatic.

It isn't offensive and it isn't meant to be in any way.

I wish I hadn't said anything, you guys are taking this stuff way too seriously today.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Not here arguing about disasters....i just brought it up based on the melodramatic way you define things. Stay on point...

So what's melodramatic about saying that Wang's ownership reign has been a complete disaster?

You claimed that Wang's ownership has NOT been a disaster.....how so?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Just popped up on Google, very interesting article about the Islanders sale, how it was influenced by the Sterling fiasco and it's effect on pro sports.

How a Billionaire's Mistress changed the Islanders' Destiny

Best part of the article...

"It seems the best NHL teams begin with a regime change from top to bottom to achieve success. The Chicago Blackhawks became one of the best teams of the modern era with two Stanley Cup wins after “Dollar†Bill had the team taken from his cold dead hands. The Tampa Bay Lightning became one of the best teams in the league once it found stable ownership and stole some of the best minds in hockey for it’s management group."

Finally someone said it out loud. They should scream it from the rooftops...

YOU CANNOT WIN IN PRO SPORTS WITHOUT A COMPETENT OWNER.

We were never winning with wang the way the redskins are never winning with Dan Snyder. Both teams are doomed to mediocrity at best until there is an ownership change.

Mavericknyc1980

Jul 14, 2006
Best part of the article...

"It seems the best NHL teams begin with a regime change from top to bottom to achieve success. The Chicago Blackhawks became one of the best teams of the modern era with two Stanley Cup wins after “Dollar†Bill had the team taken from his cold dead hands. The Tampa Bay Lightning became one of the best teams in the league once it found stable ownership and stole some of the best minds in hockey for it’s management group."

Finally someone said it out loud. They should scream it from the rooftops...

We were never winning with wang the way the redskins are never winning with Dan Snyder. Both teams are doomed to mediocrity at best until there is an ownership change.

Didn't we just get sold?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
What is melodramatic? Calling the most pathetic punchline in sports, "pathetic?"

I love over the years the lengths people go to defend sub-mediocrity.

Good Lord, I'm not defending anything. Why is calling out somebody for being dramatic mean that I am suddenly defending Wang?? I'm just not going to sit here and make a mountain out of a mole hill and say crazy stuff like I'm worried what Wang will do with the team being in control for two more years. The guy spent money when he bought the team, then got sidetracked trying to bling on a real estate venture, then stopped investing in the team. It's as simple as that. He didn't do anything drastic.

A RL conversation in OTH's world:

{Mod Edit, No politics}

OMG, can't believe I have to redo this. Apparently we can't talk about politics yet I don't see any deletions in the Kate Murray talks, the Town of Hempstead, or voting. Unreal....

So back to my OTH's RL conversation:

A Random Person: Fords are garbage. They are the worst cars Ever. Hondas are so much better.
Another Random Person: Well, I wouldn't say Ford's are garbage.
OTH: STOP DEFENDING THEM!

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So what's melodramatic about saying that Wang's ownership reign has been a complete disaster?

You claimed that Wang's ownership has NOT been a disaster.....how so?

That's not what I claimed...what I claimed was he hasn't done anything drastic. I already outlined why I don't think he's done anything drastic. Some people see life through rose colored glasses, while other's view life through fire and brimstone colored glasses. I don't wear glasses....

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
There is a difference between a real life disaster and a disaster in the sports world. For some that is a difficult concept to comprehend. So two very simple examples are below, remember context is everything.

A real life disaster was the earthquake yesterday.

Sports world disaster, Wang running the team into the ground the past 15 years.

Uh, yeah you are right....the difference is one happens in sports and one happens outside of sports. That's the only difference. Wonder what you would consider Travis Roy's injury playing for BC. That's a disaster. Hank Gathers dying on a basketball court, that's a disaster. Wang not investing in the Islanders and staying at minimum payroll, yeah I guess if your life revolves around what the Islanders do that's a disaster, but in reality it's just par for the course for other bottom dwelling teams in leagues around the country.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Uh, yeah you are right....the difference is one happens in sports and one happens outside of sports. That's the only difference. Wonder what you would consider Travis Roy's injury playing for BC. That's a disaster. Hank Gathers dying on a basketball court, that's a disaster. Wang not investing in the Islanders and staying at minimum payroll, yeah I guess if your life revolves around what the Islanders do that's a disaster, but in reality it's just par for the course for other bottom dwelling teams in leagues around the country.

It is all silly definitions with you.

Injuries that ruin lives are obviously a disaster. The running of a sports franchise in terms of performance, the Islanders have been a disaster under Wang (in terms of an owner). The Nino trade was also a disaster ( in terms of trades).

It is all context and relative but the term disaster could be applied to trades, ownership, and real life situations relative to the context

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

What is a competent owner? Wouldn't most owners who were deemed not competent become competent after winning? It's the same way with coaches. Coughlin had to go, until the Giants won a Super Bowl.

I don't think Jerry Jones is a competent owner, and he's won a few championships. Dolan has owned the Knicks and Rags for how long? He's won a championship, but would he be considered competent? Jim Irsay is a pretty big moron, and he's won championships. There have been plenty of bad/incompetent owners who have won a few championships...it's just a lot harder with that in the way.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
What is a competent owner? Wouldn't most owners who were deemed not competent become competent after winning? It's the same way with coaches. Coughlin had to go, until the Giants won a Super Bowl.

I don't think Jerry Jones is a competent owner, and he's won a few championships. Dolan has owned the Knicks and Rags for how long? He's won a championship, but would he be considered competent? Jim Irsay is a pretty big moron, and he's won championships. There have been plenty of bad/incompetent owners who have won a few championships...it's just a lot harder with that in the way.

Marge Schott won a world series. Case Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad