NY Islanders Sale Talk ONLY Part IV **Post 400, Isles SOLD**

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
One more offseason with Charles Wang as majority owner of the New York Islanders...... Wow.

Not only that but this upcoming offseason we now have 2 minority owners that are billionaires.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Believe me...I'm ecstatic. Still nervous he may do something stupid/drastic while he still has control. Would also be nice if we heard more from the new owners, but probably that is going to have to wait until the BOG officially approves the sale in December. Then we can have a press conference.

I don't know why people are saying these things....Wang really hasn't done anything "drastic" since owning the Isles. He "talked" about bringing in sumo wrestlers to play goal. That would have been drastic. He hired a backup goalie as a GM, but there have been many underqualified GM's hired throughout the history of the league so that's by no means drastic. He gave out a couple big contracts he regretted, what GM hasn't? The only thing Wang did truly bad for this team was not invest in it enough....but he didn't do anything drastic by any stretch of the imagination.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I don't know why people are saying these things....Wang really hasn't done anything "drastic" since owning the Isles. He "talked" about bringing in sumo wrestlers to play goal. That would have been drastic. He hired a backup goalie as a GM, but there have been many underqualified GM's hired throughout the history of the league so that's by no means drastic. He gave out a couple big contracts he regretted, what GM hasn't? The only thing Wang did truly bad for this team was not invest in it enough....but he didn't do anything drastic by any stretch of the imagination.

It's not drastic to have your backup goaltender retire as a player and then assume the role of GM roughly a month after hiring a very qualified GM? I think we have a different idea of what drastic means.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It's not drastic to have your backup goaltender retire as a player and then assume the role of GM roughly a month after hiring a very qualified GM? I think we have a different idea of what drastic means.

Exactly. I mean really.

• I think refusing to fire Milbury is drastic
  • I think even thinking about sumo wresters as goalies is drastic
  • I think giving Yashin a 10 year deal is is drastic
  • I think then not learning your lesson and giving DP a 15 year is drastic and insane
  • I think hiring a gm for 40 days is drastic
  • I think then hiring a player to be your gm is super drastic
  • I think putting a big 4 professional sports franchise on college radio is drastic

And while I could go on the most important thing is this...

However you get there, being a lottery team for so many years and disgracing the Islanders logo is the most drastic.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Exactly. I mean really.

• I think then not learning your lesson and giving DP a 15 year is drastic and insane
  • I think putting a big 4 professional sports franchise on college radio is drastic

However you get there, being a lottery team for so many years and disgracing the Islanders logo is the most drastic.

Perfectly said. :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Charles+B+Wang+RXv5Qas2Fq9m.jpg

"SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!"

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Anyone who thinks Wang cannot do a lot more damage, including dumping as much payroll as possible in order to make his one year in Brooklyn as profitable as possible, has clearly not been paying attention.

Pnut

Exactly. I mean really.

Keeping Milbury for a long time was dumb.

Trading for Yashin was needed and signing him to a long deal was fine back then , but looking back in hind sight and saying it was bad is the ultimate Captian Hindsight idea I can imagine. Who didn't think back in the summer of 2001 that we didn't need a #1 center? They signed him to a long term deal, it didn't work out because he couldn't cary the team. Its easy to say now. So is DPs contract which was a great price for a guy that should have been great. All captain hindsight.
Signin Snow as the GM is only thought of as bad because he wasn't a great player. Boohoo he wasn't Steve Y. He has done fine, it is only a drastic move for some fans because we are not rooting for a typical team. It's also easy to be captain hindsight and pick apart any NA sports team. Your use of "drastic" is over dramatic and does not fit reality.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Anyone who thinks Wang cannot do a lot more damage, including dumping as much payroll as possible in order to make his one year in Brooklyn as profitable as possible, has clearly not been paying attention.

I can't see that happening. He spent this offseason, AND he knows the team really can't go to Barclay's as a lottery team.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

Trading for Yashin was needed and signing him to a long deal was fine back then , but looking back in hind sight and saying it was bad is the ultimate Captian Hindsight idea I can imagine. Who didn't think back in the summer of 2001 that we didn't need a #1 center? They signed him to a long term deal, it didn't work out because he couldn't cary the team. Its easy to say now. So is DPs contract which was a great price for a guy that should have been great. All captain hindsight.
Signin Snow as the GM is only thought of as bad because he wasn't a great player. Boohoo he wasn't Steve Y. He has done fine, it is only a drastic move for some fans because we are not rooting for a typical team. It's also easy to be captain hindsight and pick apart any NA sports team. Your use of "drastic" is over dramatic and does not fit reality.

The DiPietro deal is more than hindsight. It never made sense. The term was just outlandish and gratuitous. If they offered him a ten year deal at the same AAV is there even the slightest chance he would have said no?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Obviously, you and Hip Of Rick talk about "disasters" and "drastic" like they are every day occurrences. I'm sure we have quite a different level of melodrama.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Exactly. I mean really.

Well, judging by your definitions of drastic then almost every GM in the league is "drastic". Glad you cleared that up. Especially Yashin and DP. You must think Lamoriello is drastic. First he gave up a ton of prospects for Kovalchyuk. Then he tried to play shenanigans with his contract. THen he signed him long term only to have him retire to Russia. Wow, what a maroon. :shakehead

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

DP's contract was wrong on soooo many levels.

When you sign a player to a 15 year contract you:

Saddle your head coach (and future head coaches) with a player he may not want.
Risk the player becoming ineffective long before his contract ends.
Make the player untradeable.
Risk the player suffering a devastating injury.

Wang signed DP to that contract in an effort to get value over the lifetime of the contract.

If I remember correctly, it was Milbury who advised Wang NOT TO sign Alexei Yashin to a long term contract. In fact, Milbury advised Wang not to get Yashin at all. He wanted Jason Allison from the Kings. A move I actually agreed with Milbury on.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Obviously, you and Hip Of Rick talk about "disasters" and "drastic" like they are every day occurrences. I'm sure we have quite a different level of melodrama.

Wang's been the owner of the team for 15 years now, and has ZERO playoff series wins.

I'd love to hear you explain how that is anything but a disaster.

edit: and I'm willing to bet the majority of HF agrees with me on this and not just Hip of Rick.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
How do you figure that Neal Smith is very qualified GM?

He kind of won this trophy called the Stanley Cup. Perhaps you've heard of it before? :sarcasm:

Well, judging by your definitions of drastic then almost every GM in the league is "drastic". Glad you cleared that up. Especially Yashin and DP. You must think Lamoriello is drastic. First he gave up a ton of prospects for Kovalchyuk. Then he tried to play shenanigans with his contract. THen he signed him long term only to have him retire to Russia. Wow, what a maroon. :shakehead

He's obviously talking about wang NOT Snow. Is it that hard to realize that?

-Snow wasn't ever in any position to fire Milbury.
-Snow didn't trade for Yashin.
-Snow wasn't GM when Yashin signed the contract.

Give me a break.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

When you are the GM of a franchise that wins THREE Championships, you can have pretty much all the leeway you want. Wake me when we have a playoff series win while wang is owner.

The difference between wang/snow and Lamorillo is the Grand Canyon, but you can physically measure it in that for every bad Kovalchuk move Lamorillo has made, he's probably make 10 great moves. If you could name a good move wang has made you could name 20 that were horrendous.

The bottom line for me is winning. Aside from a 7 game series against the Leafs and a 6 game series against the Penguins (both of which we lost), we have ZERO to show for wang's ownership in terms of success in the last 14 years. I called that drastic and will continue to.

Oh and the Blue Jackets, Oilers, Predators, Panthers, and no longer existent Thrashers also sucked just as much during this time period and guess what...I'd call all of their ownership moves (or lack thereof) horribly drastic as well.

So you may have your own definition, but if you go over a decade under an owner without a single playoff series win, then that is drastic as all hell. You can defend wang, but I will not. I will measure your time as owner by wins and wins only. Everything else is just wallpaper.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Guys, SALE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Want to discuss Wang's failures make a new thread, JEEZ!!!

Hi Homeland...

We're just putting wang's failures on the table so that when the new guys come into play we can appreciate them that much more. It's kind of like your girlfriend going on a month-long trip and not doing the deed at all while she's gone. Imagine the feeling when she walks off that plane...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad