Proposal: Nurse for Huberdeau

Ledge And Dairy

Idk what world you are living in but the flames do not have the pieces to say they are even close to completing their rebuild, their best prospect is zary or hoznek, both players are good but they are not franchise cornerstone pieces. Calgary is a long way away from being cup contenders. If they want to be a bubble team then fine but that would just be pointless considering they have been a bubble team for the majority of the salary cap era.
I can't tell if you are messing with me or not. Nobody said anything about being close to finishing a rebuild. It will take this draft and at minimum 1 more top 10 pick before they can even start turning it around. Realistically Calgary isn't going to be a playoff team until at least 2027.

As for their prospects, Wolf is absolutely by far their #1 prospect. He is the only guy I would currently consider with elite potential. Calgary has a pretty solid draft pool but unless someone takes that next step they are all more complimentary players. The Flames biggest issue is lack of stars, but that is what the next 3 drafts are for. They have no shortage of middle 6 and depth talent though.

However, my point was that the expectation should not be for the team to just tank for the next 6-7 years waiting for the Huberdeau (or in your case the Nurse) contract to end. That is moronic. Pelletier and Wolf will be 29 by then, Zary will be 28, Coronato will be 27. When LA started their official rebuild in 18/19, their best prospects were Kupari and Vilardi. Kempe was the same age as Zary is now. LA was back in the playoffs by 21/22 and that's after whiffing on their 5th overall pick in 2019.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Didn't realize Anderson would need a sitter as thought of him as a decent 2 way guy.
It became evident last season. Some think his partners have been covering for him the past couple of years, at least in that it allowed him to open up a bit.

Others feel he is still recovering after being hit by a vehicle in Detroit.

Last season was not one of his best and the Flames had difficulty pairing him with someone.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Idk what world you are living in but the flames do not have the pieces to say they are even close to completing their rebuild, their best prospect is zary or hoznek, both players are good but they are not franchise cornerstone pieces. Calgary is a long way away from being cup contenders. If they want to be a bubble team then fine but that would just be pointless considering they have been a bubble team for the majority of the salary cap era.
Our best prospect is Wolf. It's not close either. I'd have Brzustewicz and Coronato well ahead of Honzek. That said, I don't think any fans think that we are anywhere close to completing a rebuild. We have one potentially core young piece in Wolf and 4 or 5 complementary guys who will play, but we have no top 6 center prospects. No top pair D prospects and a couple of guys who will be top 6 wings. We likely won't be a playoff team for 4 years minimum, potentially longer.

The one redeeming thing about our organization has been our area scouts. We do better in late rounds than most teams. Asset management appears to be getting better under Conroy with the caveat that Edwards will kill 1 out of 4 good moves he could have made. Case in point being the Markstrom deal to NJ.

It became evident last season. Some think his partners have been covering for him the past couple of years, at least in that it allowed him to open up a bit.

Last season was not one of his best and the Flames had difficulty pairing him with someone.
That's what I think. He was getting close to 1D all-situations status before that incident. Has been more like a 2nd pairing guy since then. I'm just not sure if he gets back to his prior level with time or not. Either way, 4.4M isn't much for a #3 guy.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

Thanks did not realize this especially getting into accident. Hopefully he gets back to his old self again.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Fans have to stop equating a player being a horrible hockey player, with being overpaid.

Guaranteed teams don’t do it. Whether it’s Nurse, Trouba or a forward like Andrew Copp.. Every team would love to have any of those players. They’re just overpaid, which makes them a luxury, and we live in a cap world.

It’s exactly why people shouldn’t overlook a Trouba for Copp trade this summer.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Fans have to stop equating a player being a horrible hockey player, with being overpaid.

Guaranteed teams don’t do it. Whether it’s Nurse, Trouba or a forward like Andrew Copp.. Every team would love to have any of those players. They’re just overpaid, which makes them a luxury, and we live in a cap world.

It’s exactly why people shouldn’t overlook a Trouba for Copp trade this summer.

Wtf...no

No NHL teams would "love" to have Trouba or Nurse right now with how their playing at even a more modest salary.

Sure they would take a flier on them if they wre significantly cheaper and didn't have lots of term but that's significanlty different than just being a little overpaid AAV wise.

Reactions: TMLife17

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
It's freaking hilarious that as soon as the Lucic/Neal saga ended, a new Battle of Alberta emerged to take its place.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The only way the Oilers get out of the Nurse contract is by buying him out. But now that 31 other NHL teams have been seeing Nurse on the biggest stage, I don’t think many teams will be calling for his services lol.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I know I'm in the minority for Flames fans here, but I'd trade Huberdeau for Nurse. One less year in cap jail when we're competitive and we have too many wingers.

Note: This isn't me saying I want Nurse. It's more the one less year thing and that we have 3 top 6 defensemen and 8 top 9 wingers for 6 spots.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
This would make more sense for the Flames if we still had Sutter. Conroy and Huska seem committed to trying to make Huberdeau work here.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
Had an idea that probably doesn’t deserve its own thread. I’d be willing to take a flier on Nurse it Pittsburgh. Let’s swap bad contracts.

Nurse 9.25m for 6 years

For

Rakell 5m for 4 years
Graves 4.5m for 5 years

Rakell an upgrade for the oilers in their middle 6. Graves kinda sucks but no more than Nurse does.

Pens roll the dice Nurse recovers playing alongside Letang (Nurse/Karlsson would be a horrendous liability)

Hell absolutely no

God no

Rakell is still a useful player when healthy and Graves sucks horribly but just bury him on the 3rd pair for half the cost of a Nurse

Jesus no

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
JH is a 60-70 point getter.... and decent all around player.

Nurse won't play in the NHL again after buyout/end of the contract. I wouldn't even play nurse in the AHL on anything more then a bottom pair in a. blowout.

Nurse is worth less then nothing.

Homers are delusional.

• Haha

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Wtf...no

No NHL teams would "love" to have Trouba or Nurse right now with how their playing at even a more modest salary.

Sure they would take a flier on them if they wre significantly cheaper and didn't have lots of term but that's significanlty different than just being a little overpaid AAV wise.
That’s just ridiculous. What? You think the Oilers and Rangers just play them important minutes for the hell of it? You put either on the market at $6 million and 25 other teams are calling.

It’s all relevant. They’re second pairing players who can actually carry a pairing btw, being asked to take on Top pairing assignments.

Put Trouba on Detroit’s second pairing, and don’t give him the pressure assignments Seider plays against anyway, he’d be a great acquisition playing with, and allowing Edvinsson to carry play. He’d be a very good dman in that situation. You can make that argument with about 25 teams integrating Trouba into their D-Core.

There’s many people who will tell you the Rangers haven’t used him correctly for awhile. Especially after the injury in March. Constantly giving him the toughest matchups, to open things up for Fox. What did they expect?

He’s been used horribly in NY. That’s not a new opinion. There’s been several things written about it over the last couple months. Finally demoting him somewhat, after the damage was already done, doesn’t prove anything.

All those people screaming about him since March, will be the same people screaming next year, demanding to know why he’s suddenly good again playing in a new city. Especially as the Rangers are probably eating salary.

You don’t suddenly forget how to play the game. Trouba is gonna be just fine, when he’s healthy and used properly again. That likely happens in a new city next year, however, teams won’t be lining up at his AAV. The Rangers will have to pay for overpaying a player. That’s generally how this works.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The two most untradeable players in the west.
Agreed. How unfortunate that our rebuild is so hampered by this deal. You guys could spend that cap and have 2 top 4 D for that money. These 2 deals could prevent a cup in Edmonton and any top 3 picks for the rebuild here.

• Love

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Who is still holding onto hope for Nurse?

He really shouldn't even be in the NHL. Complete liability. You can't play defensemen that don't know how to take up passing lanes or box out the crease. The guy is a worse puck watcher than Ben Chiarot.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Who is still holding onto hope for Nurse?

He really shouldn't even be in the NHL. Complete liability. You can't play defensemen that don't know how to take up passing lanes or box out the crease. The guy is a worse puck watcher than Ben Chiarot.

That's a pretty dumb take.

Nurse is overpaid. No one doubts that. Nurse has made some bonehead plays in these playoffs. No question. But he is a legit NHLer. You don't have to like him but let's dial down the hyperbole.

Nurse is part of the defensive line up that is in the Stanley Cup final. No one can say the guy doesn't deserve to be in the league.

Dropping him and adding Huberdeau does nothing to help the Oilers.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Nurse is part of the defensive line up that is in the Stanley Cup final. No one can say the guy doesn't deserve to be in the league.
Jack Johnson was part of the defensive line up that won the Stanley Cup with Colorado.

It's a war of attrition. Oilers have enough quality players that help them swim despite Nurse sinking them.

Just because he can hang around in a 2nd pairing deployment fashion doesn't mean he should. You have to look at the full body of work.

There is nothing wrong with being scored on if your opponent made a great play; however, there is everything wrong with being scored on because of your own cluelessness and poor attention to detail.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: