Proposal: Nurse for Huberdeau

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No thanks. Flames need a top 4 RD, not LD. This move would block Kylington.

I'd rather the Flames to try and acquire Risto (for cheap) and have Nurse and Risto duke it out regularly. I think that would make more sense for both teams.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Want an Alex Pietrangelo.... at least take his contract :sarcasm::laugh:

How would that work with his NMC? I wouldn't be opposed to something like that if the acquisition cost was low. Flames have a brutal hole/gap going forward for RD.

I don't know about other Flames fans, but I'd be intrigued, but there's still a bit to go in hammering out the deal to get me enticed though.

Flames D looking like this right now:

Weegar - Andersson
Kylington* - Miromanov
Hanley - Pachal
X (Prospect)

It surprisingly passable for how much talent was removed from it this year, but it certainly does need to be upgraded. It makes no sense to add Nurse short term or long term though.

There's rumors Tanev may return to Calgary as a UFA... but that might give options for the Flames to move other core pieces (ie: Andersson) to really put some horses into a proper rebuild vs another retool. I'd acquire AP and then have a chat with Ottawa for guys like Backlund, Weegar and Andersson to upgrade their d corps/insulate and mentor their youth. I'd demand an absolute haul from Ottawa and then aim for the Flames to be a scary team in year 2-3 just in time for the new arena.

I wouldn't even worry about AP and Tanev's play as RD as long as they mentor players well and hold down the fort/pass the baton over the next 2-3 seasons .

Reactions: hangman005

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
How would that work with his NMC? I wouldn't be opposed to something like that if the acquisition cost was low. Flames have a brutal hole/gap going forward for RD.

I don't know about other Flames fans, but I'd be intrigued, but there's still a bit to go in hammering out the deal to get me enticed though.

Flames D looking like this right now:

Weegar - Andersson
Kylington* - Miromanov
Hanley - Pachal
X (Prospect)

It surprisingly passable for how much talent was removed from it this year, but it certainly does need to be upgraded. It makes no sense to add Nurse short term or long term though.

There's rumors Tanev may return to Calgary as a UFA... but that might give options for the Flames to move other core pieces (ie: Andersson) to really put some horses into a proper rebuild vs another retool. I'd acquire AP and then have a chat with Ottawa for guys like Backlund, Weegar and Andersson to upgrade their d corps/insulate and mentor their youth. I'd demand an absolute haul from Ottawa and then aim for the Flames to be a scary team in year 2-3 just in time for the new arena.

I wouldn't even worry about AP and Tanev's play as RD as long as they mentor players well and hold down the fort/pass the baton over the next 2-3 seasons .
His NMC would be the biggest challenge, my go to solution is a night on the town :laugh:. Is not even I think he's bad, but his contract won't age well, we should try to move it before we can't, and would save us having to potentially ship Teddy.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
His NMC would be the biggest challenge, my go to solution is a night on the town :laugh:. Is not even I think he's bad, but his contract won't age well, we should try to move it before we can't, and would save us having to potentially ship Teddy.

I'm not sure that would actually work TBH. I think what Calgary can sell is that it's a nice place to raise kids and our media isn't as rabid as other Canadian cities (kinda like Ottawa). Quite a few Flames roster players have young families and from many of the quiet stories out there, the wives reach out to each other and help each other out. I've been critical of the ownership mandate, but there's no question I'd absolutely go to bat for them in saying they've been awesome at developing a great supporting community for the players.

Tanev offered his home to Hanley when he was acquired from the Stars. Made the transition especially easy for Hanley due to him having a pregnant wife and a young boy. They even left toys behind for Hanley's son to play with. Tanev is a fricken gem. I really hope the rumors of him wanting to come back to Calgary are true. I love these type of community stories.

AP has 4 kids and his wife is a STL native (triplets as part of the clan I believe)? That's a really tough sell to relocate a family like that, but a dude like Tanev could maybe be a huge key to convincing him. Maybe Hanifin and former dudes like Engelland could put in a good word too?

However, I'm not unaware that STL to Calgary is like 7+ hours vs Vegas to STL is 3.5 hours. As much as the Tkachuk clan (basically STL royalty) can probably vouch that Calgary is a decent place to be (we probably still have MT if he was given a long term contract and captaincy), I don't know if we could convince his wife (similar reasoning to Gaudreau). Our weather sucks in comparison to STL and Vegas though.

I'm also not necessarily saying I want the Flames to build a country club atmosphere and toil around doing nothing interesting on ice wise, but I also am realistic that the Flames are stuck in mediocrity and have to aim for a different type of approach towards a return to contention (ie: Conroy has mentioned a Dallas model). AP isn't totally out of the question depending on what type of assets we could also get from VGK (ie: if VGK will allow Flames to do a quantity for quality move along with AP). VGK gets depth and cap flexibility in exchange for quality asset(s)?

This is way off topic from the OP though and a new thread might be needed. But I'm honestly hella intrigued even if some of my other Flames brethren might not be huge on the idea.

Reactions: hangman005

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I wouldn't be willing to tie up a retention slot for 7 years on such a small amount, and I don't think a team would expect it from another

So, Nurse for Huberdeau straight up with no retention...?

I think if you're Calgary entering a rebuild/retool, you gamble on the younger, cheaper player with the shorter contract

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I’m right on the verge of preferring to play Huberdeau at LD than endure another Darnell Nurse experience in the playoffs. Dude has been abysmal. He’s our 5th best D at this point.
Had an idea that probably doesn’t deserve its own thread. I’d be willing to take a flier on Nurse it Pittsburgh. Let’s swap bad contracts.

Nurse 9.25m for 6 years

For

Rakell 5m for 4 years
Graves 4.5m for 5 years

Rakell an upgrade for the oilers in their middle 6. Graves kinda sucks but no more than Nurse does.

Pens roll the dice Nurse recovers playing alongside Letang (Nurse/Karlsson would be a horrendous liability)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Had an idea that probably doesn’t deserve its own thread. I’d be willing to take a flier on Nurse it Pittsburgh. Let’s swap bad contracts.

Nurse 9.25m for 6 years

For

Rakell 5m for 4 years
Graves 4.5m for 5 years

Rakell an upgrade for the oilers in their middle 6. Graves kinda sucks but no more than Nurse does.

Pens roll the dice Nurse recovers playing alongside Letang (Nurse/Karlsson would be a horrendous liability)
I’d do it. I’ve always liked Rakell.

Ledge And Dairy

I'd say this trade would help your team as well since Nurse has one less year on his contract, and can play top 4 minutes when healthy.
Calgary isn't tanking for 7 years LMFAO. Flames don't consider this. Nurse has always been bad and has never had the ability to play at his cap hit value. Huberdeau at least has been a star forward and on that roster would probably be again

Reactions: Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
It's interesting in that Nurse could bounce back with a Anderson pairing. Then again Hubs could bounce back with a McDrai pairing of some combo. I think however it's too big a risk for these 2 rivals to risk one fleeces the other here. If these 2 players were on teams that weren't such rivals I could see it happening.
Andersson needs someone to babysit him to be effective and Nurse isn't that guy.

Huberdeau will return to form. We saw that the last third of the year once they found him some linemates.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Andersson needs someone to babysit him to be effective and Nurse isn't that guy.

Huberdeau will return to form. We saw that the last third of the year once they found him some linemates.
Didn't realize Anderson would need a sitter as thought of him as a decent 2 way guy.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Haha no. Flames wouldn’t even do it without retention. Hube is a serviceable winger that doesn’t have to be sheltered. Nurse is overpaid and can’t be relied on for anything better than middle pairing minutes.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'd rather get leprosy and every body part fall off before trading Huberdeau for bum ass Nurse.

Huberdeau is overpaid.

Nurse should be in Russia's 3rd tier league.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Calgary isn't tanking for 7 years LMFAO. Flames don't consider this. Nurse has always been bad and has never had the ability to play at his cap hit value. Huberdeau at least has been a star forward and on that roster would probably be again
most teams tanks take about 3-5 years to be complete and if it takes 5 years then only having to trade a 1 year contract is a lot easier than haaving to wait for a two year contract, even buying it out makes a huge difference since you'd be paying for 2 years besides 4 years.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Nurse isn't a need for Calgary, and Hubey probably makes too much as a reclamation project for the Oilers

Ledge And Dairy

most teams tanks take about 3-5 years to be complete and if it takes 5 years then only having to trade a 1 year contract is a lot easier than haaving to wait for a two year contract, even buying it out makes a huge difference since you'd be paying for 2 years besides 4 years.
Most teams that start a rebuild aren't building around prospects that are already 22 years old. Calgary is entering year 2 of their official rebuild. But they've basically been heading that direction since Gaudreau left. Also I think you are missing the whole idea of when the rebuild would actually start here.

With a contract like Huberdeau's or Nurse's you are basically unable to actually start a rebuild until the final 3, maybe 4 years of that contract because that's when ELC's end and new young stars need to be paid. On top of that the Flames owner is currently paying for a new arena to be built for 26/27, there's no world where he would let us actively try to bottom feed until 2030

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Most teams that start a rebuild aren't building around prospects that are already 22 years old. Calgary is entering year 2 of their official rebuild. But they've basically been heading that direction since Gaudreau left. Also I think you are missing the whole idea of when the rebuild would actually start here.

With a contract like Huberdeau's or Nurse's you are basically unable to actually start a rebuild until the final 3, maybe 4 years of that contract because that's when ELC's end and new young stars need to be paid. On top of that the Flames owner is currently paying for a new arena to be built for 26/27, there's no world where he would let us actively try to bottom feed until 2030
Idk what world you are living in but the flames do not have the pieces to say they are even close to completing their rebuild, their best prospect is zary or hoznek, both players are good but they are not franchise cornerstone pieces. Calgary is a long way away from being cup contenders. If they want to be a bubble team then fine but that would just be pointless considering they have been a bubble team for the majority of the salary cap era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad