0 Congratulations to Florida

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
The story: Shortly before the draft, a rumor circulated that teams had been told not to do the usual “thank the hosts and congratulate the champs” schtick that every GM who isn’t Tim Murray always feels obligated to do. Just make the pick, they were apparently told. And don’t bring the entire front office on stage with you to do it.

How exciting it was: For me, personally, just about the best thing ever.

How likely it felt: Impossible. I’ve spent years complaining about this, and I know I’m not alone. Surely the league hadn’t finally figured out how much everyone hates all the stalling.

But then: They actually did it! Mostly. With a couple of exceptions we can chalk up to force-of-habit, nobody thanked Las Vegas or congratulated Florida, so it appears the rumor was true. But teams were still doing the annoying shoutout to their local draft party, and some of the time saved went to some teams introducing a guest picker, including some celebrities. (Celine Dion and Michael Buffer both got big reactions.) That part was a fun touch. But all in all, two out of three ain’t bad, so congratulations to the league on a huge improvement.

And hey, since you NHL GMs have shown you can move fast when you need to … how about you hurry up and make some trades to spice up Day 2?

DGB article on the athletic. Apparently the league requested it

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
All the losers groveling at Zito’s feet.
1719632163799.png

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Hate it when you win the Stanley Cup but it becomes meaningless because no one gives you a fake compliment at the entry draft.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
The nhl couldn't afford more time

Sure but a win is a win man , why ruin it for the little amount of fans they do have , was a good run , they deserve it
Of course they deserve it, but I don’t think the victory is ruined for anyone because no other GM decided to congratulate them publicly during the draft.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad