Confirmed Trade: [NSH/PIT] Jordan Frasca for Cody Glass, MIN '25 3rd, '26 6th

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Still really surprised Cody Glass hasn't "put it together" more as an NHLer. I really thought he'd be a decent playmaking Top-6 Center. He seemed to have all the tools, and a very solid hockey brbrain, albeit, in a very "quiet" way in Juniors.

Just never seems able to really assert himself at the NHL level. Not quite fast enough or direct enough or attacking enough, or skilled enough. Just one of those guys who i guess is missing a little bit in most areas that ends up holding him back, without anything to really hang his hat on.

Still not a bad gamble whatsoever by the Penguins. Worst case, he's just sorta...there. But i do think there is still a bit of untapped upside.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Still really surprised Cody Glass hasn't "put it together" more as an NHLer. I really thought he'd be a decent playmaking Top-6 Center. He seemed to have all the tools, and a very solid hockey brbrain, albeit, in a very "quiet" way in Juniors.

Just never seems able to really assert himself at the NHL level. Not quite fast enough or direct enough or attacking enough, or skilled enough. Just one of those guys who i guess is missing a little bit in most areas that ends up holding him back, without anything to really hang his hat on.

Still not a bad gamble whatsoever by the Penguins. Worst case, he's just sorta...there. But i do think there is still a bit of untapped upside.
I feel like in the future “hockey brain” is going to be a diagnosis and not a compliment

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Glass is basically the more expensive less physical version. So this is basically a contract swap and payment for absorbing Glass' caphit. Was hoping we could dump Glass for less than this but atleast it didnt cost a 2nd
Regardless of whether Glass ever pans out or not, it's hyperbole to think they're basically the same. Glass played 41 games in the NHL last year and 72 the prior year. Frasca might not even accumulate those games in the *AHL* in any season of his career.

One has been an underwhelming, kind of injury prone NHLer, while the other is a ECHLer who'll be lucky to eek out a 4th line career at the AHL level.

They're not the same "version".

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

The confidence/assertiveness I think is the biggest issue. He was so rattled by missing so many games with rookie year injuries, you could tell after that point he was playing too tentatively. He needed a sports psychologist between his rookie and sophomore seasons. And it's all because management insisted on playing him when he wasn't physically ready playing on his off position on a third line with Cody Eakin who had become a turnover machine and having to try to take the puck away from much bigger bottom 6 grinders.

Vegas didn't really do him and his mental state any favors making him ride the pressbox for huge stretches of the following season when he was on a two way deal and their AHL club was a 20-40 minute drive away. They could've kept him coming up to NHL practices while getting AHL starts, but instead he missed a ton of game time for seemingly no reason at all when he could have been playing top line minutes for the farm team and working on his pro game/recapturing his lost confidence.

By the time Vegas finally decided to let him get some hockey games in with the AHL team, he understandably looked defeated and unmotivated. Feels like it's been an uphill battle for him ever since. Like sure, on some level the drive just has to come from the player but the way Vegas treated his "development" was a bad joke. He had the vision, passing and hockey IQ to at least be a very serviceable second line center, or at least it seemed that way when he was a prospect. Before he finally got his NHL shot, he looked poised to have a very promising career and he looked worthy of the 6th overall selection.

Hell, my personal viewings, I thought Glass showed more promise than Suzuki who looked terrified of activating off the perimeter to get closer to traffic and I was not the least bit upset that Suzuki went to Montreal instead of Glass. Hindsight is obviously what it is, but I think Vegas really bungled his development. Hague, Whitecloud, and Thompson are really about the only prospects Vegas has developed properly.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So Hayes and Glass AEW cap dumps I see

Probably smart for the Pens they are likely a bubble playoff team so take more picks

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

agreed. Glass will play behind Sid and Gino. He might develop into an excellent 3C.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
The only thing I remember abiut Frasca in WBS was in his AHL on one of his first shifts he hit a dude on Hershey hard bith players fell in the Hershey bench then he started mouthing off at some meathead, they fought and he got tossed, after that I don't remember him doing much of anything. ....like ever.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
agreed. Glass will play behind Sid and Gino. He might develop into an excellent 3C.
He won't be able to stay healthy enough and there is something else Brunette didn't like because even after scoring a hat trick he got benched and never played another game for us. They even called up Parsinnen from the AHL instead of playing Glass in the playoffs. Now that may simply be that he got injured again and in a physical series Brunette thought he might break in half, but either way he didn't play.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

It almost seemed like Glass was FINALLY "on his way" to making it after that 2022-23 season which landed him the $2.5M bridge contract. The Preds braintrust was glowing and patting themselves on the back about how smart they were to put him in the AHL the preceding season, and publicizing how well he responded to that, and then that season even though 35 pts might seem a little modest, he basically showed enough potential that we started pencilling him in as #2C and thinking the $2.5M was going to be worth it.

So it's really only last season that was the "blip". He wasn't just injured, he was also a healthy scratch frequently. I just think he doesn't have much "battle" in him, and if you aren't going to be a player who scores above 0.5 ppg, then you have to bring something else. And he really brought nothing else. He has size, but doesn't really use it in any meaningful way. He's not physical. Some of his defensive numbers might look ok on paper, I personally have never seen anything from him that makes me think he could be a bottom-6 fixture or PK player, he is "just there" and doesn't show any particular defensive or shutdown aptitude to my eye. He's in the lineup for his vision/playmaking on offense, but he just doesn't put up good enough numbers in that respect to justify his salary or lineup slot.

I don't think he'll make it as an NHL player, unfortunately. But you can't fault any team which has the Cap space for taking the chance. Maybe something finally "clicks" for him? If you also get a 3rd+6th pick out of it, it's a no-lose situation.

I guess because of that 3rd+6th it's Pittsburgh who ultimately wins the weird Ellis/Patrick/Glass swap scenario in the end! :D

Reactions: biturbo19

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
He won't be able to stay healthy enough and there is something else Brunette didn't like because even after scoring a hat trick he got benched and never played another game for us. They even called up Parsinnen from the AHL instead of playing Glass in the playoffs. Now that may simply be that he got injured again and in a physical series Brunette thought he might break in half, but either way he didn't play.
My guess:
He wasnt strong or fast enough offensively to fit into the top 6 and He doesnt play a strong enough defensive game to be with the 3rd line, he doesnt play a strong physical game to be on the 4th line. He just doesnt fit into how Brunette wanted his lines to be. Maybe he can work out in Pittsburgh

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Glass has sure fallen, from 6th overall to being traded with two picks for a guy who mostly plays in the ECHL. Sure glad the Habs got Suzuki and not Glass in the Pacioretti trade.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Nashville acquired a 23-year-old undrafted player who has played 11 gains in the AHL and the rest of his career in the ECHL since graduating from junior hockey two years ago. This was a Ron Hextall pick, and apparently the Penguins current management were ready to let him go.

Whatever they got back, the Penguins didn't give up much of anything here and at least gained a vacant contract slot.

Cody Glass on a one-year $2.5 million contract that ends with RFA rights to Pittsburgh if they qualify him at the end of this season isn't much of a risk at all. Depending on his performance, Pittsburgh might benefit from that part of the trade alone.

Tossing in a third-round pick this year and a sixth-round pick in 2026 is nothing but a plus-plus for them too.

I think Pittsburgh did pretty well on this one.

An old businessman I knew once told me that you never broke making a little bit of money on a deal.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Nashville acquired a 23-year-old undrafted player who has played 11 gains in the AHL and the rest of his career in the ECHL since graduating from junior hockey two years ago. This was a Ron Hextall pick, and apparently the Penguins current management were ready to let him go.

Whatever they got back, the Penguins didn't give up much of anything here and at least gained a vacant contract slot.

Cody Glass on a one-year $2.5 million contract that ends with RFA rights to Pittsburgh if they qualify him at the end of this season isn't much of a risk at all. Depending on his performance, Pittsburgh might benefit from that part of the trade alone.

Tossing in a third-round pick this year and a sixth-round pick in 2026 is nothing but a plus-plus for them too.

I think Pittsburgh did pretty well on this one.

An old businessman I knew once told me that you never broke making a little bit of money on a deal.
As a Pens fan I did not know who he was.

I figure we took a 3rd and 6th for a cap dump.

Can't be upset with that.

Cap space is a weapon.

Reactions: Ciao

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This may sound crazy, but I do believe in Cody Glass still. Put him on the worst team in the league that needs a number one centre and I think he'll pan out.

One thing I noticed is his development is delayed and needs a lot more comfort in the NHL. If he goes to the right team he'll be a stud. I don't see Pittsburgh as a fit, but one team I think he'd do well with is Chicago no matter what forward position he'd be slotted into.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad