Not What You WANT to Happen, What Do You THINK Will Happen With Marner?

What will happen with the Marner situation?

• Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then re-signs with the team long term

Votes: 69 34.5%
  • Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA

Votes: 79 39.5%
  • Marner gets traded before Christmas

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Marner gets moved sometime in the new year or at the trade deadline

Votes: 12 6.0%

• Total voters

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I'd rather keep Marner and wait out Tavares' contract. I don't like the idea of trading an almost 100-point winger for pennies on the dollar.

Reactions: bax

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I will believe he gets traded when I see it.

The fact is It's been 8 years and they haven't made any core changes, not only have they not made any core changes but the SECOND it was even THOUGHT of they fired the guy that thought about it.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
With all due respect, listening to Tre speak about Marner after being asked about his status yesterday, sure sounds like a guy who will be moved this offseason.

I don't see where the hand wringing is coming from in regards to the team possibly keeping him. I believe he's as good as gone.

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With all due respect, listening to Tre speak about Marner after being asked about his status yesterday, sure sounds like a guy who will be moved this offseason.

I don't see where the hand wringing is coming from in regards to the team possibly keeping him. I believe he's as good as gone.
Possibly.
IMO, it's just speak. I don't know how you can take anything definitive from it.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Possibly.
IMO, it's just speak. I don't know how you can take anything definitive from it.
fair. But reading between the lines, it sure wasn't a ringing endorsement for wanting to re-sign the player. If that were the case, they would just come out and say it. "We like the player, and want him back".

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
fair. But reading between the lines, it sure wasn't a ringing endorsement for wanting to re-sign the player. If that were the case, they would just come out and say it. "We like the player, and want him back".
With the climate around the team the way it is after another loss, a comment like that would just cause an unnecessary shit storm.
Even if that's what he believes there is no value in announcing it. Leaving things vague keeps all options open.

Reactions: OddyOh

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Treliving sure sounded super tight lipped yesterday. Seems like he’s trying to move him from his answers.

“Mitch knows the type of player and person we think he is” wow Brad!! That gives us confidence lol 😂

Any GM would say “we want to get an extension done and have Mitch here for a long time” he didn’t say that at all

Reactions: CincoHolio

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Treliving sure sounded super tight lipped yesterday. Seems like he’s trying to move him from his answers.

“Mitch knows the type of player and person we think he is” wow Brad!! That gives us confidence lol 😂

Any GM would say “we want to get an extension done and have Mitch here for a long time” he didn’t say that at all
Pretty much. That's what I read into it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pretty much. That's what I read into it.

Nevertheless, Treliving understands that Marner will occupy a large portion of off-season conversations but declined to address any of the speculation regarding his star.

1719493837833.png

Asked about the trade rumours and even the recent report of Marner being sent to Utah, Treliving said he didn't see the report and while more reports will be on their way, you can't get wrapped up around them at this time of the year.

1719493898517.png

“Based on what we’re hearing, the Leafs — in their exploration of a Marner trade through calls to teams around the league — are already getting a good sense of the challenges involved with making this deal.

“One, in particular, seems to be a lack of teams that a) Marner would conceivably accept a trade to that can b) accommodate his $10.9 million cap hit for next season and c) are willing to send back piece(s) the Leafs would find attractive, which would ideally include an impact defenceman.”

Toronto keeps exploring all of their options, and it includes what the roster could look like if Marner accepts a move and the return available in that major transaction.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Ignoring that there is no value in declaring that, what would be the reaction world wide had he said that?

IMO, it's nice that there is someone professional and competent in charge.
Treliving doesn't seem to need to make the grand statements like Dubas (we can and we will) did.

Last edited:
Reactions: bax and CincoHolio

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner to Tampa for Sergachev + 1st. Tampa pays him Kutch money which is same take home money as $12m is here. We get a top 2 RHD, cap space and a 1st.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I remember when Alan Greenspan was Chairman of the Federal Reserve during the dot com boom and every time he made a speech it was analysed to death by people trying to get a read on where interests rates were headed.

I feel the same way reading people's comments on Treliving. Trying to figure out if Marner is getting traded. Of course Treliving, like Greenspan, is playing it as neutral as possible.

Using all that fancy corporate jargon we commoners refer to as bullshit.

We all know Treliving's trying to trade Marner. He admitted to trying to trade Nylander last summer. This was AFTER Shanahan called all the members of the core and informed them they'd be safe.

So why would anyone think Treliving isn't trying to trade Marner too.

If there's one thing I'm sure of it's that Mitch Marner's future with the Toronto Maple Leafs is coming near to an end. This is a necessary move for the good of the team. Even if unwelcome by a good chunk of Leafs Nation.

Just like when Alan Greenspan raised interest rates and popped the dot com bubble.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

It's certainly different how he talked about Nylander. With Nylander he said we want him back and want to get something done. Hasn't said we want to keep Mitch.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I'd rather keep Marner and wait out Tavares' contract. I don't like the idea of trading an almost 100-point winger for pennies on the dollar.

First, you do not know that they would get pennies on the dollar. Why not wait to see the return before judging? Second, have you never heard of addition by subtraction?

I will believe he gets traded when I see it.

The fact is It's been 8 years and they haven't made any core changes, not only have they not made any core changes but the SECOND it was even THOUGHT of they fired the guy that thought about it.

That isn't why he was fired, and there is a new boss now anyway (Pelley).

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad