Not What You WANT to Happen, What Do You THINK Will Happen With Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What will happen with the Marner situation?

• Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then re-signs with the team long term

Votes: 69 34.5%
  • Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA

Votes: 79 39.5%
  • Marner gets traded before Christmas

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Marner gets moved sometime in the new year or at the trade deadline

Votes: 12 6.0%

• Total voters

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
M Chucky didn't find his game in Florida, he just kept going and reached more success with a better team. Willy and Hubes are very different players. Hubes is closer to Mitch, but even then its a very different story.

before florida 0.55 pts game
in florida 1,1 pts/ game

a better team, we talked about a team who was 1 game lost by pittsburgh vs chicago away to be out of playoff.

The biggest difference between calgary and florida or florida before maurice/ after is how he get his d more involve in the offensive end to create space for every foward in front. The foward are able to recognize the situation when a D step in and take his place in the defensive end and when they get caught out of position, they've got a goalie able to make key save. And they are more agressive on the forecheck too. It's the reason why their offensive move from 2.35 2020 to 2022 and raise at 3,07 since Maurice. That's create more space for everybody including depht player and everybody get involve vs leafs offensive who turn 3 guy who played most of the time at 3v5 because d stay static at the blue line or off the rush and pratically never involve ( except when they trailing late and absolutly need a goal)

huberdeau outside he's a better playmaker than shooter have nothing to compare with Marner. He's a pure offensive player who's care about 1 sideydyw2! of the ice, pretty inconsistant and taking a lot of shift off in the defensive. That's why he didn't had a pretty good relationship with Sutter who didn't really this. That part of huberdeau is much more closer of Nylander than Marner and it's not even close.

M Chucky didn't find his game in Florida, he just kept going and reached more success with a better team. Willy and Hubes are very different players. Hubes is closer to Mitch, but even then its a very different story.

before florida 0.55 pts game
in florida 1,1 pts/ game

a better team, we talked about a team who was 1 game lost by pittsburgh vs chicago away to be out of playoff. Maurice just find a way to get the best of his player come playoff and the biggest change he did is to get his d more involve in the offensive end. The foward are able to recognize the situation when a D step in and take his place in the defensive end and when they get caught out of position, they've got a goalie able to make key save. And they are more agressive on the forecheck too and the biggest reason why their offensive move from 2.35 2020 to 2022 and raise at 3,07 since Maurice. This way of playing don't only help panther core player to have succes but also help depht to produce and the pressure

huberdeau outside he's a better playmaker than shooter have nothing to compare with Marner. He's a pure offensive player who's care about 1 sideydyw2! of the ice, pretty inconsistant and taking a lot of shift off in the defensive. That's why he didn't had a pretty good relationship with Sutter who didn't really this. That part of huberdeau is much more closer of Nylander than Marner.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Id take just about any outcome other than running this back. I used to absolutely loathe Boston and Tampa and feel disdain towards the refs for not calling a clean enough game.

I've had a complete change of heart. This team can either become the bully, or continue to be the highest paid victims of the league. The core specifically have bad body language and have sad puppy dog eyes. I'm over it, no more excuses. If Marner is extended that is the most Corporate, soul-less, cowardly, gutless transaction.

"Oh so you're saying you can't win with Marner? How about Kadri/Kessel/Bozak?"

Yes I am saying that we can't win with Marner on this leafs core. Who cares what ex leafs are up to? How is Jack Campbell, Kapenan, Johnsson, Freddy Andersen, Bunting, Ritchie, Ilya Mikheyev, Engvall, etc.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I vote, leave this one and close the other. :thumbu:

Perhaps people have changed their minds?
So we're giving muligans now? Probably a good idea. Some Millennials needs a safe space to edit the certainty of their world view. Lets forget the implications that some were stupid for thinking that Marner could be back.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So we're giving muligans now? Probably a good idea. Some Millennials needs a safe space to edit the certainty of their world view. Lets forget the implications that some were stupid for thinking that Marner could be back.

And while we're at it, let's forget the implications that some were stupid for thinking that Marner could be traded despite having an NMC. Pretty weird calling people stupid for thinking that something that has happened many times before could possibly happen again but what can I say, Marner is like a holy relic to some people and common sense goes out the window.

Oh wait, I'm responding to one of them ... never mind.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
And while we're at it, let's forget the implications that some were stupid for thinking that Marner could be traded despite having an NMC. Pretty weird calling people stupid for thinking that something that has happened many times before could possibly happen again but what can I say, Marner is like a holy relic to some people and common sense goes out the window.

Oh wait, I'm responding to one of them ... never mind.
I dont follow your logic. It is stupid to suggest a trade on the last year of a NMC entering into a UFA contract if the player wants to stay

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
People are allowed to change their minds, nothing wrong with that.
Other thread is mostly just a bunch of childish, repetitive garbage.
I'm not hopeful but perhaps this thread won't evolve to that.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I dont follow your logic. It is stupid to suggest a trade on the last year of a NMC entering into a UFA contract if the player wants to stay

Try thinking about it for a little bit then. It's super simple and I'm sure you can figure out.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Watch how florida playing, watch how vegas, colorado, tampa played... All those team had something similar, their D are constantly involve in the offensive game.

The only time we saw Toronto playing with D involve is when they was trailing by couple of goal or trailing by 1 in 3 period. That's it.

You want to get the best of Marner, matthews and nylander, you need to find a way to create space and get d involve is one of the best way yo get it done. If you want to try playing with cycling at 3v5 all game long and taking shot from outside.. Will be hard to score whatever against who you're playing

fix the real problem if you want a real change.

Last edited:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Id take just about any outcome other than running this back. I used to absolutely loathe Boston and Tampa and feel disdain towards the refs for not calling a clean enough game.

I've had a complete change of heart. This team can either become the bully, or continue to be the highest paid victims of the league. The core specifically have bad body language and have sad puppy dog eyes. I'm over it, no more excuses. If Marner is extended that is the most Corporate, soul-less, cowardly, gutless transaction.

"Oh so you're saying you can't win with Marner? How about Kadri/Kessel/Bozak?"

Yes I am saying that we can't win with Marner on this leafs core. Who cares what ex leafs are up to? How is Jack Campbell, Kapenan, Johnsson, Freddy Andersen, Bunting, Ritchie, Ilya Mikheyev, Engvall, etc.
The problem now is ,how many free agents want to come here to be , "another savior ",,with the other 3 making more and havnt done jack shiti mean ,it's not my money just can't see this core ever duplicating mcdavid or hyman in their lives in the playoffs
We've seen this long enuff ,2 years from now their superstar status will be declining
Still stars but always in need of deadl8ne saviors or cheap bargain to come thru

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They are paralyzed with fear about moving on from him so My gut feeling is they will sign him at some point.
The only thing I can hope is the team wait’s until after the playoffs next year. To sign him before that would be a major mistake and will screw this team for years to come

Reactions: KaberLeaf

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
They are paralyzed with fear about moving on from him so My gut feeling is they will sign him at some point.
The only thing I can hope is the team wait’s until after the playoffs next year. To sign him before that would be a major mistake and will screw this team for years to come
So, gutless management endorsing gutless players.

There’s a logic to it, but it’s pathetic and it’s why we will continue to achieve nothing with this group, from the top down.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So, gutless management endorsing gutless players.

There’s a logic to it, but it’s pathetic and it’s why we will continue to achieve nothing with this group, from the top down.
Jersey sales, Pelley was wrong, it actually is about jersey sales and season tickets..............

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
He'll resign for big money because Toronto players always seem to find a way to wrangle the most money out of Maple Leafs GMs. Won't be paid more than Mathews.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
He'll resign for big money because Toronto players always seem to find a way to wrangle the most money out of Maple Leafs GMs. Won't be paid more than Mathews.
Seems like they just have to ask politely.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Cant see them walking away from Marner, too much talent. In my opinion he is re-signed and Tavares is not.
Let’s see what kind of discount Tavares would be willing to take to keep his family here. If we can get him as low as 4 million sign me up. It’s not like we have a great new 2C waiting to replace him. People underestimate how hard it is to find good 2C’s, you often have to give up a bunch of great assets and 6+ million

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Let’s see what kind of discount Tavares would be willing to take to keep his family here. If we can get him as low as 4 million sign me up. It’s not like we have a great new 2C waiting to replace him. People underestimate how hard it is to find good 2C’s, you often have to give up a bunch of great assets and 6+ million
We have what is probably a perfectly good 2C (40G, 58A) ready to play there when Tavares moves to 3C, either this year or next (if they re-sign him).

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Summer training, Mitch-style vs. Max-style:

marner-1.jpg

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Right because Nylander has worked so well at center
He's never really been tried at centre with the Leafs because of Tavares, despite being drafted as a centre and playing everywhere else, including internationally, at centre.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad