Not What You WANT to Happen, What Do You THINK Will Happen With Marner?

What will happen with the Marner situation?

• Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then re-signs with the team long term

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA

Votes: 76 39.4%
  • Marner gets traded before Christmas

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • Marner gets moved sometime in the new year or at the trade deadline

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ho
I get any part wrong? Please, do share your insight.
I'm guessing he does not agree on your opinion and the story around it. For myself and all the long suffering Leafs fans, I hope you are wrong.

Gonna be interesting to see hear what Tre says when asked about resigning Marner like he was asked last year about resigning Nylander.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think our cap issues are a little overblown.

RFAs: Dewar, Liljegren, Robertson, Gregor, Steeves.

Potential ELCs/cheap contracts: Cowan, Greb, Minten, Tverberg, Rifai.

Currently, our roster is:

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
X - Kampf - Jarnkrok
X - Holmberg - Reaves

Rielly - X
McCabe - X
Benoit - Timmins

Woll
X

There is $19.7 million to spend on upgrades.

There is some work ahead, but it is a decent start.

Also, I can see a possibility of some combination of Kampf/Jarnkrok/Reaves (minors)/Timmins all being moved in some way, which if they were all moved, it'd be $26.4 million in space, but some more holes to fill (could be ELCs/RFAs mostly).
You say 19.7 million to spend on upgrades. More like 19.7 million to replace all the players who were on the roster last year and not listed here, whether or not that'll end up being an "upgrade" is doubtful.

Not sure what you mean by "our cap issues are a little overblown". Our cap issues are what they are, and they prevent us from improving ona a mediocre team. Yes we can run it back with half the cap going to 4 forwards but by far the most likely scenario is another year like the last one - 1st round playoff fodder.

Reactions: egd27 and ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
after watching mcdavid ,how can u not move these guys out .mcdavid is worth 20 million
It's doubtful McDavid would be available. I can't imagine anyone would be opposed to bringing him in if he were.

I get any part wrong? Please, do share your insight.
Everything they do is to try and win. You may not agree with the approach but the intent is there.

Reactions: bax

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Best option for both sides is a sign and trade. Leafs will hopefully get a return that will help them defensively, Marner gets a fresh start and a longer term deal (8 yrs opposed to 7). Signing Marner and keeping him, expecting a different result is ridiculous. This core has NOT accomplished anything in 8 seasons, something has to change.

Marner is NOT like Mc David. Marner is afraid to go into battle for the puck and will avoid taking a hit at all costs.
Can’t see Marner thriving under Chief’s style of hockey, I mean you can carry one diva on the team, possibly two, but no way it works with three of them and that’s without cap considerations……….

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Ho

I'm guessing he does not agree on your opinion and the story around it. For myself and all the long suffering Leafs fans, I hope you are wrong.

Gonna be interesting to see hear what Tre says when asked about resigning Marner like he was asked last year about resigning Nylander.
Tre’s going to look like a idiotic puppet if they resign Marner, I mean on a epic scale, people will quickly forget about the damage Boy Wonder did and focus on the current idiot………

Reactions: ToneDog and myleafs

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It's doubtful McDavid would be available. I can't imagine anyone would be opposed to bringing him in if he were.

Everything they do is to try and win. You may not agree with the approach but the intent is there.
I don't think they have any idea what it takes to win. Im sure they feel like they are trying and are "right there" but they aren't and every series after the 1st has shown us that. After last years Stanley cup Maurice talked about how much easier it will be to coach the panthers because now they understand what it takes to go far and it takes a lot. We are so far away from that level of compete it isn't funny.

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't think they have any idea what it takes to win. Im sure they feel like they are trying and are "right there" but they aren't and every series after the 1st has shown us that. After last years Stanley cup Maurice talked about how much easier it will be to coach the panthers because now they understand what it takes to go far and it takes a lot. We are so far away from that level of compete it isn't funny.
Their real objective is season ticket renewals, jersey sales, and cable tv subscribers. Any success is just icing on the cake………

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Everything they do is to try to make money. You may not agree with the approach but the intent is there.
FYP.
Their real objective is season ticket renewals, jersey sales, and cable tv subscribers. Any success is just icing on the cake………
Exactly. IMO anyone who thinks winning is prioritized over making money is just being naive.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You say 19.7 million to spend on upgrades. More like 19.7 million to replace all the players who were on the roster last year and not listed here, whether or not that'll end up being an "upgrade" is doubtful.

Not sure what you mean by "our cap issues are a little overblown". Our cap issues are what they are, and they prevent us from improving ona a mediocre team. Yes we can run it back with half the cap going to 4 forwards but by far the most likely scenario is another year like the last one - 1st round playoff fodder.

You are counting Brodie, Samsanov, and Klingberg in players that need to be replaced... not hard to do for less than the 12 million they got.

Even Bertuzzi is replaceable for far less than what he was paid.

That is what I mean by our cap issues are overblown.

If they can't upgrade the roster over replacement-level players that are leaving + Domi, then they have major issues and maybe we should start looking for a new GM.

Or just plain stupid………

I think winning leads to ticket/merchandise sales and anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain stupid.

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You are counting Brodie, Samsanov, and Klingberg in players that need to be replaced... not hard to do for less than the 12 million they got.

That is what I mean by our cap issues are a little overblown.

I think winning leads to ticket/merchandise sales and anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain stupid.
Leafs have been losing for decades, decades, yet they continue to rake in huge profits, anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain stupid

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

That is what I mean by our cap issues are overblown.

If they can't upgrade the roster over replacement-level players that are leaving + Domi, then they have major issues and maybe we should start looking for a new GM.

Ya I don't know about that.

Re. your "plain stupid" comment, I remember you now. I'll leave you to your schoolyard insults and converse with the adults instead.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No question, really dumb. Pretty naïve to think winning isn't all that matters.
People have often confused incompetence with indifference.

Reactions: notbias

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Ya I don't know about that.

Re. your "plain stupid" comment, I remember you now. I'll leave you to your schoolyard insults and converse with the adults instead.

Was using the other posters same description of people, but sounds good, carry on.

As for Bertuzzi, replacing 3rd line numbers for $5.5 million should not be too hard.

Not knowing the team’s true priority is money not success is where your ignorant………

I don't doubt that their main priority is money, as most businesses run that way.

Winning is in their best interest for growing the brand/making money.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't doubt that their main priority is money, as most businesses run that way.

Winning is in their best interest for growing the brand/making money.
Just this once, I'll respond by borrowing a phrase from you:

The Leafs have been a money printing machine in the 50+ years I've been following the team and anyone who thinks they need to win to make money is stupid.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Marner will return next season and after a strong start, leafs ownership will find some excuse to sign him to a long term deal. This nightmare will never end.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Just this once, I'll respond by borrowing a phrase from you:

The Leafs have been a money printing machine in the 50+ years I've been following the team and anyone who thinks they need to win to make money is stupid.

They don't need to win, but winning helps make more money, come on, this is common sense.

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
They don't need to win, but winning helps make more money, come on, this is common sense.
No business has ever said they are making enough money they don't need to make any more.
Common sense isn't always that common.

FWIW,
my regular season tickets = approx 8600, team pays the players.
playoff tickets = approx 11000, team doesn't pay the players.

It's incredible that anyone would think they don't care about winning.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No business has ever said they are making enough money they don't need to make any more.
Common sense isn't always that common.

FWIW,
my regular season tickets = approx 8600, team pays the players.
playoff tickets = approx 11000, team doesn't pay the players.

It's incredible that anyone would think they don't care about winning.

Ya, I have season tickets as well and they aren't great seats but they are alright, and the playoff prices always amaze me.

Clearly, they want to advance to the finals and play as many games as possible, it is easy money.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

Of course they want to win. Everybody wants to win and I don't believe I've implied that they are trying to lose ...

But there's a big difference between wanting to win and not being willing to do what it takes to win, even if it's difficult/painful (e.g. trading a star), that much has been clear with this organization. They brought in Shanahan for big money, Babcock for big money and now Pelley for even bigger money. They have given their stars everything they could possibly have asked for, and more (most would agree way more).

And so persistently throwing money at the stars - up to and including AM & Willie's extensions this past year - despite all evidence indicating they just can't win when it counts suggests that they will do the same with Marner. It's not a pattern at this point, it's literally etched in stone.

So am I confused about some the feedback beyond yours on my post. I'm simply drawing a picture that we've all seen with our own eyes of what has been obvious about this organization under MLSE since day one. But, what, somehow this year will be different? They're finally going to draw the line with Marner? No one can be that gullible can they?

Nothing they have done has suggested anything has changed. Firing Keefe was the easy, arguably cowardly, move while all the "stars", on the ice and off, are still here.

(And of course, if I'm wrong and Marner is dealt this summer or before the TDL, I will gladly eat so much crow that I'll grow wings.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad