Not What You WANT to Happen, What Do You THINK Will Happen With Marner?

What will happen with the Marner situation?

• Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then re-signs with the team long term

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA

Votes: 76 39.4%
  • Marner gets traded before Christmas

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • Marner gets moved sometime in the new year or at the trade deadline

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I just think trading Marner is something too big for their plate right now.

The focus is definitely on how to spend the 22 million we have this season.

I also think they would rather move Tavares or Rielly before moving Marner. 2025 100% seems like the year they will revamp the roster entirely.
Just curious where does this 22 million come from?

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
And I bet you told those kids to get off your lawn

You wouldnt know half the hardships I been thru and no......I loved seeing kids outside playing especially back in the day playing road hockey.
I just cant stand whining fans over a mans money......blame ownership for handing out those types of contracts.
Its hard to make it in professional sports....

@57 Years No Cup wow you really were dead bang on here :laugh:
Ive seen them win a cup.....and guess what....half of you here would complain that some players on the ice didnt give the effort you all thought they should just because they didnt look the part.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
And I bet you told those kids to get off your lawn

Nothing wrong with discipline....like the old days...some of went to far but now no one is every accountable .... they now sits behind their keyboards and complains about stuff they heard from the mediots and they are more concerned about the fantasy league or betting or trash talking other friends about how many playoff seriers they won. Who cares? No one cares about series wins ....win the damn cup.

I loved seeing kids play ....especially road hockey and any other sport.....those days have passed. I still remember having a beer with Bobby Hull in Sealey's bay area and talking hockey.

Last edited:

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
he just becam the best 2 way winger in the entire NHL

Amount all player for me the 2 player who will benefit the most of coach changing, it's Marner and Robertson.

With a player like marner, if you want to see him having succes in playoff... you need to create hole in opposite D, its how marner can hurt you. he's not enough strong to be a physical presence in front of the net and win his battle or good shot to take long distance shot. When he have space, Marner is one of most dangerous player in NHL. How you create space in playoff, forcing opponent to make mistake and caught them out of position

I would like to also add....the rules change in the playoffs to benefit teams that want to limit the space.
In playoffs you see alot of interference that is never called. Clutch and grab....crosschecks to the back while trying to win puck battles. etc. When you see slow defenceman breaking the rules to slow the game down then it sure doesnt benefit a player like Marner.

Only sport in professional sports that changes rules in playoffs to promote goons. No wonder viewership is down in the USA.

Promote your stars like every other sport. Instead they throw the rule book away and brainwashed fans the playoff hockey is all "heart"

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You wouldnt know half the hardships I been thru and no......I loved seeing kids outside playing especially back in the day playing road hockey.
I just cant stand whining fans over a mans money......blame ownership for handing out those types of contracts.
Its hard to make it in professional sports....

Ive seen them win a cup.....and guess what....half of you here would complain that some players on the ice didnt give the effort you all thought they should just because they didnt look the part.
different era, those players weren't allowed to float or they were sent packing. Those were the good old days where hard work wasn't expected, it was demanded..........

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think he is staying a lead. Shanny still at the helm and it's always been part of his prerogative to keep this guy around.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I changed my mind actually. I think management is full of buffoons but I think they move him asap. Even they aren't that stupid.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Marner would rather be perceived as a jerk than a liability leading into his UFA contract, which is why he's going to refuse the trade. Tre on the other hand has no choice but to say he's attempting an extension rather than admitting he was powerless to do anything about it. Tre gets to look like the good guy who tried to make it work but stood strong against Marner's contract demands, Marner gets to keep his dignity and possibly retain more value in the free agent market (in his mind). The upcoming extension song and dance is in both group's best interest all things considered.

Reactions: hullsy47

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Sorry *18 million

I guess I’m wondering how many players will need to be replaced with the 18 million. If it’s a few players then yes we can definitely upgrade the team but if it’s 8or 9 players we will be just getting similar replacements just like the last 5 years

Reactions: francis246

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
@57 Years No Cup wow you really were dead bang on here :laugh:
He has some type of OBVIOUS vested interest. He's an ex-player, ex-player wannabe, hooked to some type of agency, or he's Marner's Grandpa.

LOL, Marner already has almost half the goals Kessel does in half the amount of games. Marner will hit 400 goals if he keeps up his current scoring pace. Kessel had five 30 goal seasons. Marner already has 2. Marner currently has 194 goals in 576 games. If Marner plays another 500+ games he could get to 400. Not that far fetched. He had 26 in 69 this year and probably would have had another 30 goal season if not for injury
jim-mora-mora.gif

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I think they're gonna run it back.

At first I thought a trade was inevitable. But now I think changing the coaching staff was the "big" move this offseason. Same as how getting rid of Dubas was the big move last year.

They'll save the make a major trade bullet for next year.

Can't shake everything up at once. Might take another step back. Which would mean missing the playoffs.

If that happens everyone would be gone.

Including the most polarizing player I've ever seen play for the Leafs. I can't wait until he's finally off the team. Of course I said the same thing about Nylander last year and they gave him an eight year deal.

Which is why I fully expect to see Marner on the team again next year too.
200.webp

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I guess I’m wondering how many players will need to be replaced with the 18 million. If it’s a few players then yes we can definitely upgrade the team but if it’s 8or 9 players we will be just getting similar replacements just like the last 5 years

I think our cap issues are a little overblown.

RFAs: Dewar, Liljegren, Robertson, Gregor, Steeves.

Potential ELCs/cheap contracts: Cowan, Greb, Minten, Tverberg, Rifai.

Currently, our roster is:

Knies - Matthews - Marner
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
X - Kampf - Jarnkrok
X - Holmberg - Reaves

Rielly - X
McCabe - X
Benoit - Timmins

Woll
X

There is $19.7 million to spend on upgrades.

There is some work ahead, but it is a decent start.

Also, I can see a possibility of some combination of Kampf/Jarnkrok/Reaves (minors)/Timmins all being moved in some way, which if they were all moved, it'd be $26.4 million in space, but some more holes to fill (could be ELCs/RFAs mostly).

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Cool how bout we see this "best 2 way winger in the NHL" in the playoffs. Cause from what I see he doesn't defend much at all and literally avoids contact in his own zone.

That's why despite lack of scoring and the fact he played 83 of the time against boaton top 6. he still even?

The 2 only goal leafs allowed with Marner on the ice was both mistake made by d

1st one was Benoit covering Pastrnak on faceoff, he lost his coverage, create confusion in leafs D and Pastrnak find the open space to score

the second 2 was rielly missing his coverage and Samsonov sleeping in his net in gm 7 OT winning goal

a year ago he's conpletly shutdown kucherov line who did absolutly nothing at 5v5

We can say he didn't deliver enough offensively yes for sure but sorry absolutly nobody can talk about his defensive game who had been fantastic.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

X - Kampf - Jarnkrok
X - Holmberg - Reaves

Rielly - X
McCabe - X
Benoit - Timmins

Woll
X

Also, I can see a possibility of some combination of Kampf/Jarnkrok/Reaves (minors)/Timmins all being moved in some way, which if they were all moved, it'd be $26.4 million in space, but some more holes to fill (could be ELCs/RFAs mostly).
Thx. It will certainly be interesting off season.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

X - Kampf - Jarnkrok
X - Holmberg - Reaves

Rielly - X
McCabe - X
Benoit - Timmins

Woll
X

After the first 2 lines it really drops of a cliff

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
After the first 2 lines it really drops of a cliff

That's where the 19+ million comes in.

I hope they try Nylander at C again on line 3 (he can still get 20 mins a night), Tavares + Marner can run line 2 and hopefully Domi is re-signed and can be beside Matthews.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Best option for both sides is a sign and trade. Leafs will hopefully get a return that will help them defensively, Marner gets a fresh start and a longer term deal (8 yrs opposed to 7). Signing Marner and keeping him, expecting a different result is ridiculous. This core has NOT accomplished anything in 8 seasons, something has to change.

after watching mcdavid ,how can u not move these guys out .mcdavid is worth 20 million
Marner is NOT like Mc David. Marner is afraid to go into battle for the puck and will avoid taking a hit at all costs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad