Not What You WANT to Happen, What Do You THINK Will Happen With Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What will happen with the Marner situation?

• Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then re-signs with the team long term

Votes: 69 34.5%
  • Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA

Votes: 79 39.5%
  • Marner gets traded before Christmas

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Marner gets moved sometime in the new year or at the trade deadline

Votes: 12 6.0%

• Total voters

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
_noG_r.gif
Finkle is Marner, Marner is Finkle!

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Mitch is not going anywhere. He'll come into camp ready and for once, he'll be ready to play in October. Guarantee you he's gonna crack 100 points, he'll even cheat defensively to get it.

Leafs can't do anything about it either. Are they gonna play him on the 3rd line? Take him off the PP? Bench him? Highly doubt it for a franchise that cares about the optics as much as these guys do.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have a feeling the might want to see if Craig Berube can straighten out Mitch Marner (and Auston Matthews), so they will walk Marner to July 2025, and possibly re-sign at that late date.

When they talk about holding players accountable, it implies something has gone off the rails culturally and standards have slipped somewhere. And looking at the way the Leafs clawed back into the Boston series in Game 5, 6 I don't feel like this is a problem at the lower level of the roster, where everybody seemed to have bought in and were playing a different brand of hockey.

A lot of our culture problems just go back to the big guns who have the tendency to sleep walk through 82, can't seem to find any motivation to compete for a division, conference title, and think they can just switch it on when it matters, and fail every single time.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Berube wants to win games - putting Marner in prominent lineup positions in the regular season helps him achieve that.

I don't see any scenario where they try and freeze Marner out. No one gains from that
It's not even "try and freeze Marner out".

All it takes is for Berube to decide that, for example, Domi is a better fit with Matthews; or that PP1 works better with someone other than Marner.

Your belief that Marner is crutial to team success may not be as inviolate as you suppose.

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Mitch is not going anywhere. He'll come into camp ready and for once, he'll be ready to play in October. Guarantee you he's gonna crack 100 points, he'll even cheat defensively to get it.

Leafs can't do anything about it either. Are they gonna play him on the 3rd line? Take him off the PP? Bench him? Highly doubt it for a franchise that cares about the optics as much as these guys do.
If he comes into October without a contract he is going to have the best regular season of his career.

He'll still work from home during the playoffs again though.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I don’t think the leafs have the guts to do what needs to be done. They’ll resign him for 13.5M and continue to fail.

I think they absolutely need to trade him. Even if he walks for nothing which would really, really suck, the team would be better for it because all the years of spending too much up top would be done.

Montour would be huge for this team but I doubt he goes to free agency tbh.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Based on the Marner camps favourite mouthpiece in Dreger on OverDrive the other day I don't think he wants to go anywhere, so he'll at least stick around to start the season. After that we'll see what effect Berube and whatever new players we have does for the team and go from there. If Mitch isn't having a good time I could see a deal worked out mid-season to another team.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
I chose 2 with an outside chance of 3. If legit hockey trades were more of a thing I would have chosen 3.
Bt would like to show he means business but fair value return in a MM trade would be extremely difficult. I would hate to see a trade involving MM with similar results as BT's Calgary/Fla trade. Best just let the cap space clear rather than that.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Getting rid of Mitch is not a matter of the cap hit or the production anymore. The biggest reason to remove him is to change the culture and remove this man-child from the locker room.

I still don't believe he'll agree to a trade since his best bet is to ride shotgun with AM34 and rack up points. It's gonna be fun watching the dynamic with Berube. 😍

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If he comes into October without a contract he is going to have the best regular season of his career.

He'll still work from home during the playoffs again though.
In his ideal season he’d rack up 110+ points and miss the playoffs.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think he wants to win, but he's either unwilling or unable to do what it takes.

And he's not alone on this team with that mentality.
If he wants to win he must relinquish his top dog status. If the Leafs could somehow acquire those types of players, I’m not sure he’d welcome the idea before he signs his contract.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Big Question Though:

When are they going to trade Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, and Rielly?

Don't answer that. I know I'm going to have to wait years. I wish they could turn the page now.

Gonna have to deal with migraines, hangovers, food poisoning at playoff time for years...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It is 3, and Stamkos scenario.

Ferris will want to grab the most money he can put in his own pocket.

Leafs should give him an amount with an expiry date of July 0, 2025.

If he hasn't accepted the offer when free agency opens in 2025, use the money on the best available assets.

I could see Tavares offered at half, leaving ~$16mm for free agency from the "core" players.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Berube wants to win games - putting Marner in prominent lineup positions in the regular season helps him achieve that.

I don't see any scenario where they try and freeze Marner out. No one gains from that
Berube will do what’s best for the team not individual stats, he made Steen play a lesser tole because it made the team better, this could happen to marner too………

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Berube will do what’s best for the team not individual stats, he made Steen play a lesser tole because it made the team better, this could happen to marner too………
Not to mention Berube might spend the regular season prepping for the playoffs, since we know that b-crap they like to play in the regular season is a playoff dud, he might want them playing playoff hockey all year long.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not to mention Berube might spend the regular season prepping for the playoffs, since we know that b-crap they like to play in the regular season is a playoff dud, he might want them playing playoff hockey all year long.
exactly why Marner has to allow a trade..........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad