Not What You WANT to Happen, What Do You THINK Will Happen With Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What will happen with the Marner situation?

• Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then re-signs with the team long term

Votes: 69 34.5%
  • Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA

Votes: 79 39.5%
  • Marner gets traded before Christmas

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Marner gets moved sometime in the new year or at the trade deadline

Votes: 12 6.0%

• Total voters

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think he gets traded sometime in July. I think Tre is really pushing for this. There’s no way in f***ing hell Tre is going to give him 8 years at 12-13 mil after the playoffs he just had.

Like O-Dogg said this week, if you sign him for 8 years you’re basically re doing the same thing that hasn’t worked. We need new players. This group isn’t working

He walks as free agent.

I would think two pronged approach is going to take place.

Treliving and Ferris both contacting teams to judge their interest.

I believe Ferris would have to have Treliving's approval to shop marner to other teams while marner is still Leafs' property.

Treliving doesn't need tell Ferris anything unless he has an offer that makes sense, and if Treliving has any cachet around the league he may hear from his "contacts."

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Here's the answers to the same question. :laugh:

Your answer would be 'B'

Exactly and why I think this will happen, Marner will make the most cash by going somewhere as a UFA, his new team gets him at no asset cost so they can pay him a little more than if they had to give up assets. No doubt Marner would prefer to stay here but it appears the team doesn’t want him so an extension won’t be happening.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
We know what people want, that adds little value and has been brought up many, many times.

There is no inconsistency, it's pretty straightforward, similar to this poll.

"What do people think will happen?" 58% THINK he will be traded this summer.
Until camp opens they may still be right. With all options having received votes it's pretty clear there are many different views on what might happen.
A 'want' poll may or may not be necessary, but the results would still hold value - representing what the fans are thinking about the situation.

The 'think' poll offers no value - zip. It instead represents what the fans are thinking a handful of other people are thinking about the situation when they haven't told us.

You're collecting heads and tails, along with some answers to a different question that makes more sense regardless of the wording. Just a terrible poll quite frankly.

Anyway I think they might move Marner this summer, but hard to say for sure.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That goes out the window when Chief staples him to JT, and puts him on the second PP………
That is probably best for JT, Marner and Mathews. JT can hang around the net and wait for a pass. Like in his 1st year here, JT scored 47 goals playing with Marner. After year 1 Marner played with Mathews and it appears Mathews became more one dimensional waiting for a Marner pass rather than playing a complete game like he did pre JT..

Last edited:

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
he either leaves as a UFA or is traded at the deadline.

Tre has to trade him for at minimum a 1st round pick at the deadline. We are not competing for the cup and we will lose him in the offseason. Trade JT at the deadline too. Eat half the cap and trade him to Boston or NYR for 1st or 2nd round pick

After that focus on trading Matthews, because there is no way he's staying. He's on a short contract and if you eat half of the Cap you should get a nice return.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
They will "try" to trade him while having the least leverage they've ever had. They will realize there's no good trade out there and he will be back. He will play well and the full court media press will begin. They will say the Leafs HAVE to keep him. The Leafs will overpay him with the media saying he took a discount. They will wait for Tavares' contract to expire.

Berube is a wild card in this scenario but with the state of the organization he'll need to rely on Marner too.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I could see Marner going into contract year hero mode like Nylander and reaping the same reward.
I'll hate it but it's what i think will happen.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A 'want' poll may or may not be necessary, but the results would still hold value - representing what the fans are thinking about the situation.

The 'think' poll offers no value - zip. It instead represents what the fans are thinking a handful of other people are thinking about the situation when they haven't told us.

You're collecting heads and tails, along with some answers to a different question that makes more sense regardless of the wording. Just a terrible poll quite frankly.

Don't want to sound too jaded, but I'm somewhat surprised you think anything posted here offers anything more than entertainment?

You think a "want" poll has value?
Leafs fans want the best value for marner. There you go Poll answered, anything other than that is likely a Leafs' troll, not a fan.

What is most debated is what is best value?
  1. Star Player
  2. 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 first round picks
  3. Prospect with a guarantee to succeed
  4. Combination of 1, 2, and 3
  5. Multiple pieces to fill in the defense and goaltending
  6. Cap-space
  7. A different Star Player

A think poll should be more based on logic, rather than fantasy. I know, I know we're on Hockey Futures Board, logic frequently is flushed for wants and desires, rather than reality. Just read some of the trade proposals.

The other marner thread is kind of a anything goes about marner.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yes, what you think the team may do. We know what people want, do they think the Team will give it to them.
It's not hard.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I'm all for whatever helps some continue to lose their minds over this......hugely entertaining once you get past the redundancy.

Hopefully we can dive deeper into the Marner = Clarke Macarthur comparison. :laugh:
This is a completely unfair comparison when you include the Van Ryn Factor that clearly favours Marner.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I said he stays and signs long term cause that would be hilarious on the boards here.. but good chance they pay him his bonus July 1st and then they aggressively try to move him.

Likely the Leafs get murdered in the trade but maybe after JT's boat anchor contract is gone next year they can right the ship? If Berube can get through to Matthew$ and Nylander.. it is a lot of ifs and maybes tbh..

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I could see Marner going into contract year hero mode like Nylander and reaping the same reward.
I'll hate it but it's what i think will happen.
If I am the club and I can't trade him, he is 18:00 a night. No benefit to supporting a monster final contract year and regular season stats don't contribute to playoff success.

They can still run the wheels off him in the playoffs so no downside except for Mitch who will be seeking $12M x 7 coming off a 28g and 90pt season. It can't hurt for him to be well rested right?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I said he stays and signs long term cause that would be hilarious on the boards here.. but good chance they pay him his bonus July 1st and then they aggressively try to move him.

Likely the Leafs get murdered in the trade but maybe after JT's boat anchor contract is gone next year they can right the ship? If Berube can get through to Matthew$ and Nylander.. it is a lot of ifs and maybes tbh..
How many clubs have two forwards better than AM and Willie? They will be fine with the moves all that cap space will allow them. The big if is a goalie because an injured Woll and another Sammy won't win jack. With cap space more options there as well.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If I am the club and I can't trade him, he is 18:00 a night. No benefit to supporting a monster final contract year and regular season stats don't contribute to playoff success.

They can still run the wheels off him in the playoffs so no downside except for Mitch who will be seeking $12M x 7 coming off a 28g and 90pt season. It can't hurt for him to be well rested right?

Another strategy could be let him put up a massive year and let his next team pay him Matthews money. Less money for them to build their team.

Is the biggest issue too much money paid to a player who doesn't score in the playoffs?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think he’s gonna play out the year and then walk as a free agent. The fans and media chased him out of town, good job guys

Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Gone by June 28th.
Place your bets, 2 months of posting here penalty if you are wrong.

1718395046451.png

Reactions: Fogelhund

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think he’s gonna play out the year and then walk as a free agent. The fans and media chased him out of town, good job guys
No, if he gets to July 1, 2025 as a Leafs it will be because he wants somewhere between Nylander and Matthews money. Be happy to resign him, Tavares, Domi and Bert for $20m between them.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Leafs will look to trade Marner, he refuses to waive

Marner plays out the season. He's a hometown kid and knows it's his final opportunity to show that he deserves to stay, he plays his ass off and earns another contract

Both Marner/Tavares deals expire, Leafs elect to re-sign Marner long term with the cap rising. They also sign JT to a 3 year 5M aav contract
I think I would have a heart attack.

• Haha
Reactions: AvroArrow

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Another strategy could be let him put up a massive year and let his next team pay him Matthews money. Less money for them to build their team.

Is the biggest issue too much money paid to a player who doesn't score in the playoffs?
If he is not playing a ton and lighting it up in the first quarter he may soon become more amenable to a trade. Relying on him to weaken another club by an overpayment of a couple million who the Leafs may never meet in the playoffs doesn't really have a high percentage upside. Maybe you meant to add a LOL Ulf :)

Too much money for a third forward who isn't a center and doesn't bring a power game. I would argue three $11.5M+ forwards doesn't work in a cap era but if one of them is Mark Messier or Jerome Iginla maybe you consider it. Nobody scored enough in the playoffs to earn a pass. He is just the one without a chair when the run it back music stopped. I have said before I would keep him ahead of Willie but not all three of them under any circumstances.

If you trade him for zero and sign Roy, Walker and a better goalie than Sammy they are already a better team in the playoffs and he wouldn't be traded for zero. Not addition by subtraction, just filling some gaping holes. If I kept him over Willie I would build a line solely around him with players that complimented the way Tkachuk and Dvorak did in junior. Not talentwise because they couldn't afford it but stylistically.

If he would take the $9.5M Reinhart will get from Florida maybe that's different but we know that can't happen. Its a money thing, not a Mitch thing and even though he is overpaid already he will be expecting a raise because that's what the Leafs do right?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad