Not What You WANT to Happen, What Do You THINK Will Happen With Marner?

What will happen with the Marner situation?

• Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then re-signs with the team long term

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA

Votes: 76 39.4%
  • Marner gets traded before Christmas

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • Marner gets moved sometime in the new year or at the trade deadline

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I think he is traded if that’s what the Leaf’s truly want and tell him that.

I think his camp will quickly understand the best way to maximize Mitch’s next contract is to leave.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
No matter what happens it’s not something that will benefit us. Whether he gets traded, doesn’t get traded or re-signs. It’s a no win situation for us. I see him not getting traded. After that I have no idea what happens.

Reactions: Arzak

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
If the 2024-25 Leafs run the exact same 12 forwards as the 2023-24 Leafs who couldn’t score, but with healthy scratches and rookies instead of Bertuzzi and Domi we are unbelievably cooked.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This is the same as the other poll with slightly different options, but the same question: what do you think will happen?

A bit more clearly expressed that it is not what you want, but what you expect.

I didn't answer the other poll, as I thought it might be misleading, and it seems that my concerns were justified. Several posters have taken the results the wrong way. One poster keeps saying that it shows only 52% want him traded, while actually it shows that only 58% think he will be. (This also assumes the voters read the question correctly.)

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
This is the same as the other poll with slightly different options, but the same question: what do you think will happen?

A bit more clearly expressed that it is not what you want, but what you expect.

I didn't answer the other poll, as I thought it might be misleading, and it seems that my concerns were justified. Several posters have taken the results the wrong way. One poster keeps saying that it shows only 52% want him traded, while actually it shows that only 58% think he will be. (This also assumes the voters read the question correctly.)
Neither poll offers any value, both because nobody knows (information too limited) and the inconsistency with how the question is interpreted.

A poll on what people want to happen would pulse the fanbase appropriately, and offer results with some meaning.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leafs will look to trade Marner, he refuses to waive

Marner plays out the season. He's a hometown kid and knows it's his final opportunity to show that he deserves to stay, he plays his ass off and earns another contract

Both Marner/Tavares deals expire, Leafs elect to re-sign Marner long term with the cap rising. They also sign JT to a 3 year 5M aav contract

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
he won't be re-signed.

he will cry and walk away.

we will cheer.

it will be glorious.

and the last poll didn't have the option to not re-sign him, and simply let him walk.

the message is amazing. Marner, you are shit. period. we don't want to offer you a single dollar. go away.

never come back. (except to play like shit for another team, even better if it's in the playoffs)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Neither poll offers any value, both because nobody knows (information too limited) and the inconsistency with how the question is interpreted.

A poll on what people want to happen would pulse the fanbase appropriately, and offer results with some meaning.
We know what people want, that adds little value and has been brought up many, many times.

There is no inconsistency, it's pretty straightforward, similar to this poll.

"What do people think will happen?" 58% THINK he will be traded this summer.
Until camp opens they may still be right. With all options having received votes it's pretty clear there are many different views on what might happen.

he won't be re-signed.

he will cry and walk away.

we will cheer.

it will be glorious.

and the last poll didn't have the option to not re-sign him, and simply let him walk.

the message is amazing. Marner, you are shit. period. we don't want to offer you a single dollar. go away.

never come back. (except to play like shit for another team, even better if it's in the playoffs)
It didn't have that option as that is impossible to occur this off season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Other poll closed a while ago.

People may have changed their mind.

Not sure how many are voting other than their wants?
True, I think there were certainly a few that did that.

Nothing new has been posted in that thread in weeks.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I really don't see Marner signing with the Leafs.
Now that may be wishful thinking on my part.
And this Leafs team has let me down so many times, that it wouldn't surprise me.
But keep in mind Marner's asks were so outrageous the last time that even Dubas held out for a while before he ultimately caved like we knew he would.
And now Tre doesn't even really want him on the team, by his own words, it sounds like.
So no, I don't believe they will be giving him a deal anytime soon, or at all.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Said after game 7 that Marner was going to stay, refuse to waive, play out the year with Matthews, put up career numbers, and then walk as a free agent - it's the Darren Ferris playbook.

I've seen nothing in the past 6 or 7 weeks that makes me change my mind.

I think egos and emotions and bitterness will play a part here, meaning this won't be a smooth or clean or easy breakup.

They can't/won't trade him this offseason
That goes out the window when Chief staples him to JT, and puts him on the second PP………

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If the 2024-25 Leafs run the exact same 12 forwards as the 2023-24 Leafs who couldn’t score, but with healthy scratches and rookies instead of Bertuzzi and Domi we are unbelievably cooked.

With marner staying and walking, Leafs only have to make up about 30 goals between 2 UFA's.

I disagree, almost completely.

Domi and Bertuzzi were nothing special. They were middle 6 players.

Goals Forwards:
Bertuzzi - 118th.
Domi - 286th.

Points Forwards:
Bertuzzi - 144th.
Domi - 122nd.

I guess the question is how much of the Cap are they / or their replacements worth?

If given the same rope to figure it out, and they were given a tonne of rope, could Marlies / Prospects have made progress. If we say 8 goals are enough, as long as you can get some assists and provide some defensive awareness would you be okay if Minten only scored 8 goals the entire season?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He only cares about one thing.

And one thing only.

M.O.N.E.Y.
Then he SHOULD know, one thing: he tanks his value in a major major way if the doesnt get traded before next season.

HUGE tank in value.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That goes out the window when Chief staples him to JT, and puts him on the second PP………

He'll be unsigned and become UFA.
Leafs will give him their offer, as will other teams.
Stamkos was in the same boat before his last contract.

Coach isn't going to tank his own results.

They will play to win, and if marner on Tavares line improves those odds, he'll do it.

Reactions: Obo and ACC1224

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I think he gets traded sometime in July. I think Tre is really pushing for this. There’s no way in f***ing hell Tre is going to give him 8 years at 12-13 mil after the playoffs he just had.

Like O-Dogg said this week, if you sign him for 8 years you’re basically re doing the same thing that hasn’t worked. We need new players. This group isn’t working

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
marner-mitch.gif

The team is moving on. Mitch isnt happy.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think he gets traded sometime in July. I think Tre is really pushing for this. There’s no way in f***ing hell Tre is going to give him 8 years at 12-13 mil after the playoffs he just had.

Like O-Dogg said this week, if you sign him for 8 years you’re basically re doing the same thing that hasn’t worked. We need new players. This group isn’t working
Even O'Dog called it insanity. LOL.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Even O'Dog called it insanity. LOL.
It is insanity! How the hell do you watch that playoff performance and then fork over 90-100 million over 8 years lol it makes no sense. We’ve tried this group for 5-6 years now with Tavares it hasn’t worked. Marner is up and he’s the odd man out. His playoff performances the last 2 years hadn’t helped

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad