Not What You WANT to Happen, What Do You THINK Will Happen With Marner?

What will happen with the Marner situation?

• Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then re-signs with the team long term

Votes: 49 32.5%
  • Marner stays with the Leafs next season, then leaves as a UFA

Votes: 62 41.1%
  • Marner gets traded before Christmas

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • Marner gets moved sometime in the new year or at the trade deadline

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If he is not playing a ton and lighting it up in the first quarter he may soon become more amenable to a trade. Relying on him to weaken another club by an overpayment of a couple million who the Leafs may never meet in the playoffs doesn't really have a high percentage upside. Maybe you meant to add a LOL Ulf :)
Coach is going to use him to win games, not GM the team.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Coach is going to use him to win games, not GM the team.
I think the coach would use him the way the GM wants if it comes to that, and they will win plenty with Mitch playing 18:00 a night just like they did with Willie. In his five years with StL Berube never played any of his wingers 20:00 a night. That was basically reserved for O'Rielly. Tarasenko had his career year playing 16:55 so CB doesn't have a history of running his best guys hard even when they were tearing it up. True its a different offensive talent level with the Leafs top 3 so he will have to approach things a bit differently.

IMO at least, barring injuries they don't need to give Mitch the same minutes they have, in order to have a strong regular season and they certainly don't have to supply him with a springboard to a bigger UFA deal. If you look at how the Blues under Berube used their wingers they seemed to have spread the minutes around more. Even if Tre doesn't tell him to give more top 6 minutes to other wingers it may happen that way. Of course I don't know what would happen if Berube likes Marner vastly more than Nylander. I would say Buchnevich was his favorite winger rather than Tarasenko and Marner's usage is more like Buchnevich.

Leafy Undergrowth

Feb 4, 2013
He'll stay, leave for nothing, go to some team with low expectations, drag them to the playoffs where they'll meet the Leafs in the first round, and through superior goaltending by their third stringer they'll take the Leafs to 7, and after scoring zero points the whole series, Marnerr will get an assist on the game winning goal.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
He'll stay, leave for nothing, go to some team with low expectations, drag them to the playoffs where they'll meet the Leafs in the first round, and through superior goaltending by their third stringer they'll take the Leafs to 7, and after scoring zero points the whole series, Marnerr will get an assist on the game winning goal.
I would jump into an active volcano.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
he either leaves as a UFA or is traded at the deadline.

Tre has to trade him for at minimum a 1st round pick at the deadline. We are not competing for the cup and we will lose him in the offseason. Trade JT at the deadline too. Eat half the cap and trade him to Boston or NYR for 1st or 2nd round pick

After that focus on trading Matthews, because there is no way he's staying. He's on a short contract and if you eat half of the Cap you should get a nice return.
Do you really think any team would give up a 1st for a couple of months of JT, even at only (only?) a pro-rated $5.5M?

For that matter, why would a team that looks to go deep in the playoffs give up a 1st for Mitch?

Not to mention (he says, mentioning it) I don't think you can retain 50%.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
What do I think happens?
Remember now, it’s the Leafs.
To quote Shannan: “you see certain patterns and trends repeat themselves”
Yes we do.
They pay Marner 13 million.
_noG_r.gif

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
My gut (maybe fear) is that it takes a little while to trade him. We pass the draft and July 1, then make a panic move while backed into corner and get a bunch of mediocre pieces for him ala Jumbo to SJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad