OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I was refuting the record aspect of your post. The 5-2 referenced.

If you want to talk about Darnold, he doesn’t have McCarthy breathing down his neck for playing time (added pressure) and he’s got the biggest safety blanket in the league at wide receiver.

This year has been wonky to start. I mean, Derek Carr has the highest passer rating and QBR…
Every year since preseason was reduced has had wonky starts.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Every year since preseason was reduced has had wonky starts.

It's been like that even before the number of preseason games was reduced. Injury fears kept teams from playing their starters (star players at least) so that extra game was just another scrubs vs scrubs preseason game.

For me, it's seemed like the season didn't really start until week 4 or so. That's when the teams finally all seemed to be on the same page.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's been like that even before the number of preseason games was reduced. Injury fears kept teams from playing their starters (star players at least) so that extra game was just another scrubs vs scrubs preseason game.

For me, it's seemed like the season didn't really start until week 4 or so. That's when the teams finally all seemed to be on the same page.
Back when teams played 4-5 pre-season games, usually the 3rd game, the starters would play through the 1st series of the 3rd quarter. They'd sit the last every time., but usually only a game of rust in the regular season then, and things were good by week 2.

Reactions: MuckOG

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
This epic twins collapse is the most Minnesota thing that could happen. Although if this were the Wild they would squeak in backwards and then get brutally drubbed in the first round. At least we won’t have to watch the twins get crushed in the wild card round.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
And to think he's only making $2 million.

Yeah, that was kind of a weird contract he signed.

"Ohtani's contract calls for $2 million annual salaries and $68 million deferred each year without interest to be paid in $68 million installments between 2034 and 2043."

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah, that was kind of a weird contract he signed.

"Ohtani's contract calls for $2 million annual salaries and $68 million deferred each year without interest to be paid in $68 million installments between 2034 and 2043."
Contract should be illegal, but it’s the MLB. Big market teams get to do and spend whatever they want. One of the big reasons baseball has become a “watch only if the brewers make the playoffs” sort of sport for me.

$68M is over half of the twins total payroll. Almost 60% of the brewers total payroll.

Imagine if the leafs were able to defer $20-30M per year. Insanity.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Contract should be illegal, but it’s the MLB. Big market teams get to do and spend whatever they want. One of the big reasons baseball has become a “watch only if the brewers make the playoffs” sort of sport for me.

$68M is over half of the twins total payroll. Almost 60% of the brewers total payroll.

Imagine if the leafs were able to defer $20-30M per year. Insanity.

Why should it be illegal? The MLB doesn't have a cap.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hence why I hate the MLB.

And since they don’t have a cap, why is it deferred?

LA wants their own version of Bobby Bonilla day? Ohtani is hedging his bets so that he won't gamble it all away and be broke after he retires?

Pay deferment isn't anything new (other than the crazy number). Griffey Jr is one of the highest paid Reds players this year due to his deferments.

The bigger problem with MLB for me is the teams that are putting a less than $20m team (26 man active roster) on the field. Overall the game is a much better product than where it was in the 90's. The steroids era (Sosa/Big Mac HR chase) saved baseball after the players strike.

There is a soft cap in MLB, but it's pretty toothless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad