OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Credit where it's due. The Packers had a great rushing game today, and the Vikings beat a team that was in the Superbowl last year. We can all be happy until we play each other. We deserve this, we're good people, and doggonit, people like us.
Thor on “thorsday” for purple daily made a pointed effort to say the packers were not a good team last year because they had a stretch of teams that had injuries or were not good. So I hope he applies the same logic to his team 👍

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You’re right. You should sign Darnold to a big long term contract now that he is QB1. I mean, he beat the 49ers. It’s almost a must at this point.
All I'm saying is that through 2 weeks (~29% through the first 7 games), 1 against a bad team/defense and 1 against a very good team/defense, we would not be anywhere close to benching Darnold for McCarthy.

I am not, in any way, advocating for Darnold to be signed long-term right now. Not sure where that came from (that's a lie, I do know).

I think we can at least wait until he wins 9 regular season games here before we start thinking about making him the highest paid player in the league.

Reactions: MuckOG

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's almost impossible to bring any negatives to the Vikes season so far. I mean, if Jones hadn't fumbled on the 1 yd line the score would've been higher against an excellent team, with us missing JJ for the 2nd half, our best TE, and #2 receiver.

Surprised me, so far. If this keeps up the NFC North is going to be a dogfight. The Lions are good, i expect GB(Love has to get healthy) to be at least decent, and I thought Williams showed signs of improvement.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Kwesi looks to have hit it out of the park with a lot of the offseason acquisitions, especially the ones on defense like Van Ginkel and Cashman.
After reading an article about him on the athletic over the summer he became my most excited FA acquisition to watch this season.

Good things happen when you get players who fit your scheme unlike last year.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I like what I've seen from the Purple so far. But it will take a win against the Texans this Sunday for me to truly believe they are playoff contenders.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like what I've seen from the Purple so far. But it will take a win against the Texans this Sunday for me to truly believe they are playoff contenders.
ehh, i won't go so far. All they have to do is win games against division opponents, none of which look flawless.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
All I'm saying is that through 2 weeks (~29% through the first 7 games), 1 against a bad team/defense and 1 against a very good team/defense, we would not be anywhere close to benching Darnold for McCarthy.

I am not, in any way, advocating for Darnold to be signed long-term right now. Not sure where that came from (that's a lie, I do know).

I think we can at least wait until he wins 9 regular season games here before we start thinking about making him the highest paid player in the league.
All I’m saying is I take the 49ers if they have McCaffrey. He’s their clutch X factor guy. Look at the wins against Green Bay and Detroit last year in the playoffs. He was the guy coming through in the high pressure moments and scored 4 of their 7 touchdowns across those two games. He is the engine. Purdy is an average QB in a great system.

I like how Phil Mackey said the 49ers were “fully stocked” during the PD after the game. Listed off the players and then whispered McCaffrey was out like he wouldn’t have made any sort of difference :laugh:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
All I’m saying is I take the 49ers if they have McCaffrey. He’s their clutch X factor guy. Look at the wins against Green Bay and Detroit last year in the playoffs. He was the guy coming through in the high pressure moments and scored 4 of their 7 touchdowns across those two games. He is the engine. Purdy is an average QB in a great system.

I like how Phil Mackey said the 49ers were “fully stocked” during the PD after the game. Listed off the players and then whispered McCaffrey was out like he wouldn’t have made any sort of difference :laugh:
Difference in winning vs. losing, possibly. Difference in Darnold playing well vs. not, no.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

You can laud Christian all you want. He’s a great player, absolutely, but how times has he played a whole season?

He’s oft injured, so it’s not like this is out of the ordinary for him.

2023 - 16 games
2022 - 11 games
2021 - 6 games
2020 - 7 games
2019 - 3 games
2018 - 16 games

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Equivalent would be not having Jefferson and his 133 yards receiving + touchdown.
Then give us Addison back and we would have been fine again. We were missing more critical pieces than the 9ers were and the game was not nearly as close as the score indicated. The vikes D is legit and when this offense has JJ , Addison and Hock along with some familiarity they will be dangerous. Far more so than the massively overrated pack.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Packers are great because they beat an average team,at best, without their starting QB. And they amassed 200+ yards on the ground!

Vikings shouldn’t be excited about beating the Niners because MCaffery was out.
Lets also not completely overlook how important Trent Williams is to that team as well. I think Brock Purdy is 1-3 without him and their scoring average went from 30ppg with him in the lineup to 17 ppg without.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You don't know what this about anymore.
You’re going back to an argument that assumed healthy rosters and standing on it like you are right, but ignoring context. Wouldn’t surprise me if you beat GB without Love and did the same.

Packers are great because they beat an average team,at best, without their starting QB. And they amassed 200+ yards on the ground!

Vikings shouldn’t be excited about beating the Niners because MCaffery was out.
I love that you are running with something I didn’t say or imply. The Colts suck and the packers should have put up more points with that many rushing yards. The kicking team continues to miss field goals they should make. It should not have come down to a last second Hail Mary. Squeaking out a win like that won’t work against an average team, but it was enough to win and that’s all that matters until Love returns.

I didn’t say you shouldn’t be excited. I’m saying the argument was about the the vikings being 5-2 vs a losing record and whether McCarthy starts. The losing record argument assumed healthy opponents, which in retrospect was a faulty assumption.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You’re going back to an argument that assumed healthy rosters and standing on it like you are right, but ignoring context. Wouldn’t surprise me if you beat GB without Love and did the same.
No, this whole thing was because you found it outside reality that Darnold might be at least decent in this situation. He has been and more through 2 games, and McCaffrey or no McCaffrey doesn't change Darnold's play.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No, this whole thing was because you found it outside reality that Darnold might be at least decent in this situation. He has been and more through 2 games, and McCaffrey or no McCaffrey doesn't change Darnold's play.
I was refuting the record aspect of your post. The 5-2 referenced.

If you want to talk about Darnold, he doesn’t have McCarthy breathing down his neck for playing time (added pressure) and he’s got the biggest safety blanket in the league at wide receiver.

This year has been wonky to start. I mean, Derek Carr has the highest passer rating and QBR…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad