OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
No chance
Yep no chance, zero, none......... then why hasnt Darnold "officially" been named the week # 1 starter yet?... If his knee soreness keeps him limited this week then that probably hurts his chances.

Update. Now with Surgery needed he wont be starting

Last edited:

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Yep no chance, zero, none......... then why hasnt Darnold "officially" been named the week # 1 starter yet?... If his knee soreness keeps him limited this week then that probably hurts his chances
Hes got a literal torn meniscus. Hes not starting week 1.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Meh, like they're saying on KFAN, he wasn't going to play in 3 weeks anyway. Surgery could be recovery as short as 3 weeks, as long as a couple months. They won't know until they look and see if it needs a trim or full repair.

If you get a knee injury, a meniscus is the easiest to recover from.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Meh, like they're saying on KFAN, he wasn't going to play in 3 weeks anyway. Surgery could be recovery as short as 3 weeks, as long as a couple months. They won't know until they look and see if it needs a trim or full repair.

If you get a knee injury, a meniscus is the easiest to recover from.

All true. But he is still missing valuable practice time.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
All true. But he is still missing valuable practice time.
Don't disagree there, but I think at this stage watching video is every bit as helpful to him. If it's only 3 weeks, I'm not concerned. If it's multiple months, only mildly concerned. We'll see what the surgeons say/ do.

I'd be much more upset if this wasn't expected to be mostly a clipboard season.

Reactions: MuckOG

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Don't disagree there, but I think at this stage watching video is every bit as helpful to him. If it's only 3 weeks, I'm not concerned. If it's multiple months, only mildly concerned. We'll see what the surgeons say/ do.

I'd be much more upset if this wasn't expected to be mostly a clipboard season.
You need to do both though. One without the other is not as effective as doing both.

It sucks because he already looked better than Darnold. This wasn’t going to be a clipboard season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You need to do both though. One without the other is not as effective as doing both.

It sucks because he already looked better than Darnold. This wasn’t going to be a clipboard season.
Also because missing time has a development cost. It's not just the time missed, but the atrophy of the body and reflexes, so he has to train for a certain amount of time just to get back to where he was.

I mean, it could've been worse, but this is awful news.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Also because missing time has a development cost. It's not just the time missed, but the atrophy of the body and reflexes, so he has to train for a certain amount of time just to get back to where he was.

I mean, it could've been worse, but this is awful news.
Again, far from awful if it's only 3 weeks. A bit disruptive is is a couple months.
Meniscus is the easiest of knee recoveries. An ACL would've been awful.

He's the youngest and least experienced of the rookie class. He'll get through this just fine if he the QB they think he is. I didn't expect him to get a game until after halfway at the earliest. This doesn't change that IMO.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Again, far from awful if it's only 3 weeks. A bit disruptive is is a couple months.
Meniscus is the easiest of knee recoveries. An ACL would've been awful.

He's the youngest and least experienced of the rookie class. He'll get through this just fine if he the QB they think he is. I didn't expect him to get a game until after halfway at the earliest. This doesn't change that IMO.
I've heard that there at least a couple fo scenarios, always keeping in mind that no one injury or body is the same as another. One is leaving it to heal, 4-6 weeks. Another is surgery, 3-6 months. The latter would be bad, but of that is the better long term outcome then you go with that.

Reactions: MuckOG

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I've heard that there at least a couple fo scenarios, always keeping in mind that no one injury or body is the same as another. One is leaving it to heal, 4-6 weeks. Another is surgery, 3-6 months. The latter would be bad, but of that is the better long term outcome then you go with that.
The scenario he's facing is surgery and the 2 options are 1 a trim = 3 weeks, 2 full repair = 2-3 months (though sometimes can go as long as 5)
That's what KFAN was saying yesterday when they were breaking the news.

The timelines for the two options are quite different. A “cleanup” would mean that he could return in fairly short order and still be ready to play early in the season if needed. Based on the normal timeline for such surgeries (like Adrian Peterson had in 2016), a full repair would keep him out much longer, maybe allowing him to be available late in the season. Peterson missed between Week 2 and Week 14.
Based on the above timeline, he'd be available by week 11 for a full repair.

The clock to truly make a Super Bowl case was always going to start ticking at 2025 and beyond. Rarely have rookie quarterbacks even reached the postseason as CJ Stroud did last year. The Vikings brought in Sam Darnold this offseason to have a bridge to McCarthy because they were aware that he was going to need time to master the QB position after throwing just over 700 passes at Michigan and the fact that he was just starting to earn first-team reps was evidence of a deliberate development approach that probably wasn’t going to change after one preseason game. All preseason/camp indications still pointed toward Darnold starting and potentially maintaining the job.
As I said, this was going to be a mostly a clipboard season for him anyway. The important thing is to get him healthy again, so he can get back to practice so he can be ready to get in some late season games and get him ready for next year and beyond.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Ox

Blue Ox

Let's Play Hockey!
Nov 5, 2019
North Star State
I was fine if he ended up sitting all year, which meant Darnold was doing well, but I want him practicing on the field and getting reps.

I liked what I saw in the first game. I didn't know much about him personally before the Vikings drafted him, but I like his attitude and confidence. Seems like the players like him too.

My eternal Vikings optimism is kicking in and I think he's going to be good long term.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
And hes out for the year.

Better for him in the long run when hes about to hopefully play football for 10+ years

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And hes out for the year.

Better for him in the long run when hes about to hopefully play football for 10+ years
Do what's best for his career, this is but a speed bump. He can still learn in other ways in the mean time. Can come back ready to take it from week 1 next year.

Reactions: Blue Ox

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
tmp_cc25d287-1367-4ade-86f0-2aa7e73f7fe9.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad