Nokelainen and Sauer ejected for fighting during another fight

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Davebo*

Are you really gonna quote every single person who doesn't like the call and argue the exact same point every time? :laugh:

I was fine with all the calls but the interference... I don't get it. And yes Jonathan, I understand your point of view.

I'm sure his 40,000 other posts are all of the same vein... :laugh:

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Not if you enter the play and straight up level someone. That would be ludicrous if that was the case.

It's not a clean hit if there are already five guys on the ice. He deserved a penalty.

Dubinsky knew there were five guys. He wasn't expecting a sixth to just hop out in front of him.

So you think you should be able to just randomly jump off the bench and nail a guy as long as its clean?????

What about a 7th, 8th, 12th guy? LOL

What difference does it make? It is an automatic penalty for too many men.

BlueBlooded

Aug 9, 2007
New York
I don't like the rule either, especially if the fights are simultaneous. If players wait until another fight is done, I see the application. However, in the heat of the moment players may not know/care if another fight is ongoing.

Agreed. It should be up to the refs discretion. If in a play like this where everyone comes together and a few fights break out, I don't think that should be considered fighting while there is already another fight. They broke out near simultaneously. But I have to imagine that after the play and the fights, maybe the refs wanted to make sure the game didn't get out of control later on, so they handed out the stiffest penalties they could. I don't know. It's a dumb rule.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Firstly, it's a rule that the second fight in a stoppage is a game misconduct so Rangers fans don't have anything to complain about. Secondly, the hit reminds me a lot of this one, Kostitsyn on Downie in juniors:

To me, that hit as well as the one tonight is a dirty hit. An alert hockey player knows where the opposing five guys are on the ice, he has no way to defend an opponent jumping off the bench when the player he's replacing is nowhere near the bench.

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
they made that pass to del zotto?

refs made a bad call, get over it. happens to every single team.

Do you know what the word "momentum" means?

In any case, it should have been a 5-on-5, instead it was 5-on-3. There was another obvious penalty when a Habs player got hooked but wasn't called.

3 bad/missed calls. 3 goals against. You do the math.

Wraparounds

Powerful Wizard
Oct 4, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Firstly, it's a rule that the second fight in a stoppage is a game misconduct so Rangers fans don't have anything to complain about. Secondly, the hit reminds me a lot of this one, Kostitsyn on Downie in juniors:

To me, that hit as well as the one tonight is a dirty hit. An alert hockey player knows where the opposing five guys are on the ice, he has no way to defend an opponent jumping off the bench when the player he's replacing is nowhere near the bench.

Ding ding, we have a winner.

Puckface NYR*

"No Hitting League is my kind of league" :rolleyes:

The only good thing about this game is that the rangers are the worst team in the league at holding onto a lead....

Obviously I want hitting in the league. Thanks though for putting words in my mouth.

And based off what? One game.

And yet, there still ahead of Montreal in the standings.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
Blunden made 2 mistakes: 1. He was the idiot who jumped onto the ice too early. 2. He leveled a guy while he was an extra man.

It would be like Avery jumping over the boards, hitting a guy, then someone else getting off in his place. If you don't understand that then there is no help for you.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I dont' know if this is a rule or what but I imagine it's interference because he simply wasn't supposed to be on the ice when he made that hit. It's the same as if someone had a breakaway and a random player jumped over the boards and took him out.

The hit is clean but it's still interference because the dude shouldn't have been on the ice.

Now, also calling too many men is kind of a dick move by the refs but whatever

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
:cry: :cry: :cry:

There was one controversial call. Get over it.

Correction: There were two bad calls and another missed call. Should have been a 5 on 5.

The fact that the Habs were on the PK was hilarious enough, not to mention a 5 on 3. Plus there should have been a penalty to rangers when a Habs player got hooked. But of course I bet you didn't see it.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
The interference comes from Dubinsky having a boatload of room open in front of him get taken away by an illegal play. If he hadn't been checked and it was a TMM, the play would have continued until Montreal touched the puck. The player interfered illegally with this, hence the call, regardless of the fact that the TMM call was part of that interference.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

The hit on Dubinsky was clean. Didn't leave his feet, didn't get his stick up, didn't get his elbow up.

Problem is that hit was made by a player who was a little too premature getting on the ice.

If a player is on a breakaway, and a 6th man hops on the ice and breaks up the play, would that just be a 2-minute minor? I think not.

If that was just a minor, players would gladly be hopping on the ice whenever there's a breakaway.

The hooking minor on Anisimov was weak. The boarding call on Richards was also weak. I can see why some of you guys have a problem with the officiating, but the play above was definitely worthy of 2 minors. I don't see how anyone can argue this.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
The bench should have gotten a minor for too many men 100%.

If you can find me an NHL rule where it justifies that penalty i will delete my account.

So you're suggesting that since he was already receiving a bench minor the interference shouldn't be called?????

It was interference in the refs eyes. There is this rule called interference, that's what the ref used to justify the call.

Puckface NYR*

I dont' know if this is a rule or what but I imagine it's interference because he simply wasn't supposed to be on the ice when he made that hit. It's the same as if someone had a breakaway and a random player jumped over the boards and took him out.

The hit is clean but it's still interference because the dude shouldn't have been on the ice.

Now, also calling too many men is kind of a dick move by the refs but whatever

I more so agree with this.

Or what if a Ranger was to hop off the bench and stop the puck at the beginning of the game that was going in.

That would be considered interference IMO. Not calling a penalty on Blunden allows for other interpretations of a 6th man being on the ice.

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007

Cole was only a stride or two from the bench. Had he not stopped skating, it wouldn't even have been too many men. So this "alert hockey player" you speak of should have known how close Cole was to the bench, and kept his head up for a guy coming off the bench.

Fact of the matter is, the refs totally blew the situation. They assessed an interference penalty that wasn't justified whatsoever, and didn't assess an instigator that clearly was justified, by the multiple rangers that jumped blunden.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
refs have got to be on the take. No other way to explain those calls. It was the ref at the other end of the rink that made the call, not the one standing right beside them. (referring to the interference call on the hit)

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
Blunden made 2 mistakes: 1. He was the idiot who jumped onto the ice too early. 2. He leveled a guy while he was an extra man.

It would be like Avery jumping over the boards, hitting a guy, then someone else getting off in his place. If you don't understand that then there is no help for you.

Thank you.

Everyone is baffled as to how it was a penalty.

The extra-man is a no-brainer. I don't think anyone can dispute that.

But how does a guy who hit him clean get hit with a interference!?

It's simple. There are 5-men on the ice. He is the "6th man in." Meaning that if I am playing hockey (and I'm sure a lot of you don't), you know where those 5 players are. To have someone - who should not be on the ice - level you, you're 'interfering' with play, because you should not be on the ice.

But that's stupid! He already got penalized for being the 6th man! How can you penalize him again!?

Really? So you're telling me that if I trip a guy, and get called for it, that I can't be penalized - before the stoppage of play - for say...roughing or cross-checking? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad