Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
the isles don't seem to be pressuring the point giving him all day to walk the blue line.

put pressure on him and your leaving 2 guys like Aho and Necas open for him to pass to

They let him freely bomb from the point in Gm1 and have put more pressure on him since. JGP has been floating higher and higher in the zone attempting to take him away, which acutally opened up the passing lane backdoor to Noesen on the offside goal the other night.

Obviously a still frame shot doesn't do it justice, but Pageau was leaning toward Burns this whole sequence.

1682613056143.png

Not to derail the thread, but Dobber should be locked in on how Burns operates any time Carolina gets a powerplay.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
They let him freely bomb from the point in Gm1 and have put more pressure on him since. JGP has been floating higher and higher in the zone attempting to take him away, which acutally opened up the passing lane backdoor to Noesen on the offside goal the other night.

Obviously a still frame shot doesn't do it justice, but Pageau was leaning toward Burns this whole sequence.

View attachment 697699

Not to derail the thread, but Dobber should be locked in on how Burns operates any time Carolina gets a powerplay.
That is a beautiful example of Mayfield being out of position and covering no one.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
the isles don't seem to be pressuring the point giving him all day to walk the blue line.

put pressure on him and your leaving 2 guys like Aho and Necas open for him to pass to

He's so big that he's able to protect the puck and make the pass pretty easily. Being able to protect the puck and get out of trouble is what makes the good PP QBs stand out from the rest. Dobson can shoot and pass just fine, but when he's pressured he doesn't get away well enough for anyone to respect his ability and just back off.

That is a beautiful example of Mayfield being out of position and covering no one.

Noesen snuck behind the net and Mayfield never bothered to locate him. He doesn't need to be on top of him but if he took one stride right he's blocking that lane completely. A complete blunder.

Carolina has done that a few times this series and gives the Islanders defense problems.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Noesen snuck behind the net and Mayfield never bothered to locate him. He doesn't need to be on top of him but if he took one stride right he's blocking that lane completely. A complete blunder.

Carolina has done that a few times this series and gives the Islanders defense problems.

Moving spots on the PP, what a concept!

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
In addition to that, Sorokin is left trying to look around the screen Mayfield just made of himself.

Last edited:

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.

View attachment 697699

Getting Burns on their Team has helped them immeasurably.....

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, I think you all illustrated how Burns makes NYI's job on the PK hard. If you pressure him, he is able to protect the puck well enough to start an open passing play. If you don't, he's going to get a shot through traffic.

I prefer to let him shoot. IMO NYI gotten here because of the goalie, I say give him a chance to be the best PK'er as opposed to allowing seam passes to 1-timers or tip-ins no goalie can stop.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
He's so big that he's able to protect the puck and make the pass pretty easily. Being able to protect the puck and get out of trouble is what makes the good PP QBs stand out from the rest. Dobson can shoot and pass just fine, but when he's pressured he doesn't get away well enough for anyone to respect his ability and just back off.

We also just don't have the skill around the lineup to make quick passes to create time and space on the PP. And we always struggle against the PKs that don't sit in a box but instead pressure the puck constantly, which the Canes do well.

When you look around the league, the good PPs are making 2 quick passes in the face of that pressure and quickly create a 4 on 3 and a good scoring chance. Dobson can't do it as a PP, and nobody else out there can do it either.

I've always thought of Barzal as not a PP player. He's a north-south, on-the-rush player. And I've always thought that teams with players like him tend to struggle on the PP because the coaches are never creative enough to separate good offensive players from good PP players (to be fair, it's not like we have a lot of either). They take the players with the most points and put them on the top PP unit, regardless of their skillset. Ironically, Barzal is the only one who can create a tiny bit of space because of his edge work in tight spaces. But, he is not a quick decision maker when the PP runs through him, and he has no shot threat from the half wall.

We need a one-timer threat and a much better PP qb.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
His growth from 2021 to 2023 is absolutely amazing. He's really getting closer and closer to being like Alex Pietrangelo than Seth Jones (which was his draft day comparison)

I was thinking of who Dobson reminds me of and I think of a combination of Adrian Aucoin and Vladimir Malakhov from past Isles.

Aucoin was efficient and logged big minutes almost effortlessly. Was a good skater, had a good shot, and was good for 35-40 points. He was rock solid and a really good match with Kenny Jonsson in his Isles days.

Malakhov was talented in the same smooth way Dobson is. He was like 6'4, skated smoothly, had clear skill, and you could just tell he had beastly upside. Too bad he was a dumbass off the ice, I did love his pairing with Kasparaitis.

Dobson is playing 25+ minutes in all situations and is the PPQB putting up almost PPG numbers all before turning 24. He should hit full Super Saiyan mode when he adds another 10 pounds. You can build a defense around a player like that, we hit the jackpot with a #12 overall pick. The gravy being the Rags took Krapstov instead.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I was thinking of who Dobson reminds me of and I think of a combination of Adrian Aucoin and Vladimir Malakhov from past Isles.

Aucoin was efficient and logged big minutes almost effortlessly. Was a good skater, had a good shot, and was good for 35-40 points. He was rock solid and a really good match with Kenny Jonsson in his Isles days.

Malakhov was talented in the same smooth way Dobson is. He was like 6'4, skated smoothly, had clear skill, and you could just tell he had beastly upside. Too bad he was a dumbass off the ice, I did love his pairing with Kasparaitis.

Dobson is playing 25+ minutes in all situations and is the PPQB putting up almost PPG numbers all before turning 24. He should hit full Super Saiyan mode when he adds another 10 pounds. You can build a defense around a player like that, we hit the jackpot with a #12 overall pick. The gravy being the Rags took Krapstov instead.
I always though Vladdy was big enough to be a banger for us. Too bad he was a tamed tiger...until somebody reached his high breaking point. Then they were going to get absolutely ragdolled. But yeah he was smooth on his skates and with the puck when he wasn't sleepwalking through games.

Reactions: PWJunior

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

For someone young like me, what was Malakhov able to do? I need to watch old tape of him one day.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
For someone young like me, what was Malakhov able to do? I need to watch old tape of him one day.

Malakhov was ultra talented. Big LHD with silky smooth skating and skill, often paired with Kasparaitis to form the top pair back in the early 90's. Won a Cup with NJ Devils later in his career. Dude was a disappointment, unrealized potential. When he got pissed, he could wreck people too.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Malakhov was ultra talented. Big LHD with silky smooth skating and skill, often paired with Kasparaitis to form the top pair back in the early 90's. Won a Cup with NJ Devils later in his career. Dude was a disappointment, unrealized potential. When he got pissed, he could wreck people too.
Good description. For younger fans that never saw him, think of the most talented player you can think of who didn't realize his potential, and they had nothing on Malakhov. The guy had absolutely everything. He was good, but he should have been great.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad