Trade: [NO/LA] Anthony Davis for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three 1st round picks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Sweet jesus those '22-25 picks could be a haul bigger than the Billy King-Celtics fiasco. Not so coincidentally LeBron's contract is up after 2021.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
According to Twitter the Pelicans had no real interest in Kuzma but kept asking for him (knowing the Lakers/Jeanie wouldn't sign off on trading him) to get more assets included in the deal.

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
According to Twitter the Pelicans had no real interest in Kuzma but kept asking for him (knowing the Lakers/Jeanie wouldn't sign off on trading him) to get more assets included in the deal.

Kuzma is massively overrated, kind of silly really. His value is really that he's a decent NBA player on his rookie scale deal. I have a feeling Lakers fans are going to feel a lot different about him by the time all those picks have been used in 2025.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Those pick swaps are going to wind up not being used, or they will be very minor. Like, for example, 24th for 28th. By then the Pels are going to have to commit a lot of money to the players they just got in this trade, or trade them. The Lakers with a star in their prime are a very attractive destination when they have room to sign free agents, when it comes time for LeBron to leave. The Lakers tried to ensure the torch was passed to Chris Paul and David Stern did not allow them. This is unlikely to happen again.

Before this last drought when the Lakers did not have a star in their prime, they missed the playoffs two times since 1977. I'd like their odds of only being in the lottery one time, Davis will be 32 at the conclusion of the 24-25 season. That next contract will take him there.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It's definitely true the Pels wanted draft picks instead of Kuzma. Everybody knows that. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they flipped Lonzo just to get away from the drama. With Zion, Randle, Jrue, Ingram, Wood and probably DeAndre Hunter (I guess?) they have an awful lot of flexibility and not a lot of pressure to make the playoff this year. They have time to let things come together. Those picks swaps could end up looking real ugly, from a Lakers' perspective, 5 years down the road.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Lavar won't be talking much in Nola

He'll keep talking, but nobody will care unless he's sitting next to Drew Brees or something, which he won't be.

This will be the best thing that ever happened to Lonzo, TBH. If they don't flip him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Pelicans would be stupid to trade Lonzo Ball. He's now got a legitimate chance to shine without the massive spotlight of Los Angeles, and LaVar won't be given nearly the same mainstream media attention in New Orleans.

Brandon Ingram on the other hand... that's someone the Pelicans should be looking to flip. I've never liked that guy, never been high on him, and don't think he's ever going to be anything more than a taller version of Rudy Gay.

Reactions: Voight

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Lavar Ball dropping bombs on his son and the Lakers.
Well I guess Lakers fans are happy Lonzo is gone?

not at all. i'm gonna miss him a lot

like i said, lonzo is an absolute stud in all areas of the game aside from scoring. his defense, passing, court vision, and bball IQ are off the charts. if he can be more aggressive and find his shot then i have no doubt he'll be a perennial AS

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
It’s a good deal for both teams.

Ingram has all star potential and Lonzo is really underrated.

Griffin did an excellent job with the draft pick transaction too timing them to be after LeBron likely retires.

Anthony Davis is a 25 year old top 5 player in the sport in a star driven league like basketball, having 2 top 5 players makes you an instant contender.

Davis by all accounts will stay and be a star for the Lakers for the next decade.

It’s interesting to see what the Lakers will do from here, if they’re confident that can sign quality bench players for the minimum they absolutely should go all in on Jimmy Buckets or Kemba.

Another guy who is flying under the radar in this free agency class is Khris Middleton, I think he stays with the Bucks but if not I would covet him if I were the Lakers.

A lengthy wing that can shoot the 3 and defend well. Tobias Harris is another guy, but I see him getting overpaid by a mediocre team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Woj said deal will be completed on July 6th, which means the Lakers lose cap space to due AD not waiving his trade bonus clause.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Sweet jesus those '22-25 picks could be a haul bigger than the Billy King-Celtics fiasco. Not so coincidentally LeBron's contract is up after 2021.

AD will still be under contract. He will be in his prime each one of those years where they traded a pick. This is nothing like when Billy King traded a bunch of 1sts for some way-past-their-prime players. That was doomed to fail from the start.

Kuzma is massively overrated, kind of silly really. His value is really that he's a decent NBA player on his rookie scale deal. I have a feeling Lakers fans are going to feel a lot different about him by the time all those picks have been used in 2025.

Kuzma is just as good as Tatum, whom everyone props up as some emerging super star.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Woj said deal will be completed on July 6th, which means the Lakers lose cap space to due AD not waiving his trade bonus clause.

too many conflicting reports on this

i'm also hearing the reason why LA added extra picks to the deal was so the trade would be pushed back. but if this is true then its a massive blow to LA because it would prevent them from bringing in a 3rd max guy

Reactions: Cassano and Voight

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The Pelicans would be stupid to trade Lonzo Ball. He's now got a legitimate chance to shine without the massive spotlight of Los Angeles, and LaVar won't be given nearly the same mainstream media attention in New Orleans.

Brandon Ingram on the other hand... that's someone the Pelicans should be looking to flip. I've never liked that guy, never been high on him, and don't think he's ever going to be anything more than a taller version of Rudy Gay.

Yep, Ingram needs to develop a jumper, and more specifically a threat from beyond the arc, lest he be relegated to the purgatory of wings who can't shoot with DeRozan, Gay etc.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
This is a great deal for the Lakers if Lebron James is the Lebron from a few years ago and they win a NBA title next year. If Lebron is in decline then it's a really really bad deal because they'd basically just be a 1st or 2nd round playoff team at best and without much of a future past that.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
This could be great for both.. especially if the Lakers can do well in addressing the backcourt in FA.

NO will have a pretty dynamic young core once they add Zion. That’ll be a fun team to watch. Showtime Lonzo in the other LA. :laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

The way that's worded with Woj saying, "that could be amended to July 30......" makes it seem like Griffin will try to get even more in return if the Lakers want to delay it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is a great deal for the Lakers if Lebron James is the Lebron from a few years ago and they win a NBA title next year. If Lebron is in decline then it's a really really bad deal because they'd basically just be a 1st or 2nd round playoff team at best and without much of a future past that.

LeBron still looked like a top 5 player last year and with a full summer of rest, for the first time in 8 years, I think he'll be great next year. Think of how well he's done the last couple years with only having 2/3 months off.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

So the 2021 pick is actually reverse protected. We assume the Lakers will be good so the Pelicans will get the unprotected 2022 pick, which is good for them because that's expected to be the "double draft" when high schoolers will be allowed to enter. There's also only one pick swap but having the right to defer it a year benefits the Pelicans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad