Post-Game Talk: No defense for this loss

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
With the way the Blues and the Wild are playing--we'll be fighting for a playoff spot pretty soon. The Jet's have to get their intensity back, and Helle has to "stop" letting in soft goals. I'd like to see more Brossoit in net.

Reactions: sipowicz

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
With the way the Blues and the Wild are playing--we'll be fighting for a playoff spot pretty soon. The Jet's have to get their intensity back, and Helle has to "stop" letting in soft goals. I'd like to see more Brossoit in net.
The Wild will be lucky to win 10 more games this season with this roster. I don't think so.

Reactions: Derfel

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

What TF are you even watching? Soft goals? What the 2 pp ones or the one where he made 3 saves first.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The Wild will be lucky to win 10 more games this season with this roster. I don't think so.

I really hope your right here AKA --I'd hate to see the Jets blow their great start this season, and miss making the playoffs. I hope your right.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I really hope your right here AKA --I'd hate to see the Jets blow their great start this season, and miss making the playoffs. I hope your right.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Anything can happen but I think the Jets have built enough of a cushion not to miss the playoffs, sad we are even taking about it

This.

All the hysteria about not making the playoffs is more the realization that the Jets simply aren't the contending team that many (myself included) thought we had a month ago. Maybe things turn around, but we've been on a steady downward trend for the last two months.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
81-55-29
27-12-85
28-18-26
9-17-13

This does not work if perreault and Roslo remain brutal. If they pick it up that would be good and run the top 9 even mins at 5v5

Just looking for ways to split up 55/26 while
Keeping 3 scoring lines. I mean Little could go RW if needed as well and Copp to centre

Jetster231

Mar 6, 2018
Nashville has been just as bad as of late. Just saying.

Both teams mighty struggling. Big game against them coming up. Who is the pretender and who is the contender

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

Helle is just not playing to last years standard -- not even close. He really should have had that goal that tied the game up. Helle's got to get better.
Any goalie forced to stop 30-40 shots every nite is gonna burn up...he's not f***ing Tretiak!

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
There is no team right now that screams playoff ready in the West than the Blues, they are playing great the Jets and Preds are doing more losing than winning, but the playoffs are a different animal, and I think that both the Predators and Jets will be ready

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
The Wild are missing probably their two best players. I don't think injuries are the problem. Not sure what is quite frankly, but I am starting to think that maybe we don't have quite as much talent on this team as we assume.

I refuse to believe that. When healthy, this team has the talent to be a powerhouse. Chevy, from a talent perspective, has assembled a contender. If we are consistently performing significantly less than the sum of our parts, then it is rather obvious that we need a new coach.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
81-55-29
27-12-85
28-18-26
9-17-13
This does not work if perreault and Roslo remain brutal.
Just looking for ways to split up 55/26 for awhile
Keeping 3 scoring lines. I mean Little could go RW if needed as well and Copp to centre

I think splitting up Sheif and Wheeler wouldn't hurt. Colorado split up their top line, and it helped a lot. I'd like to see what would happen.

FanOfSports

May 10, 2018
Just break up 55 - 26. At least for some games.
More equally divided icetime, change of the chemistry and kind of a fresh start.

The game itself was mostly boring dump and chase hockey. Best chances came from passes to the D (Ehlers gave some good ones). Other than that, not much say. Few individual mistakes that cost the points, but there is still something wrong with the overall play. Can't quite put my finger on it but i would personally really like to see that top-2 separated.

Reactions: Ippenator

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
a3FsKlC.png

• Jets found a way to lose tonight which should be a sobering reminder that they can't rely solely on talent and manage to always squeak by wins anymore. It was a much easier game against the Wild as they didn't get caught in the trap, but completely fell off in end with some highly questionable plays.
  • Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler were doing pretty well for themselves in terms of even strength play. Laine had a fantastic game defensively himself, and the rest of the team were finding seams in stifling Wild defence with Laine just missing a tap in (doesn't register as a shot because it hit the post...). Scheifele not having any shots himself in 5v5 play is somewhat startling - just by visuals alone, he's not driving in and fully carrying the puck over the line any more; he stops right after crossing the blue line and looks for the trailer. Similarily, when was the last time any one of us remember Wheeler coming with speed and getting behind the defense and challenging the goalie right on? It's that effort the Jets sorely miss from their top line that they better be keeping in reserves for a playoff push and run.
  • Perreault-Hayes-Ehlers - in the first showing for the trade deadline acquisition, Mathieu Perreault wanted to welcome him in style by having his best game of the year. Though it was a win on the CF% column, they still struggled in terms of the xG. They were the highest line on average to generate offense tonight, and I do believe it showed. Unfortunately, they were also largely on for one of the highest xGA too. If you want to dive a bit deeper, NaturalStatTrick shows that Hayes (and his line) were on for 4 HDCA total for their 12 minutes - this all came with the defensive pairing of Kulikov-Myers on the ice. We'll get to that in a bit, but I otherwise thought that this line was creating matchup problems for the Wild that the Jets could have taken more advantage of, with some better puck luck to go along with it.
  • Connor-Little-Roslovic was the 'fun' line tonight along with the previous line. While Little certainly had a mediocre season last year and at the beginning of the season, he's shedding a bit of that reputation as it's the younger folk in Connor and Roslovic that are causing more headaches for the lack of offense they're creating, especially when we're speaking about Roslovic. Connor has shown flashes of his gift in scoring goals and high speed plays and assists, and while Roslovic has shown his own skill in controlling the puck, for the amount of time he has been given he hasn't necessarily impressed other than his hat trick game. Maurice did trot them out a little more defensively than the other two lines of Scheifele and Hayes and suffered a bit for it. Like the rest, it wasn't really a catastrophe, but tips into disappointing given the end result.
  • Copp-Lowry-Tanev - they do what they do, even if Tanev is apparently the 'goal' scorer on that line. If you want to play what if's, just imagine if it were Connor instead of Tanev on the line taking all those shots? Granted, will they play the same pace or is there definite natural chemistry going on here? Who knows, but interesting to think about sometimes.
  • Beaulieu-Trouba took the heaviest assignments and came out incredibly clean. If this is going to be the new top pairing with Morrissey out long term, this was an incredibly reassuring result in that though Beaulieu certainly doesn't match up to 44's calibre, the same attributes of moving the puck up the ice himself pairs well with the play of Trouba, who had an excellent game defensively himself. More of that, please.
  • Kulikov-Myers. An absolute, absolute disaster that should be criticized heavily in the media but barely a blip was made in Maurice's scrum, only just a general comment of losing the battle in front of the net in which both players were guilty of several times. There was also a couple of times were this pairing was caught out for nearly 2 minutes for a shift at a time, which is unacceptable especially as the game gets late, speaking to a problem that this pairing has trouble either a) getting the puck out of the zone themselves, b) getting the help to from the offense (which I'm not inclined to believe in as most of them had a good game defensively tonight), or c) actually making the play. This is not a good second pairing and hasn't been for quite some time. Myers shows his flashes of ability to create offense, but the recklessness from earlier in the season and questioned throughout his career about his defensive ability is showing clearly at the moment. Kulikov, too.
  • Chiarot-Niku - maybe a bit undeserved red in terms of xG, but perhaps a reflection that while he did have some plays of his own to create offense, he didn't have as great of a night as some people are jumping to. Niku, similarily to Chiarot had a steady game and is showing improvement from game to game to game. I wish he and the Jets preferred him playing on the LHD because it's sorely needed at the moment, but he's growing and adjusting to the NHL game.
  • Hellebuyck gets an undeserved red mark even though he was largely putting up with traffic in front of his net the whole game and made key saves on breakaways all game. Both PP goals he couldn't see and the game-winning goal was because of a poor effort to clean the zone in front of him, which has been a problem all season long as I've pointed out many times.
  • Power play is getting better, but the Wild shut down Laine and had a forechecker on Wheeler all game long that caused chaos. Connor couldn't control the puck down low. Perreault would be better here than how Connor is performing right now.
  • Penalty kill - get Scheifele and Wheeler off of this right now. Scheifele had 37.5% of ALL available time-on-ice, with Wheeler coming in second in terms of forwards, and you're going to act surprised when they have poor coverage that leads to the goal against as they play an even more passive zone? Hendricks can play a better penalty kill in this system than these two right now. Myers is also a disaster in creating room and vision in front of his goaltender. Pathetic play at the moment.

Chief's final eyetest says: look, up until the final four or so minutes, I bet many of us were willing to say that this was a good showing against a team that knows how to play against Maurice's system, especially so from our new players in Hayes and Beaulieu. Does that make those final minutes inexcusable? Of course not, but we need to consider all 60 minutes and not just the disastrous parts of it. These should be easy problems to fix while dealing with missing key players of our defence in Byfuglien and Morrissey, and we saw that some of the buy-in from our forwards is there. Crosshairs are on the wrong folks, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad