Post-Game Talk: No defense for this loss

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Watched the game yesterday, I thought Jets carried the play. They looked like the slightly better team. Wild had some chances but more shots that didn’t look dangerous. We looked better than we have in the past. Reason we lost this game was in the last 2 min. A very bad decision by Myers. I think we will come back in playoff mode Friday vs Nashville.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
When he's facing 40 shots a game because of spotty D, what chance does he have? I mean I know he looked sharper last year, but that's an awful lot of SOG.

True but at the same time, when was the last time helle stole us a game? We had lots of games last year with similar shot totals that he flat out stole for us. Then we went into the vegas series and hes been about the same since then.
Last year when we had a bad game, we could rely on Helle to make the big saves, this year, thats just not the case at all. Its not just Helle, our D is awful as well but we dont have the security blanket like last year. Honestly, If Helle pulled a game out of his ass, Id bet it would fire up this team. Just happens time and time again, we are in the cusp and something goes in.... its deflating, I know our beer league goalie is the worst in the league. You are playing a poor team that you should beat 10 to 2 and you loose 11-10 with a solid .350 sv percentage lol. When the big stops are made, man it fires you up like crazy.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
True but at the same time, when was the last time helle stole us a game? We had lots of games last year with similar shot totals that he flat out stole for us. Then we went into the vegas series and hes been about the same since then.
Last year when we had a bad game, we could rely on Helle to make the big saves, this year, thats just not the case at all. Its not just Helle, our D is awful as well but we dont have the security blanket like last year. Honestly, If Helle pulled a game out of his ass, Id bet it would fire up this team. Just happens time and time again, we are in the cusp and something goes in.... its deflating, I know our beer league goalie is the worst in the league. You are playing a poor team that you should beat 10 to 2 and you loose 11-10 with a solid .350 sv percentage lol. When the big stops are made, man it fires you up like crazy.

Buffalo earlier this month.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Apparently Chiarot is awesome because he is cheap, and if you had a bunch of cheap defensemen as awesome as Chiarot, you could conceivably afford the highest end forwards money could buy and win.

Not sure what could go wrong with that plan.....

tenor.gif

No Chiarot is good value if he was awesome he would made an extra 3 million like Kulikov's 4.3 milion contract.
Ask the Penguins how they won back to back cups with average defense men.

Reactions: Channelcat

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If we're going down this route, point out a game which our team has stolen for the goalies.

Last year's team helped Hellebuyck with team defense good enough to allow him to steal games. This year, they are hanging him out to dry with those ~40 shots against -games. Even if Helle has played well and only allowed three, the team has had way too much difficulty scoring their way out of the mess they have made themselves. Such occasions were much rarer a year ago, when the team showed up in front of Helly and didn't force him to bail out the rest of the pack.

Reactions: tbcwpg

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
If we're going down this route, point out a game which our team has stolen for the goalies.

Last year's team helped Hellebuyck with team defense good enough to allow him to steal games. This year, they are hanging him out to dry with those ~40 shots against -games. Even if Helle has played well and only allowed three, the team has had way too much difficulty scoring their way out of the mess they have made themselves. Such occasions were much rarer a year ago, when the team showed up in front of Helly and didn't force him to bail out the rest of the pack.

Have the Jets made adjustments to their defensive style to allow more shots, or are they just being sloppy and not committing to their duties?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
It really is incredible what the Blues have by axing a coach and bringing in a young goaltender. Essentially the same lineup but playing so much better, atm they are a real threat but can it continue.

It will continue as long as they keep getting the .943 goaltending they’ve got the last 25 games.

Reactions: GNP and Gil Fisher

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm in on that. This team right now has all the skill it would ever take to win the cup. We just lack proper coaching & leadership. Hendricks will at least lead by example, something that has been sorely lacking all year

So make a difference and bench an important player.

If you really think playing Hendricks for 10 mins a game is going to make a significant difference to this team, fire Maurice right now.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Dont understand why or how this team's D is what it is. this goes beyond one player. Look at Helle's last 10 games guy is getting absolutely lit up and we are giving up lots opportunities in front of the net at an alarming rate. contrast this with the Blues who are on our tails

D0axwyMX0AACe6G.jpg

Half, if not more, of our forwards are playing bad or lazy defense. Being young is one thing, but when your two leaders on your top line are doing it, it’s an issue. Something has to give soon.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Toby Enstrom sends his regards.

I knew he’d leave a hole but this is getting ridiculous.

I know I have gone off on Wheeler and especially Scheif on here. (and took some heat I may add) Thought that they continued their brutal play again tonight. The passiveness on the last PK by them was embarrassing.

But what in the hell was PoMo thinking putting Little’s line out after Minny tied the game? Little is great defensively but Connor and overrated Roslovic are very weak in our end. How does Lowry’s line not come over the boards? You’ve given up the tieing goal, do you not want to shut the other team down and take it to OT? We have a ton more skill to throw at them there and no way would Minny hold us off at 3 on 3.

Having said all that... Kulikov and Myers defended like crap on the go ahead goal.

Had the same feeling about Little’s line out there. Just didn’t feel right after that goal and then with Myers and Kulikov(shades of Stuart whiffing on hits) who were struggling big time? Didn’t like the move.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Laine-Hayes-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

There is something fundamentally wrong, c’mon PoMo, switch it up

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Doesn't seem to matter who they match up with they are playing like ass. That's on them. Everyone loves to blame the coach because its easy. It's tough saying your player have been **** because it gives people hope that if we jhust had a new coach somehow they would get their heads out of their asses.

Scheif is the golden boy but he has been terrible for awhile now and not many are saying anything about it. The work ethic isn’t there for him or Wheeler. If they don’t step it up in this stretch, I don’t think it’ll bode well.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Laine-Hayes-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

There is something fundamentally wrong, c’mon PoMo, switch it up

I'd try that but don't hold your breath - Wheels like's where he is.

Personally, I look forward to the day that Wheelers contract doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
He looks bad most nights - lost his drive, especially to the net.

Reactions: Jack722

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
What is the defensive strategy on this team? Honestly, I cannot figure it out. Looks like pond hockey out there sometimes!

Keep your distance and let them do what they want. Half joking but our gaps have been awful lately.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It will continue as long as they keep getting the .943 goaltending they’ve got the last 25 games.
The Blues are not all goaltending, as evidenced by their insane xG differential lately. When you control the events on the ice like the Blues have done recently, you don't always need elite goaltending to win. I don't think Binnington can maintain his numbers, but the team in front of him is also making things really easy for him.

Us, on the other hand, we would need elite goaltending/SH% to have a chance of being even passable, let alone dominating.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Brutal dive. Looked like he got shot.

Myers was still awful all game, though.
May have been a dive but it was an unnecessary move by Myers cross-checking him in the back when there was absolutely no danger at that particular time (I think the puck was being shot along the boards behind the net and they were along in front). Can't think of how many times I've seen one of our guys take a needless penalty this year when we are 1 up with less than 4 minutes left in the game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad