Post-Game Talk: No defense for this loss

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
So make a difference and bench an important player.

If you really think playing Hendricks for 10 mins a game is going to make a significant difference to this team, fire Maurice right now.
I wish it was that easy really. I've maintained since last year that we have all the necessary pieces to win it all, but we are being hampered by poor coaching lineup and other key decisions. This team is winning in spite of poor coaching.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Watched the game yesterday, I thought Jets carried the play. They looked like the slightly better team. Wild had some chances but more shots that didn’t look dangerous. We looked better than we have in the past. Reason we lost this game was in the last 2 min. A very bad decision by Myers. I think we will come back in playoff mode Friday vs Nashville.
I watched as long as I posted in the GDT, maybe saw up to part of the second. Jets were the better team with the better chances. Wild could not get a good chance against a tight D that verged on a penalty too often. I thought the refs put the whistles away and the Jets committed more potential penalties than the Wild. Jets PK was bad on the first goal. Backing up from the point shot was bad.
A win or loss to the Preds depends on the goalies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Agree AND disagree.

Yes, losing Morrissey and Buff is a massive blow. But it has been 1 game with both guys out. That does not explain the other 25 or whatever clueless games played by this "top cup contender".

Looking at regular stats AND advanced stats, what about this team is elite this season? The PP I guess. Still 4th best in the league.

For all the vaunted depth and having the potential to have 3 scoring lines...they are only 8th in GF. GA 14th. Our Vezina goalie sits 33rd in GAA and 27th in Save%. PK is 22nd. 19th in shots per game but 28th in Shots against.
Yeah i didnt say together ;)

But you are right.

And still losing buff and morrissey more tham half of the year is a massive lost.
Hard to replace those player.

Example.Buff.

Losing him is like losing 4 dman.

Why?
He is great at carrying lesser dman like chairot morrow etc...
Then he keeps the bottom pair sheltered so they can swim above water. (Yeah they were winnjng before due to offense).

Now they lost Morrissey. That left side is *#&$&

But yeah this is not only about them the teaM is like this. But it has it ripple effect.
Reason why top dman on a team is the 2nd most valuable position after a goalie. It changes many things.

But im not panicking. This team will be hard to beat in the playoff. Take note i didnt say cannot be beat.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Positive things:

Hayes looked really good.
Beaulieau wasn't noticeable, which in my mind is positive. Almost had a goal on his first shift too.

Reactions: behemolari

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He reads it, Chevy reads it. Chipman reads it.

I might be willing to believe they read it - except that it has just about become my full time job. :laugh:

Those guys are just way too busy to spend their time here. The closest they could come would be to pay someone to read it for them and provide a daily summary.

Hey M-K-P, I'm available - and cheap. :laugh:

My daily summary would look like:
Sip thinks ______ is a waste of space.
Nobody Important thinks we are going to lose.
Kingbogo thinks its all good.

Send cheque to;
Mort at ______

:laugh:

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Brutal dive. Looked like he got shot.

Myers was still awful all game, though.
I don't think he was awful all game but it definitely wasn't one of his better ones.

Overall I thought the Jets played pretty well especially with how desperate the wild were. I think everyone was just gutted about the way it ended.

I feel like we're trending up and I'd bet we finish the season strong. Just hoping for Buff and Morrissey to get and stay healthy

Reactions: Evil Little and GNP

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Some of our issues would definitely be helped with Buff playing , not all but some . If Buff was on the ice when the winning goal was scored someone would have been knocked on their ass before they could just stand and whack away at the frickin puck .

. . . assuming Buff wasn't at the red line.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
The shift that Myers was hunched over and couldn't breath or move was just as much his fault as #85. After attempting to rush the puck up the ice and then defending for an extended period in his own zone, #85 had a chance to easily clear the puck out of the d zone and didn't. This is happening on a more frequent basis with #85. He really has not brought much to the table lately, especially in attempts to get the puck out of our own end.

Maurice/Huddy had the d activated all night long and pressing into the o zone. Funny thing is when Myers had one of his best offensive looks he passed. Certainly wasn't his worse game. Kulikov of the other hand.......

As for coach praising Chiarot. He didn't have the best opening 14 minutes but played much better after that. By 6 minutes left in the 1st he had already been stripped of the puck in his own end and had a blatant giveaway trying to pass out of our own end that he was lucky not to be fishing out of our own net. He did play pretty well after that.

The eye test says that Hayes looks disciplined in his shift lengths but I didn't check the actual numbers.

Time to move on and leave this behind.

Reactions: Ducky10

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
What is the defensive strategy on this team? Honestly, I cannot figure it out. Looks like pond hockey out there sometimes!

Remember when Noel was coaching and reporters asked the Pens about the Jets' system, and the Pens players said they had no clue WTF the system was because it was so disorganized? Now we're into the deja vu portion.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
If we're going down this route, point out a game which our team has stolen for the goalies.

Last year's team helped Hellebuyck with team defense good enough to allow him to steal games. This year, they are hanging him out to dry with those ~40 shots against -games. Even if Helle has played well and only allowed three, the team has had way too much difficulty scoring their way out of the mess they have made themselves. Such occasions were much rarer a year ago, when the team showed up in front of Helly and didn't force him to bail out the rest of the pack.

Ya but he DID bail them out when needed. Thats the difference... well, until Vegas, then not so much.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Remember when Noel was coaching and reporters asked the Pens about the Jets' system, and the Pens players said they had no clue WTF the system was because it was so disorganized? Now we're into the deja vu portion.

The system is the same as last season, the execution hasn't been there this season.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He reads it, Chevy reads it. Chipman reads it.

I would think this is "very correct" - I'd almost bey my life on it, that all 3 of these people read these posts from time to time. ( Maurice, Chevy and Chipman, as well as players)

If I owned a franchise -I certainly would read these threads--you want to know what your fan base thinks of certain players or the team in general. If posters are very negative on certain players, or other things, as an owner you want to get a feel of what people think of your product your putting on the ice.

Many Corporations pay people to"complete surveys" - but the Jet's don't have to, as this is really like a big survey, of the sentiments of their fan base--the ones that attend the games, put money in your bank account, so you can pay the bills.

I have "no doubt" the Jet's executive, and players read these -- but don't govern their actions by the views expressed on here from fans. It may "influence" some decisions though.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
People criticized Enstrom for being "too small for the NHL", how many times do you guys think that Enstrom was outmuscled in front of his own net like Kulikov was last night? I can't be that many because we'd have never heard the end of it from Enstrom detractors.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The shift that Myers was hunched over and couldn't breath or move was just as much his fault as #85. After attempting to rush the puck up the ice and then defending for an extended period in his own zone, #85 had a chance to easily clear the puck out of the d zone and didn't. This is happening on a more frequent basis with #85. He really has not brought much to the table lately, especially in attempts to get the puck out of our own end.

Maurice/Huddy had the d activated all night long and pressing into the o zone. Funny thing is when Myers had one of his best offensive looks he passed. Certainly wasn't his worse game. Kulikov of the other hand.......

As for coach praising Chiarot. He didn't have the best opening 14 minutes but played much better after that. By 6 minutes left in the 1st he had already been stripped of the puck in his own end and had a blatant giveaway trying to pass out of our own end that he was lucky not to be fishing out of our own net. He did play pretty well after that.

The eye test says that Hayes looks disciplined in his shift lengths but I didn't check the actual numbers.

Time to move on and leave this behind.
Perreault was brutal, if I had to see him stop up and cut back one more time I was going to lose it. He can't separate himself from an opponent any longer, he gets closed down and has to revert to cut backs and looking for help from a teammate.

Myers and Chiarot were awful, it wasn't just a matter of how many glaring mistakes they made, typically with those guys it's what they consistently don't do that determines their level of play. Terrible puck movement, static play, poor support play (I lost count how many times I saw Niku look for a relief valve from Chiarot and he wasn't there), and last but not least their Pee Wee level gap control. Actually, that's an insult to my Pee Wee's, they are doing a better job at it.

Reactions: surixon and blues10

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I would think this is "very correct" - I'd almost bey my life on it, that all 3 of these people read these posts from time to time. ( Maurice, Chevy and Chipman, as well as players)

If I owned a franchise -I certainly would read these threads--you want to know what your fan base thinks of certain players or the team in general. If posters are very negative on certain players, or other things, as an owner you want to get a feel of what people think of your product your putting on the ice.

Many Corporations pay people to"complete surveys" - but the Jet's don't have to, as this is really like a big survey, of the sentiments of their fan base--the ones that attend the games, put money in your bank account, so you can pay the bills.

I have "no doubt" the Jet's executive, and players read these -- but don't govern their actions by the views expressed on here from fans. It may "influence" some decisions though.
I only get to see the Jets once or twice a year live living in Vancouver and I will tell you this ... the game I witness is totally different from the posts of some of these posters. Seriously read some of the posts after every game ... it goes like this player A was great ... another person says player A was crap needs to be traded ... a 3rd person will say I did not notice player A.

Maybe if Maurice, Chevy or Chipman have a minute in their busy life they might read HF for 10 seconds but I doubt it ... if they do they should be fired.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

You can't be serious? Survey of their fan base? it's like the same 30-40 people posting the same stuff here on a daily basis, lol!
Love ya GNP but

giphy.gif

Reactions: GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perreault was brutal, if I had to see him stop up and cut back one more time I was going to lose it. He can't separate himself from an opponent any longer, he gets closed down and has to revert to cut backs and looking for help from a teammate.

Myers and Chiarot were awful, it wasn't just a matter of how many glaring mistakes they made, typically with those guys it's what they consistently don't do that determines their level of play. Terrible puck movement, static play, poor support play (I lost count how many times I saw Niku look for a relief valve from Chiarot and he wasn't there), and last but not least their Pee Wee level gap control. Actually, that's an insult to my Pee Wee's, they are doing a better job at it.

I still scratch my head that he keeps playing these guys big minutes when one of the hallmarks of his system or so he says is tight gaps through the nz and entering our end. As mentioned both are truly awful at it and they are playing big minutes at ES this year.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad