Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MIN] Graeme Clarke for Adam Beckman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Beckman is fairly long(6'1"+?), has a vg shot, and is a decent skater. Mediocre decision making. Skinny, and not strong, at least not yet. If he fills out he can be a NHL'er i think. More of an offensive than defensive player. Certainly more of a PP guy than a PK guy. I thought that the Wild would wait another year before moving him to see if he came back stronger.

Clarke was born in Waconia(small town just outside Twin Cities)?

Could this be part of a grand plan to fleec - err... trade with LAK for his brother?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Beckman was deadly in the WHL.. his NHL potential was thru the roof I always felt.... but he just hasn't gotten to where I thought FORSURE he would

I still think there is some hope for him to be a decent NHLer

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Here is my magic beans for your cow trade. Graeme Clarke heading home to Minnesota! Hooray for him make Minnesota proud! Go get them Graham cracker!
I would hazard to guess that he considers Ottawa home more than he does anywhere in Minnesota. Still, I'm happy to have him here, and I hope he does some damage.
Beckman was deadly in the WHL.. his NHL potential was thru the roof I always felt.... but he just hasn't gotten to where I thought FORSURE he would

I still think there is some hope for him to be a decent NHLer
You and me both.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Here is my magic beans for your cow trade. Graeme Clarke heading home to Minnesota! Hooray for him make Minnesota proud! Go get them Graham cracker!

Missed it at the time. How did Clarke end up with the 67's being from Minnesota?

Hopefully gets more of a chance in Minnesota than he had with the Devils.

Tend to have more faith in Bill Guerin than in the Devils' front office.

Reactions: Dog

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I was excited about Clarke getting one more shot this year, think he had potential, but now that he's gone I have this weird feeling he was never any good and will be lucky to hack it the AHL for more than another year.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I didn't really watch Clarke because he only really got pointless games. Actually I guess there's a reason they gave games to Max Willman, Shane Bowers, etc than him. We already have a scoring-potential winger that is pretty bad in the rest of his game in Alex Holtz. Graeme to me was the cheap guy you slot next to a defensively-responsible guy like Hischier if injuries hit. I guess this means Holtz is staying?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I feel Beckman has potential and didn't get much of a chance to show it. Not a high bar but he didn't look any more useless than Freddy G or JoJo do most nights and with reps had a chance to get better. That said if NJ couldn't get their chap decent time to prove himself i don't see much chance Beckman gets it. and vice versa.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For a second, i didn't read this carefully and thought it was Brandt Clarke, and was wondering what on earth happened to his stock to cause that to happen. :laugh: Ooops.

But yeah...Graeme Clarke...right. This is much more of a whatever, change of scenery, see if either can make any headway with a new organization sort of swap. Both guys still have a bit of potentially, but both also really hitting that "poop or get off the pot" territory when it comes to making the NHL jump and establishing themselves there.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Just irony perhaps - the Devils drafted three players from the Ottawa 67's team that reached the OHL finals and traded for a fourth (Kevin Bahl).

All are no longer in the organization.

Also, the trade reunites Clarke with Ottawa teammate Marco Rossi.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Good deal for Minny.

Scouted him and his brother, got to know the family a bit, purely speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a trade request by Clarke. Road to the show wasn't a good one, and solid point totals in the AHL.

Should have a somewhat decent shot at the big club this season with the Wild.

Good deal for Minny.

Scouted him and his brother, got to know the family a bit, purely speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a trade request by Clarke. Road to the show wasn't a good one, and solid point totals in the AHL.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Graeme Clarke was supposed to be good enough to be the Devils 3RW at some point within the next few seasons, Clarke was rated within their top 5 prospects on a lot of lists I’ve seen, wonder why New Jersey gave up on him for an inferior player in Adam Beckman.

Clarke has outscored Beckman at the AHL level in the last several seasons.

Graeme Clarke seems to be ready to take a place in Minnesota’s bottom 6 RW, while Adam Beckman is seemingly more on the verge of becoming an AHL tweener.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Graeme Clarke was supposed to be good enough to be the Devils 3RW at some point within the next few seasons, Clarke was rated within their top 5 prospects on a lot of lists I’ve seen, wonder why New Jersey gave up on him for an inferior player in Adam Beckman.

Graeme Clarke seems to be ready to take a place in Minnesota’s bottom 6 RW, while Adam Beckman is seemingly more on the verge of becoming an AHL tweener.
Graeme Willy I mean Clarke is real winner while Beckman is a loser. Lol

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Clarke is unlikely to be a bottom 6 type player. He's not going to be particularly helpful in a bottom 6 role, unless it's an offensive 3rd line

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Good deal for Minny.

Good deal for Minny.

You can say that again!

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This is one of those perfect examples of a team trying to do right by a player. Where the player is out of options and may not clear waivers, but also, the player believes he’s earned an opportunity to EARN some consistent NHL minutes, and the team just doesn’t have those minutes for the player, and doesn’t see him filling a role where they may have a spot open.

This trade is much more about Clarke than it is about Beckman, who’s not in that same spot just yet, if he’ll ever be. Much more likely to clear waivers too. In fact there’s no doubt he will.

The Wild are obviously prepared to give Clarke that opportunity. Doesn’t mean he’ll make the team out of camp, but he’ll have a legit opportunity, and has much less chance of getting buried in the AHL, if that’s where he starts the season.

Managers aren’t these evil men who don’t understand this. Especially ex-player GMs.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
This is one of those perfect examples of a team trying to do right by a player. Where the player is out of options and may not clear waivers, but also, the player believes he’s earned an opportunity to EARN some consistent NHL minutes, and the team just doesn’t have those minutes for the player, and doesn’t see him filling a role where they may have a spot open.

This trade is much more about Clarke than it is about Beckman, who’s not in that same spot just yet, if he’ll ever be. Much more likely to clear waivers too. In fact there’s no doubt he will.

The Wild are obviously prepared to give Clarke that opportunity. Doesn’t mean he’ll make the team out of camp, but he’ll have a legit opportunity, and has much less chance of getting buried in the AHL, if that’s where he starts the season.

Managers aren’t these evil men who don’t understand this. Especially ex-player GMs.
I think you are mostly accurate here, but just to maybe moderate expectations, from the Wild’s side, this was actually reported as the first official move for Matt Hendricks, the Iowa Wild GM. The implication being that he is expected to be in the AHL fold at least initially.

Having said that, roster spots are in no way set in stone, the depth at forward last year was weak even before the deadline sell off. He is competing against younger rookies for the most part on the final roster, and should be in a good battle for call ups. Finishing talent and right hand shots are a huge need for this team, so he does fill a major hole if he can show well and may get more leeway with this team than many others. It is a good spot for him to get a fair shake, but in no way does he seem like a set roster player for the big club at this point in my eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad