Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Flames fans deluded themselves on what they were getting for Markstrom. And as is, I think the Devils still overpaid.

No retention is huge. They just got a 1rst and 23 year old dman for a 34 year old goalies.

Alot of Flames predicted it would have been higher with retention. Which it would have been

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Why didn’t both these teams make this trade 3 months ago
cause that wasn't the trade 3 months ago. This is "the Devils missed the playoffs and are not nearly as desperate anymore to get a goalie to save a lost season and Calgary realizing they f***ed up by not taking the deadline trade" trade return

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
As a Devils fan, this is a little bit more than I expected them to give up but not awful.

Figured a 2025 1st round pick was the most likely asset to go back. Should be a late round pick. I liked Bahl, but not sure how confident NJ was going with him next season penciled in the lineup. Devils were looking for an upgrade at LD to go along with Siegenthaler and Luke Hughes.

Glad they held onto the #10 pick - could get a good LD or forward in that spot. I also like that they kept Holtz - want to see how he does after another offseason (improved a good amount last year) and with a new coaching staff.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
What?

Yesterday if you said 25 first or Bahl, I'd be listening. If it's both, my eyes might pop out of my head right now.

I swear I was literally reading yesterday that Bahl has a bit of value. IDK why he's being stated as just a dude...
He was horrendous last season. Young enough that there’s still upside, but he’s pretty much a #6/7 you can play on the PK.

Reactions: Fig

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Seems like a pretty fair deal for both sides. Bahl is an everyday NHL defenseman, but nothing more than a bottom pair guy. 2025 first is top 10 protected but still good value.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
cause that wasn't the trade 3 months ago. This is "the Devils missed the playoffs and are not nearly as desperate anymore to get a goalie to save a lost season and Calgary realizing they f***ed up by not taking the deadline trade" trade return
what was the deadline demand? i assume new jersey offered more but what was the reported gap? or is it not known

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
No retention is huge. They just got a 1rst and 23 year old dman for a 34 year old goalies.

Alot of Flames predicted it would have been higher with retention. Which it would have been
There was incessant talk about the 10oa and guys like Mercer, Holtz and Casey. I wouldn’t have wanted to give up any first if it were up to me, but a top 10 protected ‘25 is still pushing closer to second round value than first.

Edit: and now news of retention.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Pretty good deal for Calgary assuming no retention. Unfortunately its a 2025 1st, but a 34 year old goaltender getting a 1st and a young D with size is smart.

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Actually, pretty good value as based. Calgary needs a couple good dmen.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
the Flames did great on this deal. Bahl is an NHL d-man at 23 and he’s huge. The playoff series with the Rangers he was physical with everyone that got into his sphere, he’s going to be a really good d-man for Calgary and New Jersey gets even smaller and older
I liked Bahl, but he was the the least tallest physical defenseman I’ve ever seen.

• Haha
Reactions: Look Up

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hey you were right. Kudos for that. But, Markstrom at this stage in his career will be a much better fit in New Jersey. Plus the fact that NJD held onto 10A, Holtz, Casey is a win for them too.
Markstrom will be a great fit in NJ. 1st and prospect was the price. No way Conroy does it 10 days early unless the price is met. He did the same thing with Tanev and Lindholm. Waited on Hanifin, no one met the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad