Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks for the optimism, but we still have no clue about the direction of the team. Our "rebuild" seems to be hinted at an idea of a retool on the fly with borderline prospects and picking up later first and second rounders. Plus I suspect Conroy has decided to experiment with a prospect development method in hopes to start accelerating them to the roster in 1-3 seasons and then trading the excess RFA caught in a logjam to restart the cycle for the prospect pipeline.

Depending on what our "depth" looks like by the start of the pre-season, many of us are still unconvinced we aren't just going to go down the "rebuild" path we took in 2015 (ie: trading picks for Hamilton, who coincidentally is on the NJD roster).

We have already accrued six first round picks in the next three draft classes. Stop reading to much into what Conroy is saying publicly. Call it what you want. To me that's "rebuilding".

Reactions: HitterD

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
We already have six first round picks in the next three drafts. Stop reading to much into what Conroy is saying publicly. Call it what you want. To me that's "rebuilding".

Once we draft with those picks or continue a sell off, I'll accept it's a rebuild. But until then, I'm not convinced some of those picks will be used to pick up roster players instead which means retool.

I sorta agree with you in the sense that we have had a very obvious tear down, but I still don't think I know what I am excited for in terms of what/who management has decided to commit to for the long term.

Reactions: HighLifeMan

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Well, I'm going by statements from you guys from last season where you had Hughes higher than Nemec. So no, it's not baseless. It's based on statements from your fanbase.

Hughes and Nemec just finished up their rookie seasons - still TBD who the best player is between the two. They were also both drafted between #2-#4 overall a year apart from each other, with Nemec being the higher or the two picks so I don't think this is quite the bold pick you're making it out to be. What an idiotic argument.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think Montreal has Calgary's 2025 1st, no? Looks juicy right now.
Complex trade conditions, but the pick is essentially top-10 protected.

Best (realistic) case for Montreal is Calgary ending up at #11, or Florida having a post-Finals-run hangover type of season.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Devils are picking 10th this year, have been over a .500 PT% once in the Hughes era but yeah sure “almost certainly” in the 20s. I admire the optimism.
They won 52 games with Lindy Ruff and Vitek Vanecek, they'll be fine.

Unless you think their best center, best winger, and best defenseman are all going to be injured again?

Reactions: HBK27

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
This reminds me of the deal Nj made for Schneider (G) when they gave up 9th overall. The only problem is Schneider back then was still young.

Like others have said, if the pick ends up close to 10th overall, NJ loses this deal. I’m also just not sold on Markstrom at this point in his career. He’s not young like Schneider was…

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Once we draft with those picks or continue a sell off, I'll accept it's a rebuild. But until then, I'm not convinced some of those picks will be used to pick up roster players instead which means retool.

I sorta agree with you in the sense that we have had a very obvious tear down, but I still don't think I know what I am excited for in terms of what/who management has decided to commit to for the long term.

If they can find a young RFA center that needs a change of scenery they might spend some assets. Otherwise can't see them wasting draft capital.

With how we're developing depth players there's a lot of ufas to sell in the next year or two

Reactions: Figgy44

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa is such a terrible organization. Continuously miss on everything. It's the only Canadian team run worse than my Flames.
lol, take it easy, we have a new, stable ownership and management group who has already stated they are looking at adding a goalie. Who knows if they were in on this and Markstrom said no, or if they couldn't reach a deal.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I think he is what he is, a 5-6 guy he's not likely going any higher than that.
You never know. Guys like Anton Stralman and Gustav Forsling were picked up as free-agents and yet became solid to fantastic defensive players. But yeah right now Bahl is a bottom pair guy who probably should be playing with someone better. Devils need a more experienced guy to play with either LHughes or Nemec.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
You never know. Guys like Anton Stralman and Gustav Forsling were picked up as free-agents and yet became solid to fantastic defensive players. But yeah right now Bahl is a bottom pair guy who probably should be playing with someone better. Devils need a more experienced guy to play with either LHughes or Nemec.
He may turn into a great shut down D but he's not going to put up the points like those 2.
Great on the PK and when he used his size, he was really good. I don't think there is much else there for him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The problem is usually that there are few comparables for what good goalies get in trade because good goalies seldom actually get traded. Most goalie trades are aging on the decline or unproven prospects, so the trade value of guys like Saros or Ullmark is an unknown.
You also had a lot of teams looking for goalies

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad