Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Bahl was ok. Still has a little upside. With it being a ‘25 protected 1st and the cap retention this seems worth the risk of getting hopefully 2 seasons out of markstrom while we figure out a long term solution.

Reactions: HBK27

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Huh? So he gets a 23 year old NHL defenseman and a 1st and you think that's not different than a 2nd and crap prospect? Can you become an NHL GM? I'll trade you my crap prospects and 2nd round picks for your NHL defensemen and 1st round picks.

Bahl is a depth defenseman with extremely limited upside.

My comment was that Markstrom would return something like a 2nd (I was assuming a 2024 2nd) and a B level prospect. A 2025 1st and Bahl isn't different than that in value.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Bottom-pairing lefty defensive D-man with the occasional mean streak. Very big, uses that less than you want. Still pretty raw. Decent on the PK.

Not much offense, but can handle the puck well enough for a guy his size. Can be effective when he uses his size and will occasionally play “mean,” but he doesn’t do that consistently enough.

Everyday NHL defenseman but just a “good” bottom pair

Seeing as he is just 24, does he maybe have a Chris Tanev type top 4 type upside?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
with Calgary retaining salary it is more equal than orginally portrayed. a 3ld and a likely 20-25 pick isnt a bad return, definitely not the return Calgary fans pretended they were getting. although markstrom's age regression could push the pick to 15-18.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not much offense, but can handle the puck well enough for a guy his size. Can be effective when he uses his size and will occasionally play “mean,” but he doesn’t do that consistently enough.

Everyday NHL defenseman but just a “good” bottom pair guy.
That's how I see him too. Decent top end speed, lacks first stride quickness.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I wonder if he is still good enough to start for the Devils. He seems on the downslope.

He was like 7th in goals saved above expected last year.

He's been inconsistent year to year, and I hated people acting like he was elite to 7 goalie or something, but he's still an above average goalie imo. 11-14 or so for me

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
I never understood the interest in Markstrom, going to turn 35 this year and based on his last two seasons has already started to decline.

Reactions: Nevins

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Idk, seems like a solid deal for both? Goalies don't have the value that some homers think they have, but i think it's still a solid return for the Flames.

And obviously solid for Devils too with the retention.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Its a fine deal for Calgary but “victory lapping” for a young depth defenseman and a possible/probable late 20’s 1st in over a year from now seems a bit absurd.

The Devils gave up no keystone asset here and got Markstrom retained.

That’s a big win.

Thank god for advanced stats.

Team gives up a 1st and a young 6'6 defender that just played 82 games for a 34 year old goalie with one year over .905 in the last 4 year and think they won. Have fun with that rollercoaster.

I thought we were going to have to buy him out last year

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

hobgoblin933

Jun 22, 2011
Cohoes, NY
As a Devils team I like it for both teams. Devils desperately need competent goaltending. 2025 1st being top 10 protected shields them from a nightmare scenario if they have another disaster season.

Bahl is good but far from irreplaceable. Flames get an NHL level player and a future prospect.

Reactions: Figgy44

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Seeing as he is just 24, does he maybe have a Chris Tanev type top 4 type upside?

Based on what I noted about him for the last little bit (but unsure of value), he's probably similar to what we have in Kuznetsov or Hurtig. I still do think that Conroy is experimenting with a style matching type of defense prospect development.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
with Calgary retaining salary it is more equal than orginally portrayed. a 3ld and a likely 20-25 pick isnt a bad return, definitely not the return Calgary fans pretended they were getting. although markstrom's age regression could push the pick to 15-18.
Why can't you just admit you were completely wrong? I mean you were in the other thread too. Mangiapane a defensive liability and perimeter player....pfft.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Surprised the Flames finally cucked on the retention. Markstrorm probably gave them no other option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad