Confirmed Trade: [NJD/CGY] Jacob Markstrom for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected); Flames retain 31.25%

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think people forget what goalies tend to return in trades.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
As a Devils fan, this is a little bit more than I expected them to give up but not awful.

Figured a 2025 1st round pick was the most likely asset to go back. Should be a late round pick. I liked Bahl, but not sure how confident NJ was going with him next season penciled in the lineup. Devils were looking for an upgrade at LD to go along with Siegenthaler and Luke Hughes.

Glad they held onto the #10 pick - could get a good LD or forward in that spot. I also like that they kept Holtz - want to see how he does after another offseason (improved a good amount last year) and with a new coaching staff.

Flames have a glut if not a logjam of LD. I wonder if we send one in your direction. It might also make more sense in terms of value.

EDIT: I guess retention makes up that value difference instead.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Flames have a number of big young D in their system and added another. I don't think the Devils pick will be a great one in 2025, but who knows how that shakes out. I think this is a pretty good deal for both sides. Devils good be dangerous with NHL level goaltending and paid a reasonable price to get it.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They just traded a 34 year old goalie for a first round pick and a prospect.

“Terrible return” - random hfboards poster

They soured the relationship with the player playing games to get more and that is all they got

imMagnum

Jan 10, 2017
Even if it's a slight overpay (I don't think it is), Fitz has been trying to land a goalie for years now. Don't mind an overpay at all to finally get out goalie mess figured out.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Well those details changes things quite a bit. Good for jersey to get retention.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I mean, Holtz/Casey and a 1st is very different than Bahl and a 1st. Bahl isn't a "prospect", he's a depth NHL defenseman with pretty limited upside.
I said at 50% retained. I said 1st and prospect guaranteed. Bahl is 23. He's well under the 25 cut off every site around uses.

• Haha
Reactions: PBandJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad