Seravalli: NJ is actively looking to trade John Marino- Canucks mentioned.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Garland is very least likely to be traded considering they just re-signed Bleuger and Joshua to re-run that potent 3rd line.

I also dont think they move Garland with the Canucks striking out on a winger like Guentzel. Garland might be a candidate to move into the top 6 to play with EP40.

Hoglander is the only winger i can see being moved with any value.

How has Marino been? Canucks should just gamble on someone like Dumba who wouldnt cost assets imo unless Marino is a clear cut top 4 Dman
As much as it I don't want to see it, I feel Garland will be dealt this offseason. He has never shown any ability when put in a top 6 role, and at 5 mil/3rd line, is our only contract that we can deal to open up space. I think that money would be far better suited to go toward the top 6 and or a #4RD. We would look for a cheaper option 3rd line option with more size that can PK. I get this may take away some chemistry on our 3rd line, but improving our top 6 forwards/top 4 D would have much more impact.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Marino had a subpar year last year but there were a lot of reasons for that. All the team injuries (Hamilton most prominently) left him playing more minutes than is ideal for him. Often paired with rookies too - he played better the year before alongside a veteran in Graves.

I don’t particularly think his performance in 23-24 is indicative of a decline in ability, just a set of circumstances that pulled him out of his usual role and workload. He’s an excellent second pairing guy - for a while last year (when both Hamilton and Seigenthaler were hurt) he was the only healthy defenseman on the team earning above the league average salary (the 6 were Marino Hughes Nemec Bahl Smith Miller )… So he was expected to shoulder a load that really is not a role anyone acquiring him should expect to put him in.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Marino makes sense if Zadorov walks.

Rights to Zadorov + a pick? I don't know his value that well

Rights to Zadorov isn’t a relevant thing here. The only reason the Devils are moving Marino is to make room for Pesce. If they had room for another veteran they wouldn’t be moving him, they’d be keeping him as that other veteran. So getting the rights to Zadorov is pointless - they don’t want another veteran defenseman beyond adding Pesce, that’s why they’re looking to move this one.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
As much as it I don't want to see it, I feel Garland will be dealt this offseason. He has never shown any ability when put in a top 6 role, and at 5 mil/3rd line, is our only contract that we can deal to open up space. I think that money would be far better suited to go toward the top 6 and or a #4RD. We would look for a cheaper option 3rd line option with more size that can PK. I get this may take away some chemistry on our 3rd line, but improving our top 6 forwards/top 4 D would have much more impact.
I don't understand why people keep saying this. He carried the second line his first year here to a monstrous 50 even strength points.

He had the first slump of his career last year and then was good again this year, and looked good this year in the very limited minutes he spent with Pettersson, it just wasn't tried much.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
I think we are looking at this wrong. No way Fitz takes picks back for Marino. Top 4 RHD is one of the hottest commodities in the sport right now and I think he will only go for a similar situated LHD. Who that is I don't know but I think that will be the return for Marino.

XXX Nemec
Luke Pesce
Siegenthaler Hamilton

The return for 10th Overall plus maybe a prospect like Holtz will be for the top 6 W (or high end 3c) fill.

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I don't understand why people keep saying this. He carried the second line his first year here to a monstrous 50 even strength points.

He had the first slump of his career last year and then was good again this year, and looked good this year in the very limited minutes he spent with Pettersson, it just wasn't tried much.
He is a solid player, I'm not saying he isn't. But 5 mil for a 3rd liner that doesn't have size or PK is less than ideal. If we can trade him for a player who can impact our top 4 F or top4 D, I'm totally fine with that. Look at the canucks roster, there is nobody else that you can do that with.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I like Marino. Signing pesce just to trade Marino seems like a marginal upgrade. A third is not going to get it done. Devils don’t need another small winger so garland isn’t interesting either

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
He is a solid player, I'm not saying he isn't. But 5 mil for a 3rd liner that doesn't have size or PK is less than ideal. If we can trade him for a player who can impact our top 4 F or top4 D, I'm totally fine with that. Look at the canucks roster, there is nobody else that you can do that with.
3rd liners don't score 50 ES points while carrying the second line, that's 1st line/star player production.

Players who also scored roughly that same amount that season were Reinhart, Debrincat, Hischier, Tkachuk, Aho, Marchand - this isn't a list of 3rd liners.

He slumped for one year but other than that he scores like a first line player, drives his line, and draws more penalties than almost anyone else on the team. He was a huge reason our team was successful this year.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I would think that this is a cap clearing opportunity for NJ. Not that they shouldn't get value but I don't think they would be looking to add a garland-type salary.

I have to think the low-cost upside of Hoglander would be appealing, though.

Dunno. But my wife and I were looking around the league last night and we spent a bit of timing considering his potential availability and possible trade options. heh. fun stuff.
Nothing low cost about Hoglander other than his pay checks. If it’s a Hoglander trade, some other picks or players are coming to Van as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad