Value of: Nikolaj Ehlers to the Canucks

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
You already had your chance to have him for nothing in 2014. Instead you ended up with Jake Virtanan

Anyway, start with a 1st and a B prospect at least since that's what he'll get at the TDL if he's on the market then

If he comes with an extension agreed to, it'll cost more than that

No interest in undersized wingers
Believe me, I was livid at the time.
What makes Ehlers a distressed asset?
Scheifele and Hellybuyck were a year away from UFA last summer as well.
It doesn't feel like the Jets have ever fully bought into him or played him in a position his talent demands.

Feels like he hasn't spent much time on the top pp, or gotten as much ice-time as he might need to truly breakout.

Also, he's a UFA and the tenor seems to be that he may explore elsewhere.

So when I say distressed, I mean might be a buy-low candidate for a player whom I think still has some real upside.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
BOS: Ehlers (25% retained) and McGroaty
WPG: Frederic, Lysell, Merkulov, Bussi and 2025 1st
I can't see the Jets having any interest in that. One player is a rental downgrade from Ehlers and the remainder, outside of the first, does nothing for the Jets and you expect retention. It just seems like a collection of pieces you want to get rid of for good pieces.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Keep Galrland. He is what makes our bottom 6 run. Gives us depth. Fits perfectly into our identity under Tocchet.

Not sure why so many fans want to trade him. 47Points 19Even Strength Goals. and that was after a very slow start on the year.

Garland as a player has a lot of value. But when you attach his contract to him it brings his value down .

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Garland is getting seriously underrated in this thread. “Zero worth”? What a joke.

You guys have been trying to get rid of him for two years for a reason

He's a perfectly decent player but no one is paying shit for a undersized 3rd liner making 5 million. Retaining makes no sense for Vancouver. No one in the playoffs would take him and no one out of the playoffs would pay anything for him.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

He's a perfectly decent player but no one is paying shit for a undersized 3rd liner making 5 million. Retaining makes no sense for Vancouver. No one in the playoffs would take him and no one out of the playoffs would pay anything for him.
You do realize the cap went up $4.5M since the Canucks have tried to move Garland and he also had a very solid season and postseason. Vancouver would have zero issues moving him for positive value at this point if they wanted to.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
For me:

- I like Garland generally speaking, always have.

- I like Ehlers, always have.

- Last five years Ehlers has missed 50 games more then Garland, so about 10 games per year on average. IMO its a factor but not a huge one. His one period he missed a big number was a broken collar bone (IIRC).

- Same age

- Ehlers has one year term vs Garland who I think has three (damn I miss capfriendly already), depends if a contract is extended with Ehlers or not how that effects the values.

- Ehlers gets criticized for his playoff production (14 pts in 37 games), but TBH Garland is no different (7 pts in 21 games).

- I certainly don't consider Garland a cap dump, I think he's a good player for his role. Ehlers is a good player for his role. Both players play different roles on their teams.

- For me, I just don't know if Garland would be a good fit in the Jets top 6 and the Jet's don't need a 3rd winger. Garland is more of a grinder then Ehlers, Ehlers is more a speed guy with elite zone exits & entries, he excels playing that type of game. Garland is more suited for a grinder line IMO, Jets don't have a top 6 grinder line and don't want to pay Garland cap hit to play him in the bottom 6.

IMO, just not a great fit for the Jets
Seems like a trade where both teams get a player but also create a gaping hole in the process. Doesn’t make much sense

Reactions: Szechwan

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Ya, he had negative value last year. A non-playoff team taking him for future considerations is an improvement.
The Canucks dumped Anthony Beauviller for a 5th last season under a flat cap. Garland’s value is very easily worth more under a rapidly rising cap with 2 years of commitment. It just makes no sense for them to consider moving him without an upgrade in place.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
The Canucks dumped Anthony Beauviller for a 5th last season under a flat cap. Garland’s value is very easily worth more under a rapidly rising cap with 2 years of commitment. It just makes no sense for them to consider moving him without an upgrade in place.

You upgrade him using the 5 million in salary you save. That's the whole reason for the trade.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada

A few fans on HF doesn't mean we are trying to get rid of him for 2 years.
I can't see anyone around 5M that can replace him. He drives whatever line he plays on. He forechecks hard, plays good defense . Gets under teams skin. 19 Even Strength Goals. He is a good player.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Looks like the Canucks should keep Garland and stay away from Ehlers.

We don't want to move Garland, but if the team wants to make a big move someone has to go to cap.

The people who want to trade for Ehlers know that and move the only "bad" contract on the team, which isn't even bad.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We don't want to move Garland, but if the team wants to make a big move someone has to go to cap.

The people who want to trade for Ehlers know that and move the only "bad" contract on the team, which isn't even bad.
Ehlers has a higher cap hit than Garland, so a swap doesn't make sense from a cap perspective.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'd want to keep Garland and trade futures for a guy like Ehlers instead, only way to do that is to accrue cap space during the season.

Garland is hilariously underrated for how good he is offensively at 5v5, hell there's people in this thread saying he has no value at his cap hit.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

You had no idea what you’re talking about. His production and underlying metrics are clearly that of a second liner, and he’s playing on the third because he can actually drive a line to impressive results away from a top line center. He’s small but is a buzz saw who is a one man forecheck and was the Canucks best forward against Edmonton. He’s better and cheaper than Mangiapane who just went for a 2nd.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Wasn’t the asking price from jets a 1st round pick and a prospect ?

I don’t think jets want salary back.

It would probably be one of

Willander
Lekkermaki
Elias pettersson (Dman)

2025 1st rounder

For ehlers.

Winnipeg gonna move on from him. I’m personally not a fan of adding another winger of ehlers profile to our team especially at the cost of 2 prospects .

Gonna pass on this one.

As oiler fans have always made fun of us for.

Too many soft euros.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Wasn’t the asking price from jets a 1st round pick and a prospect ?

I don’t think jets want salary back.

It would probably be one of

Willander
Lekkermaki
Elias pettersson (Dman)

2025 1st rounder

For ehlers.

Winnipeg gonna move on from him. I’m personally not a fan of adding another winger of ehlers profile to our team especially at the cost of 2 prospects .

Gonna pass on this one.

As oiler fans have always made fun of us for.

Too many soft euros.
jets aren't trading ehlers for futures

Reactions: lawrence

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Wasn’t Garland’s value considered to be in cap dump territory recently? A 2nd doesn’t do much for us.
I mean according to HF so wa Boeser and JT at one point.

Garland has had two productive seasons sandwiched between one meh season as a nuck. Before he was traded he was universally loved on HF.
He's a guy that can be a 60+ guy with pp time, not worth Ehlers alone I'd add a 1st if there was retention to equal Garland.

Reactions: Szechwan

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Garland for Ehlers is so lateral to me. Yeah probably Ehlers is a better player but when you factor CAP hit and the assets required to make the swap it's absolutely pointless asset management. Plus Garland has excellent chemistry with Blueger and Joshua who were both extended - like why mess with a good thing? For a player that has struggled in the playoffs and doesn't move the needle at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad