Confirmed with Link: Nikolai Khabibulin returns to Hawks (1 yr deal)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Cap Geek has a few guys that most likely won't be on the roster in the fall. Hayes,Morin and Smith

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
New goalie coach, want a goalie that isn't going to be rattled by a new town or expectations, want a veteran...Khabibulin covers all of the major concerns but brings an injury risk.

I'm not a fan of 2 million. Bickell and Leddy getting a little more than I like too. All those thousands are adding up and it will be tough to get the upgrade at a position without injuries.

As somebody mentioned before, it could have been worse. I'm not ready to trust Raanta and I don't think it would be fun to worry too much about the 2 dozen or so games Crawford doesn't start.

SLarmer28*

What makes you think that? I can't believe I'm saying this - but it would be disastrous if Kruger left.
If Marcus Kruger is looking for a Michael Frolik contract, no it would not.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Cap Geek has a few guys that most likely won't be on the roster in the fall. Hayes,Morin and Smith

Smith is going to be on the roster, and Morin has a very good chance. Hayes will likely start in Rockford, but could beat out Morin in camp. Either way, just minus 800K.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Huh? You don't think there is somebody ready to fill a 4th line PK role on this team and win 40% of faceoffs? :laugh:

Kruger was good at his role but is easily replaceable.

No, there's not somebody ready to take over one of the best PKs in the NHL. Especially since we already lost half of that duo.

The ability to replace Kruger is being overstated just like it was for Frolik.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If our Powerplay is not fixed than I think keeping Kruger is a big priority especially given the loss of Frolik. It would be very bad if the Hawks have a terrible PP and a terrible PK like in 2011-2012. The PowerPlay being so awful this year was only mitigated by the fact the the PK was terrific. Frolik and Kruger were the top duo on that and were fantastic in their roles. Losing Frolik will hurt a little there, but losing both of them would be bad considering we'll be right up against the cap.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Khabbys contract is not a problem. we have our roster set and carry a 23 men roster

Hawks have Antti waiting if Khabby goes down. It's one year, no big deal. I do think Kruger is maybe gone.

that's why talks are still going and after Bolland and Frolik gone, you really think it's easy to replace him? Who should do this? Boyd Gordon got 3 million....

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
That's great but you guys are over valuing Kruger way tooooo much. Maybe they can sign him but obviously he may be looking for more than they can afford. Maybe he's not happy with 4th line PK duty... who knows.

They can afford him even if he was asking for 2.5M. Yeah, he'll probably be signed for higher than most on this board have been speculating for the past few months, but anyone hoping they could sign him for 1.2M was dreaming anyways.

I'll guess 1.9M for Kruger, over 2 years.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
They can afford him even if he was asking for 2.5M. Yeah, he'll probably be signed for higher than most on this board have been speculating for the past few months, but anyone hoping they could sign him for 1.2M was dreaming anyways.

I'll guess 1.9M for Kruger, over 2 years.

.... and where does 1.9 put them with the cap. Guys posting rosters with 700k left in cap space are dreaming.

I have no idea what they're at. What was Rosi's deal?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
.... and where does 1.9 put them with the cap. Guys posting rosters with 700k left in cap space are dreaming.

I have no idea what they're at. What was Rosi's deal?

This is what they're likely looking at:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Bryan Bickell ($4.000m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Brandon Pirri ($0.870m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Brandon Saad ($0.894m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.578m) / Jeremy Morin ($0.887m)
Marcus Kruger ($1.900m) / Michal Handzus ($1.000m) / Ben Smith ($0.563m)
Brandon Bollig ($0.575m) / Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.383m)
Nick Leddy ($2.700m) / Michal Rozsival ($2.250m)
Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m) /
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Nikolai Khabibulin ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,954,295; BONUSES: $677,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $23,205

The answer is pretty clear: Trade Sheldon Brookbank. He's too expensive to be a #7 Dman and the guy's good enough to be an NHL regular. Trade him to a team looking for depth, and get some cap space in return.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
This is what they're likely looking at:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Bryan Bickell ($4.000m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Brandon Pirri ($0.870m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Brandon Saad ($0.894m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.578m) / Jeremy Morin ($0.887m)
Marcus Kruger ($1.900m) / Michal Handzus ($1.000m) / Ben Smith ($0.563m)
Brandon Bollig ($0.575m) / Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.383m)
Nick Leddy ($2.700m) / Michal Rozsival ($2.250m)
Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m) /
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Nikolai Khabibulin ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,954,295; BONUSES: $677,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $23,205

The answer is pretty clear: Trade Sheldon Brookbank. He's too expensive to be a #7 Dman and the guy's good enough to be an NHL regular. Trade him to a team looking for depth, and get some cap space in return.

Well they would have to with 23k in cap space.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The amount of angst on this board over backup goalies makes me want to run my head through a brick wall.

I'm sure you'd quickly understand why if Crawford ever suffered a major injury. Hawks have been gambling on him staying healthy for quite a while, and losing Emery makes the situation more precarious (without Buli joining the fray)... and btw, we still lack depth in net.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
This team has a glut of young forwards ready to step up, not so much for D.

Did the Hawks resign Beach? Is he gone finally?

And none of them can PK or are particularly defensively refined.

Besides, we're talking about replacing a #7 Dman, that only played sparingly vs. replacing the Hawks top penalty-killer, who was a quality contributor to winning the Cup.

It's not really a debate. At all. Are you upset because Stalberg's gone and Kruger's staying? I don't really get the persistence in trying to say Kruger will/could be gone.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I'm sure you'd quickly understand why if Crawford ever suffered a major injury. Hawks have been gambling on him staying healthy for quite a while, and losing Emery makes the situation more precarious (without Buli joining the fray)... and btw, we still lack depth in net.

How Bobby? How do the Hawks lack depth in net?

Crawford - Proven #1
Khabibulan - Quality #2
Raanta - Outstanding prospect, SM-Liiga MVP

How many teams boast that depth? Hmm? Name me 10 teams Bobby. 10.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
And none of them can PK or are particularly defensively refined.

Besides, we're talking about replacing a #7 Dman, that only played sparingly vs. replacing the Hawks top penalty-killer, who was a quality contributor to winning the Cup.

It's not really a debate. At all. Are you upset because Stalberg's gone and Kruger's staying? I don't really get the persistence in trying to say Kruger will/could be gone.

What are you, 5? Seriously.

The discussion about where the Hawks depth lies as far as prospects is fairly easy to understand. Even for someone with dimwitted comments. Brookbank is the 1st guy in if someone goes down. The Hawks can choose from a variety of forwards if Kruger leaves.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
What are you, 5? Seriously.

The discussion about where the Hawks depth lies as far as prospects is fairly easy to understand. Even for someone with dimwitted comments.

Right, so why are you so damn persistent? Do you deny that it's easier to replace a #7 Dman than the team's top PKer?

I said that a few posts ago, and you continued to try and rationalize why trading Kruger makes more sense. It doesn't. Just pieced two and two together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad