Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov - Protecting Our Investment

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Just musing on this:

- I think Zadorov's initial ask was a Myers-esque $6m/6yrs, which is fine because he may as well ask for the moon.
- The Canucks came back with $4.5m/4yrs counter offer. Then silence.
- Nothing happens contract wise but each side starts to use the media. Zadorov's Canucks discount is relayed to Allvin as $5.5m/6yrs.
- Then, Mikheyev is dealt and each of Joshua, Myers and Zadorov get increased offers. Joshua and Myers agree.
- Allvin gives Zadorov $4.75m/5yrs final offer. Zadorov balks and walks to FA.

Anyway, just pure speculation. I think if he had an initial ask of $5m AAV, Allvin could have got him locked up somewhere between $4.5m to $5m.

Reactions: Chiripa20 and F A N

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose it was a long-shot from the beginning that either Zadorov or Lindholm would re-sign in Vancouver.

But that's what makes these deadline acquisitions so damn expensive. In terms of draft capital, the Canucks expended a first rounder and a fourth rounder in the Lindholm deal; and a third and fifth rounder or Zadorov. Also heading out the door was prospect d-men Hunter Brzustewicz and Joni Jurmo.

On a positive side, they were able to jettison the entire amount of Kuzmenko's contract which has another year to run.

But when you figure you have team capable of making a deep playoff run, I guess it's just the cost of doing business. But unless the Canucks can re-acquire some picks down the road, their overall prospect pool is bound to be impacted for years.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I suppose it was a long-shot from the beginning that either Zadorov or Lindholm would re-sign in Vancouver.
I wouldn’t say that. Zadorov and his expiring $3.75M contract was acquired for a 5th and future 3rd. That’s not the price paid for an above average top 4 Dman with size. The guy raised his perceived value and asking price after the playoffs.

Reactions: quat

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I remember the days of Nonis dealing something like 2nd round picks for "rentals" (and these players were hardly better than bottom six fowards and/or 3rd pairing defensemen). Granted, those players were "vets". Though that wasn't unique among many/most GMs.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I highly suspect he will bust in his new location and the team that gives him that contract will look to rid themselves of it in a few years. If the Canucks want him they can probably circle back in a few years and take him back off someone's hands with retention and draft picks attached.

This isn't an indictment on Z but just a reality of a 4/5 defenseman getting paid for a small sample size. Expectations will rise as soon as he inks that fat contract and I'm not sure his career body of work supports it. I understand taking the bag but his career would be better off accepting a 4/5 year deal in the 4-4.5 million range where expectations will be kept in line with his career so far.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Nothing wrong with prioritizing his personal interest, it is a commercial world afterall.
Wish he was willing to earn less for the team though, he fits the team very well and we certainly could use a player like him.

He wouldnt get the chances here on other teams; We would have a hard time replacing him as he fits the role assigned by the canucks almost perfectly.
Maybe he'll change his mind later, unless some dumbass GM offers something like 6mi/6yrs.

Reactions: quat

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I suspect that, when we see what Zadorov signs for, most of us will be thankful the contract wasn’t with the Canucks. 6x6M would not shock me.
I actually think he might get 7 years but lesser AAV. Could see something like high 4’s or 5x7

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I actually think he might get 7 years but lesser AAV. Could see something like high 4’s or 5x7
Yeah, I could see that. Bottom line is that he should get around $20M over 4 to 5 years. But he’ll likely get closer to $35 M on only a slightly longer term.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Really seems like we offered a fair $$ but he is recognizing that he is on a big upswing timing wise with his playoffs that he can capitalize on teams being horny for huge defensemen.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Rumor is that Canucks offered 5 million but was rejected.
If true, I think that was the max I would have offered too

Reactions: MarkMM

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Canucks should've tried to sign him earlier in the year when he would've come on a much more reasonable deal, but then again you understand them wanting to see things play out.

I think the Canucks made a fair offer from our perspective, best of luck to Z.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Just saw the CanucksArmy article.

Equally shocked that they went to 5M, and that it was rejected.

Knew it. Allvin should have been able to close the Zadorov contract at $5m AAV/5 yrs. Zadorov rejected it. He wanted more, and I'm glad the Canucks balked at that higher number.

This is good management.

Just musing on this:

- I think Zadorov's initial ask was a Myers-esque $6m/6yrs, which is fine because he may as well ask for the moon.
- The Canucks came back with $4.5m/4yrs counter offer. Then silence.
- Nothing happens contract wise but each side starts to use the media. Zadorov's Canucks discount is relayed to Allvin as $5.5m/6yrs.
- Then, Mikheyev is dealt and each of Joshua, Myers and Zadorov get increased offers. Joshua and Myers agree.
- Allvin gives Zadorov $4.75m/5yrs final offer. Zadorov balks and walks to FA.

Anyway, just pure speculation. I think if he had an initial ask of $5m AAV, Allvin could have got him locked up somewhere between $4.5m to $5m.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
I loved what Zadorov brought to the Canucks, but I don't remember him being quite so dynamic with the Flames, and it seemed curious that they were willing to let him go if he was such an impact player who was adequately cost-controlled. How does a 29-year old career 5D jump from $3.75 to $6 after impressing for half a season? My suspicion is that even with the cap going up significantly, if Zadorov ends up with something like 6x6 the contract has the potential to age poorly. Allvin outrgiht stated he prioritized resigning Myers - who he called his #4 - over overpaying & overcommitting to a #5. Looking at his ATOI, the only two seasons he was above #5 in ATOI for D on his teams was COL 17-18 (#4) and CHI 20-21 (#3). He actually slipped to 7th his first season in Calgary. Before we picked him up, he started the season in Calgary as #6. I loved watching him play, sad to see him go, maybe he peaked here, but regardless of how he impressed, there is something missing in his game that has kept him at #5 for most of his career, so there is no reason to give him significantly more than what an average 5D should get: is the size + hitting + "intagibles" enough to justify an extra million or two and two or three more years?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I loved what Zadorov brought to the Canucks, but I don't remember him being quite so dynamic with the Flames, and it seemed curious that they were willing to let him go if he was such an impact player who was adequately cost-controlled. How does a 29-year old career 5D jump from $3.75 to $6 after impressing for half a season? My suspicion is that even with the cap going up significantly, if Zadorov ends up with something like 6x6 the contract has the potential to age poorly. Allvin outrgiht stated he prioritized resigning Myers - who he called his #4 - over overpaying & overcommitting to a #5. Looking at his ATOI, the only two seasons he was above #5 in ATOI for D on his teams was COL 17-18 (#4) and CHI 20-21 (#3). He actually slipped to 7th his first season in Calgary. Before we picked him up, he started the season in Calgary as #6. I loved watching him play, sad to see him go, maybe he peaked here, but regardless of how he impressed, there is something missing in his game that has kept him at #5 for most of his career, so there is no reason to give him significantly more than what an average 5D should get: is the size + hitting + "intagibles" enough to justify an extra million or two and two or three more years?
Canada's greatest athlete knows!;)

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Big Z is 6’6 255. That is Monstrous Lol. He changed the team dynamic with his physicality, there was a stat where the number of hits per game by the Canucks was significantly higher after acquiring Zadorov, everyone played like they were a couple inches taller and a few pounds heavier with him in the lineup. If we can’t afford to keep him we need someone that can bring it physically to replace Big Z. Lot’s of Zadorov Lite’s available in free agency that will be cheaper, not as huge or monstrous but still able to hit hard effectively and make the team tougher to play against.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Knew it. Allvin should have been able to close the Zadorov contract at $5m AAV/5 yrs. Zadorov rejected it. He wanted more, and I'm glad the Canucks balked at that higher number.

This is good management.
As much as I love Zadorov and how he makes everyone play a little bit larger, he is not worth 5+ million when he only plays like a 5 million guy in the playoffs. I would stop at 5x5 too. So far I have agreed to everything management has done.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He was playing pretty neutered the last few games against Edmonton, wasnt noticeable in a way you wanted him to be. Overall he seemed to disappear for stretches, followed by moments of great hits and smart d plays. If he can ever get it all together and play more consistent he would be worth what he is asking. If not, whatever teams signs him will be mildly disappointed with him overpayed for a few years

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Ripping off Bill Maher here from his monlogue last night but if Zadorov dressed like a guy on his way to a colonoscopy, didn't make eye contact, or clip his nose hair, he be getting $4Mx2 (edit: $3M was low) offers.
I love the guy because he's big, he hits, and he has a great personality. He's ok at hockey.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1