Player Discussion Nikita Tryamkin | V

Status
Not open for further replies.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Hope he can come back and form our Top Pairing with Hughes.

The Tom & Jerry Pairing.

He was just ok when he was here. I find it strange that people think he left as close to a top pairing D. Sure he looked raw and malleable in a good way but he clearly is a work in progress. I don't see his ceiling as a top pairing D. But yeah it would be great if he came back as a top pair D, but in that sense it would also be great if Briesbois becomes a top 4 D for us.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't get the issue with showing Tryamkin videos of Pronger playing. I mean Pronger was one of the best big men in the history of the game. No one seemed outraged when it was reported that the Canucks asked Subban to watch video of Ryan Ellis.

Actually, I guess I do get it. People hear "Pronger video" and they think they're having Tryamkin watch Pronger stomp on Kesler's leg on a loop. Because Pronger wasn't any good at actually playing ice hockey and there's no way a young Groot could learn something from him.
The obvious difference is that Subban plays the game very similarly to Ryan Ellis and ALREADY emulates him, whereas Tryamkin doesn't play the game anything like Chris Pronger. "big men" aside, it's a stylistic mismatch.

While Pronger is incredible at hockey on top of being mean and nasty, being mean and nasty is such a relentless and integral part of his defensive game that it would be difficult to separate them and for that not to send a mixed message, if that wasn't what was intended. You would have a better argument if we were talking about Chara, who plays more of a smothering, reach-based positional game (somewhat similar to Tryamkin), with nastiness on the side.

Reports have suggested that Tryamkin was asked to "be like Pronger", which sounds like a request to emulate his overall game rather than just analyze some great plays he made. Being asked to "be like Pronger (but not necessarily the nastiness)" is like being asked to "be like McDavid (but not necessarily the edge work/acceleration)". There's obviously more to them than just that, but everything they do and how they approach the game is informed by that. I don't think you can make that request without the expectation of nastiness being implied.

The coaching staff also haven't exactly been shy about their desire for Tryamkin to play a more physical brand of hockey. There's also this quote "If he would have stepped up like he did against (Jamie) Benn (Thursday), if he would have stepped up like that against (Brad) Marchand, I think we win that Boston game,"

In addition to this, someone will have to dig it up, but there have been translated interviews from Tryamkin that hint at this type of physical expectation/intimidation/machismo being a part of his frustration (in addition to icetime, which was the primary frustration), although he didn't point fingers.

Many signs point to the likelihood of this, not just the fact that Tryamkin happened to be shown a video with Pronger in it as an example of a smart way to make a play (which would be innocent enough on its own). While you're correct that it's technically possible that this is all a big misunderstanding or that reports are misleading, I think it would be pretty naive to lean towards the likelihood of that.

The second bit is just childish straw man.

Last edited:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Rumblings out of Russia that Tryamkin has been sitting for a few games and his coach stripped his captaincy...interesting.

I'll be honest. When I first read this, I thought this was some sort of inside job by the Russian government to punish Tryamkin.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Haha this rat deserves it, to hell with him. Hope the Putin league wont sign him, hope the NHL steers clear, and hope the guy realizes that hating our league, our country, our city, the way we like freedom... that the way he did this WILL have consequences. No mercy, no forgiveness, until the guy truly admits the MASSIVE error of his ways :rant:

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Haha this rat deserves it, to hell with him. Hope the Putin league wont sign him, hope the NHL steers clear, and hope the guy realizes that hating our league, our country, our city, the way we like freedom... that the way he did this WILL have consequences. No mercy, no forgiveness, until the guy truly admits the MASSIVE error of his ways :rant:
Did he mess with your girl or something? Chill man

Reactions: Zombotron

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Rumblings out of Russia that Tryamkin has been sitting for a few games and his coach stripped his captaincy...interesting.
How TF do they strip a player of the captaincy when their team is 18-0!

How toxic is this kid's attitude/performance?

Or.. more likely...

With an 18-0 start, in combination with Tryamkin under performing, there is probably a stud or two on the team that has risen and clearly taken over the locker room.

I had guessed that Tryamkin was given the captaincy as a ploy to keep him from coming over to the NHL...

But 18-0, plus 4 scratches/missed gms, kinda suggest he may no longer be viewed as a critical piece they thought he was so they are moving the C yo the more appropriate player..

He has another season over there after this one.. so let's hope for continued maturity and development...
I still fully expect him to come over..

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How TF do they strip a player of the captaincy when their team is 18-0!

How toxic is this kid's attitude/performance?

Or.. more likely...

With an 18-0 start, in combination with Tryamkin under performing, there is probably a stud or two on the team that has risen and clearly taken over the locker room.

I had guessed that Tryamkin was given the captaincy as a ploy to keep him from coming over to the NHL...

But 18-0, plus 4 scratches/missed gms, kinda suggest he may no longer be viewed as a critical piece they thought he was so they are moving the C yo the more appropriate player..

He has another season over there after this one.. so let's hope for continued maturity and development...
I still fully expect him to come over..

They probably did a vote on most popular Canuck and Ilya Krikunov won the captaincy.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
What in the bluest of blue hells are you going on about?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
There is something extremely weird going on with Tryamkin in Russia...I just read a Russian transcript where the coach suggested that Tryamkin should 'ripen' as captain?

wtf does that mean...(grow up..?)

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
There is something extremely weird going on with Tryamkin in Russia...I just read a Russian transcript where the coach suggested that Tryamkin should 'ripen' as captain?

wtf does that mean...(grow up..?)

Probably a poor translation;
I'd imagine that particular "ripen" is a word in Russian that can be understood as becoming more mature.

As in ripen, mature, cook, age, bake, mellow.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Tryamkin was scratched for one game and Dawes was named captain long before the team was 18-0.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
What in the bluest of blue hells are you going on about?

apparently he took it personally when an athlete decided to do what was best for him and his girlfriend. Personally, well done by Try to show some backbone. Hope he comes back in 2 years when we need him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad