Value of: Nicklas Backstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In other words, the Caps are guaranteed to win the cup this year, without Backstrom, even though they don't lead their own division. You heard it here first folks.

I am not sure what not leading their division has to do with anything. Its not like they are not in a position to win their division. The Caps have finished a head or tied for the lead in their division 6 straight seasons. I've seen nothing to indicate that won't happen again.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
OK lets say Caps trade them both. In defense Carlson leaves a huge hole to fill. Orlov can step up but defence would be very weak. In my opinion center would be too weak too. We would need similar players back. What do you think Caps would get for them?

I agree that we should trade Hagelin. AJF can replace him. In goal I would also explore trading Samsonov+ for a more experienced goalie.

I am not going to get into a long back and forth on this but if you think Orlov can replace the best scoring defenseman in the league and a rookie with fewer than 10 NHL games played is going to replace their top penalty kill minutes veteran you are nuts.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
I am not going to get into a long back and forth on this but if you think Orlov can replace the best scoring defenseman in the league and a rookie with fewer than 10 NHL games played is going to replace their top penalty kill minutes veteran you are nuts.

Like I said the defence would be worse without Carlson and Orlov as #1. Hagelin is 4th liner and a rookie can fill that place no problem. McMichael and Fehervery are rookies too and they are doing great on more challenging roles.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Like I said the defence would be worse without Carlson and Orlov as #1. Hagelin is 4th liner and a rookie can fill that place no problem. McMichael and Fehervery are rookies too and they are doing great on more challenging roles.

Stop. Rewind. Hagelin is not a typical 4th liner and the Caps 4th line usually plays 3rd line minutes. They are matched against the opposing first line. Normally a coach would love to get his 1st line out against the opposing 4th line. Instead that is the matchup Laviolette wants and its been very successful. Hagelin is the lead defensive forward on the team. Some cheap plug or a rookie grinder is not going to replace that. McMichael is marginal. Is a not ready for primetime prospect. Has 2 goals and none in the last 6 games. His game is offense. Fehervary is playing with Carlson. They get the offensive assignments. He has been good, but his partner is a Norris finalist.

If you think Axe can replace Hagelin, you have lost your mind

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I’m sorry there are arguments that can logically be made and well-defended that are just stupid.

Orlov replacing Carlson. Stupid.
Kuznetsov replacing Backstrom. Stupid.
Fehervary replacing a seasoned NHL veteran. Stupid
This thread and the idea behind its inception. Stupid.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
I am not sure what not leading their division has to do with anything. Its not like they are not in a position to win their division. The Caps have finished a head or tied for the lead in their division 6 straight seasons. I've seen nothing to indicate that won't happen again.

Well, they're not guaranteed to win their division, let alone to win the cup. Nor are they the most likely to do so. Yet they "don't need" Backstrom somehow.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, they're not guaranteed to win their division, let alone to win the cup. Nor are they the most likely to do so. Yet they "don't need" Backstrom somehow.

Nobody is guaranteed to win the cup and nobody has even odds to win it. Thats not the point. The idea that they dont need Backstrom is Illpucks stupidity/trolling. I was addressing just that they were not leading their division and am more than willing to argue that they are a leget cup contender.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
Stop. Rewind. Hagelin is not a typical 4th liner and the Caps 4th line usually plays 3rd line minutes. They are matched against the opposing first line. Normally a coach would love to get his 1st line out against the opposing 4th line. Instead that is the matchup Laviolette wants and its been very successful. Hagelin is the lead defensive forward on the team. Some cheap plug or a rookie grinder is not going to replace that. McMichael is marginal. Is a not ready for primetime prospect. Has 2 goals and none in the last 6 games. His game is offense. Fehervary is playing with Carlson. They get the offensive assignments. He has been good, but his partner is a Norris finalist.

If you think Axe can replace Hagelin, you have lost your mind

Hagelin has no offensive skills at all and is paid too much. He is just a grinder. Axe can play that role too. McMichael and Fehervary are rooking who are paid way less and I think Fehervery is more important with his top4 role than Hagelin. McMichael is still learning and when playoffs come he will be way better and might even be playing top6 in the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hagelin has no offensive skills at all and is paid too much. He is just a grinder. Axe can play that role too. McMichael and Fehervary are rooking who are paid way less and I think Fehervery is more important with his top4 role than Hagelin. McMichael is still learning and when playoffs come he will be way better and might even be playing top6 in the playoffs.

Play that role? You seem to just dismiss the idea that one player can be better much less far better than another player at the defensive game and penalty killing. If you think Axe is as good as Hagelin at those things, you way off. It will take AJF years to achieve the level of experience required to be anywhere near as good. I assume you dont think there is such a thing as an elite defensive forward?

Hagelin's job isn't about offense. Have you ever looked at his stick? Its not configured for offense. For a reason. I like Fehervary but like AJF his lack of experience is a weakness that only time will address. Meanwhile there is no need to choose between any of the defensemen and Hagelin.

Lets not continue this. There is nothing I can say that will effect your thinking here. Ive seen it before. Yet still Hagelin still skates top 9 mins and is tied for the lead with Tom Wilson for shorthanded ice time. Hagelin while skating against the opposing top line is a plus goal differential player. +3. 7th among forwards. Dowd is 0 and Hathaway +4. So, you can complain about it, but it wont be changing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad