Value of: Nicklas Backstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Huh? Its Crosby + Malkin. They can play together but they play the same position and its Backstrom + Kuznetsov. The replacement would not be Kuznetsov. It would be the rookie McMichael. But you know that.
But he was saying
Crosby + Malkin
Ovi + Backstrom

So 1 is C+C, the other is W+C
so

Ovi + Backstrom can be changed to
Ovi + Kuznetsov

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The OP has almost 20,000 posts and even with all that posting experience/long time member they leave us with this Gem of a thread.
20,000 Gems just like this one. I hear they lose their value when no longer in short supply. Here’s hopin.
Ok. You’re trolling. Took me a minute.
That minute it took should have occurred somewhere earlier in those 20,000 posts.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
You do if you want to win another Cup and set your team up for success in the future.

I'd trade Backstrom and Carlson in a heart beat to open up Cap space.

Glad to see someone made this thread finally.

Caps fans need to let go of their emotional attachment with these two players. It will benefit the Caps future and Ovie.

Why? Both can easily play another 5 years on a top level and Caps are contenders right now. There is no reason to rebuild now.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
He has a playoff run with 30+ pts, 3 50+ assist seasons

Teams usually needs more than one elite center to be competive. Most of the teams winning the cup have had just that. Kuzntsov have never been a replacement for Backström he is part of a very good 1-2 center setup for the Caps. If McMichael had been even more ready you could argue it, but he robably needs a year or two more to be a consistent top 6 player. Hopefully he is ready for top 6 duty when Backström falls of or retires.

Pitsburgh - Crosby-Malkin
Tampa Bay - Stamkos, Point
Chicago - Toews (Only one, but a very solid core with Kane, Keith, Hossa etc.)
Los Angeles - Kopitar, Carter
St Louis - ROR, Schenn (Not elite, but a very good second center)
Boston - Bergeron, Krejci

cleanfront

Aug 5, 2013
2020:
Nikita Kucherov - What is his value? Obviously he might be helping Lightning and morale behind the scenes but on ice the his absence isn't an issue

Reactions: OvechkiddingMe

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Why? Both can easily play another 5 years on a top level and Caps are contenders right now. There is no reason to rebuild now.

My bet is that after this surgery Backstrom is never the same player he once was. He will still produce but not at the level we were use to in the past and honestly he will be very prone to re-injury. Heck this was a re-injury of the same issue. After looking at things from that perspective a Cap hit of 9.2 million can allow us to bring in some younger and very impactful players at trade deadline.

In addition, due to the injury he is going to have to change his style of play because for the rest of the season if anyone lands one good hit on that hip he will be out again and at risk for yet another surgery.

We are doing pretty good with out Backstrom now. I say let him come back for a few games. Make him look like gold and cut bait. The only question is if another team would be dumb enough to actually take him at this point.

Just remember 9.2 mil cap hit a season and the injury he had is already re-injury and extremely prone to re-injury. Don't get me wrong Backstrom was an elite talent but now he will be pretty much made of glass when it comes to contact. Each additional surgery on that hip drastically weakens the tissue, ligaments and muscles.

As far as Carlson there is a much better argument not to trade him. I just think Carlson is over paid and over rated. Put Carlson on any other team with out Ovie talent and he will disappear from the league like Alzner and Green.

I also disagree that the Caps are contenders right now for one reason....Our goal tending situation is a mess. We also simply do not have the speed to be contenders in playoff hockey.

Trading both Carlson and Backstrom would open up 17.5 mil in Cap space and that is before even exploring Hagelin's 2.7 mil.

Capitals lose Backstrom long-term, call up World Juniors star

Nicklas Backstrom

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You do if you want to win another Cup and set your team up for success in the future.

I'd trade Backstrom and Carlson in a heart beat to open up Cap space.

Glad to see someone made this thread finally.

Caps fans need to let go of their emotional attachment with these two players. It will benefit the Caps future and Ovie.

Hi. You would trade last season's leading scorer on the team and the director of what was the #3 pp in the league and you would trade the leading scorer in the league among defenseman over the last 3 plus seasons. He is currently 2pts short of leading now. The Caps are a legit cup contender. In what world do you trade those players for cap space? Oh....sorry. You're joking. I am slow

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Backstrom didn't have surgery.

Ok you are right there, but the hip is being rehabbed as a last resort prior to surgery. I'm not comfortable with that and a 9.2 mil cap hit. I'm not sure how much you know about hip surgery but to re-injure a hip after having the surgery is not a good thing at all. He is one Ryan Reaves cheap hit away from going under the knife again.

but thank you....you are right....I thought he had surgery this off season

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
This is a fantasy thread and if you want to fantasize about what he might be worth, more power to you. Have fun.

Assuming BMac ever came to Leonsis with a trade offer for Backy, Leonsis vetos it. Ovechkin vetos it (yes, I think Ovi gets a vote). And don’t forget about the NMC. Backstrom vetos it.

AZ Caps Fan

Sep 8, 2019
High Desert
Hate to think it but who would trade for him anyway? He was considering surgery 5 or 6 months ago, didn't have it, and he's still not on the ice.

Have to wonder what kind of player he will be if and when he does come back.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
My bet is that after this surgery Backstrom is never the same player he once was. He will still produce but not at the level we were use to in the past and honestly he will be very prone to re-injury. Heck this was a re-injury of the same issue. After looking at things from that perspective a Cap hit of 9.2 million can allow us to bring in some younger and very impactful players at trade deadline.

In addition, due to the injury he is going to have to change his style of play because for the rest of the season if anyone lands one good hit on that hip he will be out again and at risk for yet another surgery.

We are doing pretty good with out Backstrom now. I say let him come back for a few games. Make him look like gold and cut bait. The only question is if another team would be dumb enough to actually take him at this point.

Just remember 9.2 mil cap hit a season and the injury he had is already re-injury and extremely prone to re-injury. Don't get me wrong Backstrom was an elite talent but now he will be pretty much made of glass when it comes to contact. Each additional surgery on that hip drastically weakens the tissue, ligaments and muscles.

As far as Carlson there is a much better argument not to trade him. I just think Carlson is over paid and over rated. Put Carlson on any other team with out Ovie talent and he will disappear from the league like Alzner and Green.

I also disagree that the Caps are contenders right now for one reason....Our goal tending situation is a mess. We also simply do not have the speed to be contenders in playoff hockey.

Trading both Carlson and Backstrom would open up 17.5 mil in Cap space and that is before even exploring Hagelin's 2.7 mil.

Nicklas Backstrom

Bäckström is not the kind of player that relies on speed. His vision i beyond elite and it will make him an elite player for many years to come, much like Thornton. Who needs to skate when one knows beforehand where to be ? :P

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009

Nicklas Backstrom

OK lets say Caps trade them both. In defense Carlson leaves a huge hole to fill. Orlov can step up but defence would be very weak. In my opinion center would be too weak too. We would need similar players back. What do you think Caps would get for them?

I agree that we should trade Hagelin. AJF can replace him. In goal I would also explore trading Samsonov+ for a more experienced goalie.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Yeah! What then?
cut.jpg

Reactions: Filip Karlsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad