TSN: Nick Robertson requests trade from Toronto

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Seems like one of those tweeners. Not really good enough for a contending team’s top 6 but not really big enough for a bottom 6 role.
Maybe a rebuilding team would be interested?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Wonder if the Leafs can find a "change of scenery" trade for him that brings somebody else who might be able to make a meaningful contribution.

A guy like Cody Glass in Nashville or Morgan Frost in Philly.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
What would his value be in a trade in terms of just picks?
I’d say a 2nd. I think he’s worth the gamble. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up being a 30 goal scorer somewhere else. Lots of talent and hustle, nasty shot. Tries to play big and he's overly reckless so he’s injury prone. If he was 6’3 220 and a lot stronger he’d be a top liner

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
He's the prime example of hanging on too long. The Leafs have several players like this who they should (or already should have) decide whether he's on their team or should be used as trade bait.

Hirovonen and Niemela are the other obvious ones, with Voit also a decision in the near future.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I’d say a 2nd. I think he’s worth the gamble. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up being a 30 goal scorer somewhere else. Lots of talent and hustle, nasty shot. Tries to play big and he's overly reckless so he’s injury prone. If he was 6’3 220 and a lot stronger he’d be a top liner

16 ES goals in his first 87 NHL games, broken up over three seasons. Given the right consistent opportunity, I have no trouble picturing him breaking out for 25-30 goals.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Wonder if the Leafs can find a "change of scenery" trade for him that brings somebody else who might be able to make a meaningful contribution.

A guy like Cody Glass in Nashville or Morgan Frost in Philly.

Do you honestly believe the Flyers would trade Morgan Frost for Nick Robertson?

You can't be serious. There is absolutely zero chance of that.

Canadiens offer Canucks 3rd?

Please no.

He's way too soft. The Canadiens don't need any more under-sized forwards, especially not one as soft as Robertson.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Do you honestly believe the Flyers would trade Morgan Frost for Nick Robertson?

He can't be serious. There is absolutely zero chance of that.

Please no.

He's way too soft. The Canadiens don't need any more under-sized forwards, especially not one as soft as Robertson.

Maybe not... but I don't think it's completely outlandish. Flyers are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

Frost has completed 2 1/2 seasons in the league plus a little bit of action before that. He's become a ~45 point player in that time. Robertson is 2 1/2 years younger, and just put up 14 goals in 56 games despite highly limited minutes and role.

You could make the case that Robertson is a potential 30/30 guy with the right role and a consistent injection of confidence, wherea Frost likely to be more of 20/30 guy.

Poehling would be another interesting target from Philly.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This was my thought as well. Lots of opportunity to step up and play a bigger role for a team which is making some major changes and he poison's the well.

While the new coach and departure of Tyler Bertuzzi does open up roles, the challenge is, it doesn't really open up a role for Robertson.

Obviously we don't know how Berube is going to coach this team, but it still seems likely that he views both Marner & Nylander on separate lines; and neither of which would be an ideal fit with Robertson on the left side.... so he's still going to be "stuck" into that middle-of-the-lineup abyss where he's not neccessarily a 3rd line checking forward, but stuck there because of what the Leafs have on their top 2 lines.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The perfect spot for Robertson is a rebuilding team where he can easily pot 20-25 goals. Going home to the sharks is the most likely outcome.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
While the new coach and departure of Tyler Bertuzzi does open up roles, the challenge is, it doesn't really open up a role for Robertson.

Obviously we don't know how Berube is going to coach this team, but it still seems likely that he views both Marner & Nylander on separate lines; and neither of which would be an ideal fit with Robertson on the left side.... so he's still going to be "stuck" into that middle-of-the-lineup abyss where he's not neccessarily a 3rd line checking forward, but stuck there because of what the Leafs have on their top 2 lines.
While true - I don't think that with what Robertson has shown so far that another organization would be lining up to give him a better opportunity on a scoring line. Very often a young player has to grind through it and earn that opportunity, and this seems to be one of those cases.

Honestly seems like there is something going on behind the scenes, because don't know NR would take this approach otherwise.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
He's the prime example of hanging on too long. The Leafs have several players like this who they should (or already should have) decide whether he's on their team or should be used as trade bait.

Hirovonen and Niemela are the other obvious ones, with Voit also a decision in the near future.
Hirvonen and Niemela are 22 and have each played one season in North America. Voit turned 21 less than a month ago.

These are definitely not examples of players the Leafs have been hanging onto for too long.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Robertson has better numbers than Holtz and is the same age, and people think Holtz has value.

I don't want to trade Robertson, would like to find a spot for him, he is putting up decent numbers playing 3rd line with 4th line minutes.

36th at 5v5 P/60 tied with Rantanen, Hagel, and Sprong.

He's playing 11:23 a night.

In no way am I saying he is on those players' level, just that it'd be nice to see what the Leafs have and give him some better linemates and more ice time.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

No, I think we're good there. Niemela's development is right on schedule. He's 22. Had a very good full AHL season. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his cup of coffee this season.

Look how Detroit is handling Simon Edvindsson whose a 1/6. He's coming off his second season in the AHL, had 9 and 16 games in the NHL in successive seasons. He's a year younger than Niemela, but he's also 6'6" and 210lbs.

Interestingly, Niemela looks like he produces at about the same clip.

This to say, I think we've got something in Niemela. By the 2025-2026 season, if he hasn't been moved for a premium asset, I'd say he's in the lineup, forecasting reasonable projections for positional and budgetary needs.

Rebel247

Mar 19, 2022
Maybe not... but I don't think it's completely outlandish. Flyers are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

Frost has completed 2 1/2 seasons in the league plus a little bit of action before that. He's become a ~45 point player in that time. Robertson is 2 1/2 years younger, and just put up 14 goals in 56 games despite highly limited minutes and role.

You could make the case that Robertson is a potential 30/30 guy with the right role and a consistent injection of confidence, wherea Frost likely to be more of 20/30 guy.

Poehling would be another interesting target from Philly.
Maybe Bobby Brink. Flyers need centers so moving Frost without one coming back would be tough

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Hirvonen and Niemela are 22 and have each played one season in North America. Voit turned 21 less than a month ago.

These are definitely not examples of players the Leafs have been hanging onto for too long.

There are plenty of players from their draft classes who are already contributing to the NHL teams and the Leafs, with their cap strategy, need players to step up and contribute on cheap contracts. They need to be involved soon or the team need to move them for players that will be involved now. Keep waiting and Nylander and Matthews will will be close to 30 and nothing to show for it.

Hirvonen was taken 59th in 2020. 58th was Mason Lohrei, 60th was Will Cuylle. Both are contributing.

Niemela was 64th, Daemon Hunt, Lukas Cormier, Jean-Luc Foudy, Alex Laferriere and Wyatt Kaiser were all taken after him in the same round and have played NHL games.

Either get them games or trade them before they become another Robertson.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
No, I think we're good there. Niemela's development is right on schedule. He's 22. Had a very good full AHL season. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his cup of coffee this season.

Look how Detroit is handling Simon Edvindsson whose a 1/6. He's coming off his second season in the AHL, had 9 and 16 games in the NHL in successive seasons. He's a year younger than Niemela, but he's also 6'6" and 210lbs.

Interestingly, Niemela looks like he produces at about the same clip.

This to say, I think we've got something in Niemela. By the 2025-2026 season, if he hasn't been moved for a premium asset, I'd say he's in the lineup, forecasting reasonable projections for positional and budgetary needs.

If he is good enough, play him. Give him games now and stop wasting valuable cap space on more Dmen. The teams that have won the cup recently have been willing to take chances (Vegas and Florida both did with picks and players). Stop thinking about 2025 and try to win before your stars are on the downhill part of their careers.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
There are plenty of players from their draft classes who are already contributing to the NHL teams and the Leafs, with their cap strategy, need players to step up and contribute on cheap contracts. They need to be involved soon or the team need to move them for players that will be involved now. Keep waiting and Nylander and Matthews will will be close to 30 and nothing to show for it.

Hirvonen was taken 59th in 2020. 58th was Mason Lohrei, 60th was Will Cuylle. Both are contributing.

Niemela was 64th, Daemon Hunt, Lukas Cormier, Jean-Luc Foudy, Alex Laferriere and Wyatt Kaiser were all taken after him in the same round and have played NHL games.

trade them for what. The Leafs don't have cap space. A late draft pick I guess? I doubt many teams are going to be excited about the prospect of acquiring Hirvonen, who isn't even top 10 in the Leafs relatively unimpressive prospect pool.

Look at the 2021 draft. Matthew Knies is already an established player while many around him are not. That's kind of how 2nd round picks go, you will hit some years and miss on others. And it's not a videogame where teams are going to care enough about your disappointing prospects to cough up value.

Niemela may get games this year when there are injuries but no team trying to win a Cup is going to gift him a lineup spot with what he's shown so far.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Last year, the Leafs had cheap guys (McMann, Benoit, Holmberg) step in successfully when needed without having to force players they don't think are ready. Those guys were all 24+.

I don't know how Hirvonen and Niemela will work out in the end, but regularly giving up on players because they're not ready at 21/22 is a terrible strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad