Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs should work on a package that sends Robertson to Winnipeg for Rutger McGroarty.

The Leafs should make a play to pry Rutger McGroarty out of Winnipeg

News broke last week that Jets 2022 first-round pick Rutger McGroarty was seeking a trade, with most assuming that a deal could come across the finish line as soon as a few days ago so Winnipeg could recoup a first-rounder in this year’s draft. It hasn’t happened yet, but there’s still a strong chance he could be moved as the first round kicks off in less than an hour.

McGroarty, 20, was one of the best players in college hockey this season. Suiting up in his sophomore campaign at the University of Michigan, he finished top ten in NCAA-wide scoring with 52 points (16 goals, 36 assists) in 36 games. He was a nominee for the Hobey Baker Award for the top player in collegiate hockey and captained the United States to a gold medal at the 2024 World Juniors, scoring five goals and four assists in seven games.

“I feel like I could definitely add that leadership ability,” McGroarty explained. “I could come in and bring that compete and energy. Being a kid that’s always been a Toronto fan, I’ve always been a big fan of them. And I got a lot of friends up there so I feel like I’d be comfortable in the Toronto area.”

Typically, a player growing up a Leafs fan is a fun little tidbit for fans and nothing more, but in this case, where McGroarty could potentially have a say in where he ends up, it might work in Toronto’s favour.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I think Robertson wants out not only because of last year, but more importantly because of what is coming in the pipeline.

Cowan will pass Robertson, and then you got Grebs who is a wild card but then can play up and down the lineup because of skillset.

It is also hard to find a spot for him because there is no line with a pass first two way C, which is the correct C for him.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
The Argos at least were favourites to win last year until Kelly had his worst game since he was sentenced to Scooba. Leafs and Jays go into camp with no chance of winning.
I think the point being made with the article is about the big 3 sports. The Argos don't factor in here for obvious reasons, one of the biggest being they don't generate money for ownership.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs should work on a package that sends Robertson to Winnipeg for Rutger McGroarty.

The Leafs should make a play to pry Rutger McGroarty out of Winnipeg

News broke last week that Jets 2022 first-round pick Rutger McGroarty was seeking a trade, with most assuming that a deal could come across the finish line as soon as a few days ago so Winnipeg could recoup a first-rounder in this year’s draft. It hasn’t happened yet, but there’s still a strong chance he could be moved as the first round kicks off in less than an hour.

McGroarty, 20, was one of the best players in college hockey this season. Suiting up in his sophomore campaign at the University of Michigan, he finished top ten in NCAA-wide scoring with 52 points (16 goals, 36 assists) in 36 games. He was a nominee for the Hobey Baker Award for the top player in collegiate hockey and captained the United States to a gold medal at the 2024 World Juniors, scoring five goals and four assists in seven games.

Typically, a player growing up a Leafs fan is a fun little tidbit for fans and nothing more, but in this case, where McGroarty could potentially have a say in where he ends up, it might work in Toronto’s favour.

The Wild were willing to give up the #12 pick for him, if the Jets turned that down I don't think Robertson would cut it unless the Leafs added Cowan too

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think the point being made with the article is about the big 3 sports. The Argos don't factor in here for obvious reasons, one of the biggest being they don't generate money for ownership.
Only in Ontario is football not considered one of the big three. Should remove hockey and add soccer.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Wild were willing to give up the #12 pick for him, if the Jets turned that down I don't think Robertson would cut it unless the Leafs added Cowan too

I wouldn't part with either Knies nor Cowan but...

I was thinking adding Liljegren to the deal or perhaps Fraser Minten could be worked in also with maybe some draft pick compensation equalizer to balance the exchange.

But Robertson and McGroarty are both young RFAs that have asked for trades, so its the basis for a discussion anyways for both teams to solve their problems.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
This organization continues to be so incredible at drafting and developing prospects.
Lol. His injuries aren't managements fault. He has no real leverage. Why trade a potential 20 goal plus guy unless the return is there? Traveling can do nothing and win. Time for Robertson to realize Keefe is gone.

I wouldn't part with either Knies nor Cowan but...

I was thinking adding Liljegren to the deal or perhaps Fraser Minten could be worked in also with maybe some draft pick compensation equalizer to balance the exchange.

But Robertson and McGroarty are both young RFAs that have asked for trades, so its the basis for a discussion anyways for both teams to solve their problems.
Based on how you guys talk about McGroaty the ask will be Robertson plus Minten.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
He got scratched for Noah Gregor in Game 7 and the Leafs didn’t even qualify Gregor , that had to have been his breaking point.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Well McGroaty could be a part of a much bigger deal that sends Marner to the Jets and Kyle Connor to the Leafs. :wg:

Mitch Marner + Nicki Bobby + Timothy Liljegren for Kyle Connor + Rutger McGroarty + Logan Stanley

Who is with me ??
There is no way Marner is going to greenlight a Winnipeg deal nor can they pay him.

There is no way Marner is going to greenlight a Winnipeg deal nor can they pay him.
The Leafs do need a number 2/3 Centreman but his skating could hold him to 3/4 slot. It's a gamble.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So I posted this in another thread but Jonas Segal said on Overdrive last week that this isn’t about playing time. It’s about how he was treated as a player by Leafs development staff. Robertson feels like he has no clear direction from the staff. When he asks for a path forward and how he can improve he’s never given a straight answer. Then we he finally gets an answer and goes out and works on it, he’s told he’s not good enough or not doing that thing good enough. He feels like he’s been toyed with by the development staff and feels in limbo.

If this is true, you can see how that may have negatively affected his mental health.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Get what you can I guess. He holds a little value in that he scored nearly every time he came back in the lineup. Has an impressive junior record.

I find it odd that most departing players or at least the feedback in general is the leafs pour money into development and get mostly rave reviews. This is the rare occasion I’ve heard a complaint about them.

If he doesn’t sign, he will probably hold out. He doesn’t have arbitration rights. It’ll probably get ugly so we might, at best get a situation where they find a Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale kind of deal out there.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Get what you can I guess. He holds a little value in that he scored nearly every time he came back in the lineup. Has an impressive junior record.

I find it odd that most departing players or at least the feedback in general is the leafs pour money into development and get mostly rave reviews. This is the rare occasion I’ve heard a complaint about them.

If he doesn’t sign, he will probably hold out. He doesn’t have arbitration rights. It’ll probably get ugly so we might, at best get a situation where they find a Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale kind of deal out there.

You can tell he’s been at odds with the hockey development staff. I’ve never really heard Hailey Wickenheiser say anything overly positive about him. Even Sheldon Keefe, Robertson would score some goals and flashes and keefe was always hard on him in press conferences. Sometimes the org and the player are just not a fit.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica

Don't think we can get a prospect/young player of that ilk for him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
So I posted this in another thread but Jonas Segal said on Overdrive last week that this isn’t about playing time. It’s about how he was treated as a player by Leafs development staff. Robertson feels like he has no clear direction from the staff. When he asks for a path forward and how he can improve he’s never given a straight answer. Then we he finally gets an answer and goes out and works on it, he’s told he’s not good enough or not doing that thing good enough. He feels like he’s been toyed with by the development staff and feels in limbo.

If this is true, you can see how that may have negatively affected his mental health.

Well if the source is Segal it’s probably a half truth at best.

It's highly improbable the organization hasn’t set out a clear development path for him. He seems like a kid that has maybe not accepted criticism well, and maybe doesn’t agree with what the organization thinks are shortcomings in his game at the moment. Or maybe he’s worked on something and thinks it’s ready and the club doesn’t agree he’s done working at it.

There are at least nuggets we’ve seen that could point to the potential of an attitude issue.

Who knows though. He was certainly jerked around by Keefe a bit this season, but I guess the question is if there were other issues, what came first?

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He got scratched for Noah Gregor in Game 7 and the Leafs didn’t even qualify Gregor , that had to have been his breaking point.

To be fair, Robertson played all 6 other games vs Boston and had no real impact whatsoever (~10 mins per)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What do they even have that would be of interest to us? They aren't exactly rolling in available forwards either

If they Flames are out of it at the deadline maybe something can be built around Robertson and Kuzmenko.

But honestly I think It's likely Robertson does sign because he has no leverage

Reactions: Kiwi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad