Nick Foligno named captain

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I probably didn't word that right. Nick and Joe seems like really, really nice guys. Nick obviously plays a heavier game, but I think a captain should be a guy that has no problem being an a-hole and i am not sure if Nick has that in him. Not saying he always has to be salty, but I think a guy like Dubi has more of a "follow me!" type personality.

But I think it's picking nits. Pretty sure Dubi and Nick will at the least both be "A"'s.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I probably didn't word that right. Nick and Joe seems like really, really nice guys. Nick obviously plays a heavier game, but I think a captain should be a guy that has no problem being an a-hole and i am not sure if Nick has that in him. Not saying he always has to be salty, but I think a guy like Dubi has more of a "follow me!" type personality.

But I think it's picking nits. Pretty sure Dubi and Nick will at the least both be "A"'s.

Thornton 100% has the ability to be an ******* :laugh:, he probably is a great guy but hes never had a problem saying that he doesnt like something. We aren't really sure what Foligno is like behind closed doors, hes a more approachable guy and doesn't let everything out to the media like Dubi does. Depends on what the players like but judging Jarmo's comments on how someone has stepped up and Foligno has been healthy and had a great season it almost seems like that who hes thinking, obviously could be wrrong though

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH

Isn't the issue with the Sharks dressing room that they don't have a C, or any A's who are willing to bark?

This isn't a problem for Dubinsky, who can't stop barking.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
Foligno
- Demonstrated leadership in the ALG
- Has a good off ice persona
- Watching him play with Dubi makes me believe Dubi accepts him as a leader and Dubi is the bellwether for compete level.
- Hartnell said earlier in the year when he came here he was apprehensive, Foligno is the guy that stepped up and made him feel welcomed and did the hat thing at his 1000's game. Those are the actions of a leader.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Isn't the issue with the Sharks dressing room that they don't have a C, or any A's who are willing to bark?

This isn't a problem for Dubinsky, who can't stop barking.

Joe was the Captain and he is not a barker. Apparently he is the kinda guy that used a cutting sense of humor and that wasn't really well received.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
How would I do it....

Rotate captain month-to-month. They've gone three seasons without one, and have a firmly entrenched leadership core. But it can go sour pretty quickly if the locker room starts dividing into factions based on choice of captain.

So set it up initially like so: captain serves for one calendar month (1st of the month to the last day). No player can serve more than one month out of every four, which would allow for a minimum of three and a maximum of seven. For the playoffs, anyone can be picked.

October is determined by a vote of the longest-serving players (Boll, Tyutin, Atkinson, Calvert, Savard, Johnson). November through the end of the season are open to voting of the entire locker room.

Several players have worn the A previously, but being "the guy" is an entirely different story. If nothing else, this might allow for a good chance to see who steps up and who doesn't, while also minimizing the risk of there being any type of split in the room.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
How would I do it....

Rotate captain month-to-month. They've gone three seasons without one, and have a firmly entrenched leadership core. But it can go sour pretty quickly if the locker room starts dividing into factions based on choice of captain.

So set it up initially like so: captain serves for one calendar month (1st of the month to the last day). No player can serve more than one month out of every four, which would allow for a minimum of three and a maximum of seven. For the playoffs, anyone can be picked.

October is determined by a vote of the longest-serving players (Boll, Tyutin, Atkinson, Calvert, Savard, Johnson). November through the end of the season are open to voting of the entire locker room.

Several players have worn the A previously, but being "the guy" is an entirely different story. If nothing else, this might allow for a good chance to see who steps up and who doesn't, while also minimizing the risk of there being any type of split in the room.

They've had three years to see who stepped up. I never liked the idea of alternating captains (or alternates for that matter) because I think it deflects responsibility and causes more confusion than it does anything positive which would outweigh the negatives.

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
How would I do it....

So do the kind of crap the Wild used to? No thanks. Might as well just keep rotating the A.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
So it looks like the fans are split between Foligno and Dubinsky. Would you guys be willing to have 2 captains(like how the Sabres did it a couple of years ago)? Dubinsky on the road and Foligno at home? Or just like rotating C's once a month, to lame?

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
So it looks like the fans are split between Foligno and Dubinsky. Would you guys be willing to have 2 captains(like how the Sabres did it a couple of years ago)? Dubinsky on the road and Foligno at home? Or just like rotating C's once a month, to lame?

No. I don't like the idea, but it really doesn't matter what I think -- they made all this fuss about waiting until the choice is "obvious," so I don't see any kind of rotation as a plausible reality.

HillbillyJacketsFan

Sep 9, 2009
Kentucky
Whoever it is, I just hope it doesn't create a rift in the dressing room. I voted for Foligno, but I have serious concenrns about a regression in his production. Hopefully this year wasn't a fluke.

Jenner is the worst choice. I won't be surprised to see him as a captain in the future, but he just hasn't earned it at this point. I remember him being lauded as "future captain" on his draft day, for crying out loud. He seemed so hyped when he was drafted (our first pick that year, which probably contributed) that I've never understood why he wasn't picked earlier. Solid player, and I'm glad we've got him, but he'll need to wait for the next vacancy.

Foligno, Dubinsky, or Hartnell would be pretty good picks. Honestly, I wish they'd put it to a player vote.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Overhyped ? How do u come to that conclusion ? 16 goals as a rookie . Plays on our top line as a 22 year old . Team was 11-0-1 when him and Dubinsky played together this season

Jenner isn't a legit first liner. No way should he be on it. Handles the puck like it's a live grenade a lot of the time. Johansen should have either Hartnell or Foligno along with Atkinson- and even Atkinson isn't a first liner.

Does anybody really believe that a 22 year old with 103 career NHL games and 46 points is going to be named Captain of the CBJ?

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I voted for Jack Johnson. The guy plays huge minutes, doesn't miss many games, said all the right things when traded from the Kings to Cbus, is a vet but still has many good years left, and seems to have an even keel.

I know that some people think he's too mellow in interviews, but I really think he's someone that can lead by example. I do wonder how the bankruptcy might impact him from an emotional standpoint (to date, I don't think it's impacted his on-ice performance).

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I voted for Jack Johnson. The guy plays huge minutes, doesn't miss many games, said all the right things when traded from the Kings to Cbus, is a vet but still has many good years left, and seems to have an even keel.

I know that some people think he's too mellow in interviews, but I really think he's someone that can lead by example. I do wonder how the bankruptcy might impact him from an emotional standpoint (to date, I don't think it's impacted his on-ice performance).

hqdefault.jpg

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
From The Cannon blog:

The argument for Nicky as captain:

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2015/4/13/8407383/the-case-for-nick-folignos-captaincy

I think this point is worthy of consideration when searching for reasons for his emergence as a significant contributor:

The tipping point for him, perhaps, was the birth of his daughter Milana. She was born during the 2013-14 season, and within three weeks of her birth required emergency, experimental heart surgery because of a congenital heart defect. Foligno became, in short order, both a father and the parent of a sick child, and perhaps his career priorities changed. Stability became more paramount than ever; a third-line winger with average production is expendable. He is a piece that can be moved easily, and is moved often. A producer--and a leader--is not so easily replaced.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Team is finally ready for a Capain. I will not vote but my choices for C and A is Foligno, Dubinsky and Johnson.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Jared Boll, Fedor Tyutin, and Ryan Johansen probably didn't even warrant being choices. Ditto Ryan Murray and that "Other" guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad