Denver Post: Nichushkin involved in incident that prompted police/medical response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Healthy isn’t really the best comparable… dude got 2nd degree vehicular homicide and was on probation. Which the vast majority of the time requires you to be clean from alcohol and drugs… and get tested regularly. I’d bet given the situation there was alcohol counseling too. He went through a much stricter program than rehab is.

1000% guarantee Heatley at the very least went to some form of Alcohol Awareness education and/or a MADD meeting. I had to do both when I got busted for DWI over 20 years ago and there was no accident involved.

This is just speculation at this point but if indeed the Avs are demanding he enter himself into player assistance then there might be a pattern of behavior prior, of which this is the culmination. Again, I have nothing to base that on but I can't imagine the Avs would ask a guy to willingly enter a rehabilitation program if this was just a one-time thing.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
1000% guarantee Heatley at the very least went to some form of Alcohol Awareness education and/or a MADD meeting. I had to do both when I got busted for DWI over 20 years ago and there was no accident involved.

This is just speculation at this point but if indeed the Avs are demanding he enter himself into player assistance then there might be a pattern of behavior prior, of which this is the culmination. Again, I have nothing to base that on but I can't imagine the Avs would ask a guy to willingly enter a rehabilitation program if this was just a one-time thing.
Galchenyuk won't allow it.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Literally curious.

Has there ever been a time where an important player on a playoff team, in the playoffs, just randomly disappear from the team without explanation?

Not sure on actual occurrences, but it has to be extremely rare, which is why it warrants discussion.

Looks like the Avs have done a brilliant job of burying this though, or the reporters in the area aren’t pushing hard enough.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Isn't it interesting that Nuke was fine before and didn't have a massive heroin/crack addiction UNTIL we brought the aforementioned Galchenyuk into the organization ?

I think the rest is obvious - Galchenyuk said to Nuke "try this, you'll feel better. The first one is FREE".

Also - Galchenyuk is the hooker's pimp - he set them up in Seattle.
That makes a lot of sense, because Galchenyuk was trying to get back into the NHL and obviously thought he would be called up if Nuke were suddenly disappeared by the Avs.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
People need to understand that there are options other than entering the NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance Program.

That's a very formal and... condemning step to take.

Teams work regularly with players in various other capacities, leveraging experts and facilities, outside of the PAP. That is usually a last resort measure with most of the team's reasoning being to cover their ass and get out of contractual obligations. Teams need to be willing to take that step; some are not.

I said 3 weeks ago that I hope he listens to the right people around him. You have to be willing to acknowledge a problem, listen, and take steps to get better. Applies for anybody from a professional athlete to a construction worker.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You have to be willing to acknowledge a problem
That's the thing that bothers me. He got caught red handed during a playoff run and was basically forced into rehab by the circumstances or by the people surrounding the team.

It's not like he went there by himself during the offseason or something.

Heck, if there was no woman and he just walked from the playoffs to go to rehab I'd respect that too.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't know if Nuke has a problem with drugs or not, but they sure have a problem with him. They caused him to be removed from the playoffs.

That being said, nobody can get help until the want it. Like RIAL said, you have to be willing to acknowledge a problem. As for radio silence from the Avs, let's say Nuke did go to rehab but didn't want it public knowledge. I don't think the Avs, legally, could say anything or comment in any way other than to say it's a personal leave of absence.

I hope, like most everyone else, that Nuke is taking care of himself right now and putting his own house in order. Between having to repair relationships from being removed from the team during the playoffs, fixing the fallout at home from being publicly outed with a hooker and narcotics, and getting whatever has been bothering him healed properly he's going to have a busy summer. I do honestly wish him the best, even if he doesn't play another game.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I mean this will come out eventually. It's not like Nuke is just going to show up to training camp next year and act like nothing happened.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
That makes a lot of sense, because Galchenyuk was trying to get back into the NHL and obviously thought he would be called up if Nuke were suddenly disappeared by the Avs.
The pieces of the puzzle are all falling into place.

The Avs should have known better though when Galchenyuk came in dressed like this to sign his contract :

1683829616084.png

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
I mean this will come out eventually. It's not like Nuke is just going to show up to training camp next year and act like nothing happened.
My respect for the man would go through the roof if he did. Just turn up completely fine, make no acknowledgement of what happened and remain PPG for the whole contract.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Avs FO was probably thrilled to be eliminated so they could ignore this.. conspiracy, did CMac know this would happen so he tanked the deadline?

They likely had no idea this was going to happen. More plausible that the injury situation prompted them to go light at the deadline, as well as a severe lack of resources to begin with. Sure some options were explored but with Landeskog likely not ready and Makar and a whole host of others clearly not at 100%, they said no to another all-in year. Whether that was a mistake or not, I don't know, guess now with the Nuke situation in addition, that turned out to be the prudent move in hindsight.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know if Nuke has a problem with drugs or not, but they sure have a problem with him. They caused him to be removed from the playoffs.

That being said, nobody can get help until the want it. Like RIAL said, you have to be willing to acknowledge a problem. As for radio silence from the Avs, let's say Nuke did go to rehab but didn't want it public knowledge. I don't think the Avs, legally, could say anything or comment in any way other than to say it's a personal leave of absence.

I hope, like most everyone else, that Nuke is taking care of himself right now and putting his own house in order. Between having to repair relationships from being removed from the team during the playoffs, fixing the fallout at home from being publicly outed with a hooker and narcotics, and getting whatever has been bothering him healed properly he's going to have a busy summer. I do honestly wish him the best, even if he doesn't play another game.

To 100% clear this up. The Avs can release this information. They are completely allowed to do so at any point. This is negotiated in the CBA:

For public relations purposes a Club, the League, and/or the NHLPA may disclose the following information: (A) for injuries sustained during the course of a Player's employment as a hockey Player with the Club, including, but not limited to, travel with his team or on business requested by the Club: (I) the nature of a Player's injury, (II) the prognosis and the anticipated length of recovery from the injury, and (III) the treatment and surgical procedures undertaken or anticipated in regard to the injury; and (B) for any other medical and/or health condition that prevents a Player from rendering services to his Club: (I) the fact that a medical and/or 179 ARTICLE 34 34.3-34.3 health condition is preventing the Player from rendering services to the Club, and (II) the anticipated length of the Player's absence from the Club.

Now that does not mean the Avs have to release the information, but there is nothing legally stopping them from saying he went to rehab and is out indefinitely. Any reason a player cannot perform (medical, health, personal, bad sushi, etc) for the club is available for the team to comment on. They don't have to, but if a player cannot play, the team has the legal right to speak on it. This is explicitly carved out in the CBA. There are 3 pages of wording on handling medical information. There are pages on the whole PR aspect of this. The Avs have every right to comment on this, they are choosing not to do so.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Vrana isn't an Av. When it is an Av, on an Avs' forum it will generally have more discussion. We've also bantered around many other players in this regard. My point is more that we are very willing to frown upon speculating on our guy, but when it comes to other players... it is complete fair game. That's a double standard that doesn't make sense.

Closing in on 1000 posts on a topic we know almost nothing about, doesn't suggest there's a problem with speculating on Avalanche players.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
To 100% clear this up. The Avs can release this information. They are completely allowed to do so at any point. This is negotiated in the CBA:

For public relations purposes a Club, the League, and/or the NHLPA may disclose the following information: (A) for injuries sustained during the course of a Player's employment as a hockey Player with the Club, including, but not limited to, travel with his team or on business requested by the Club: (I) the nature of a Player's injury, (II) the prognosis and the anticipated length of recovery from the injury, and (III) the treatment and surgical procedures undertaken or anticipated in regard to the injury; and (B) for any other medical and/or health condition that prevents a Player from rendering services to his Club: (I) the fact that a medical and/or 179 ARTICLE 34 34.3-34.3 health condition is preventing the Player from rendering services to the Club, and (II) the anticipated length of the Player's absence from the Club.

Now that does not mean the Avs have to release the information, but there is nothing legally stopping them from saying he went to rehab and is out indefinitely. Any reason a player cannot perform (medical, health, personal, bad sushi, etc) for the club is available for the team to comment on. They don't have to, but if a player cannot play, the team has the legal right to speak on it. This is explicitly carved out in the CBA. There are 3 pages of wording on handling medical information. There are pages on the whole PR aspect of this. The Avs have every right to comment on this, they are choosing not to do so.
Really appreciate the clarification henchy!

I was giving the team a lot more leeway on that because of my rudimentary knowledge of HIPPA laws.

Reactions: henchman21

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Really appreciate the clarification henchy!

I was giving the team a lot more leeway on that because of my rudimentary knowledge of HIPPA laws.

*ahem* it's "HIPAA" not "HIPPA". :teach2: Health Information Portability and Accountability Act.

Just FYI it's not an absolute law either, there's a lot of gray area that gives providers and third-party entities a lot of leeway when it comes to the disclosure of PHI, most of it just falls under common sense, and it's easily overridden by other laws, like, say, a subpoena and what not.

Reactions: Avs91

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
*ahem* it's "HIPAA" not "HIPPA". :teach2: Health Information Portability and Accountability Act.

Just FYI it's not an absolute law either, there's a lot of gray area that gives providers and third-party entities a lot of leeway when it comes to the disclosure of PHI, most of it just falls under common sense, and it's easily overridden by other laws, like, say, a subpoena and what not.
Did you see the video of the 'karen' screaming at someone at a marina for recording her and 'violating their HIPAA law'? :laugh:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Poke. Can't even chalk that up to neuropathy, I flat out thought it was Health Information Privacy Protection Act. As you can tell, and are probably thankful for, I don't work in the medical field. I am semi-well versed in the Education version, FERPA (Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act). I wrongly somehow assumed that HIPAA would actually be more conservative/restrictive. Sounds like they are more similar than I realized.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Thanks Poke. Can't even chalk that up to neuropathy, I flat out thought it was Health Information Privacy Protection Act. As you can tell, and are probably thankful for, I don't work in the medical field. I am semi-well versed in the Education version, FERPA (Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act). I wrongly somehow assumed that HIPAA would actually be more conservative/restrictive. Sounds like they are more similar than I realized.

S'all good, you'd be somewhat surprised how many in the healthcare field get it wrong. I got an offer for classes on it and the ad came over with it misspelled, definitely did not take them up on it.

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The DNVR guys said they heard Nuke would've been back in the 2nd round had the Avs won game 7.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
My prediction is sometime in camp someone will ask what happened or how is he doing. He's going to say "You know I had a difficult times but now good" and smile and that's it. Then y'all can go 30 pages deep yet again on what that means.

There just won't be a good enough answer is probably close to the truth.

Reactions: Azrael89

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The DNVR guys said they heard Nuke would've been back in the 2nd round had the Avs won game 7.
Is that new informations? They said that recently?

Meghan used to dig into this story but not a word since the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad