Denver Post: Nichushkin involved in incident that prompted police/medical response

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't personally care about the details of what happened in the room or the issues that Nuke has on a personal level. On Nuke's personal side, I just hope he gets help. I care about the impact on the team that happened this year and moving forward. I personally don't think Nuke was the difference in winning and losing the playoff series, but his absence certainly had an impact. If he's got addiction issues, then he needs to get help and hopefully he can get on the other side clean. If those addiction issues stemmed from the medical staff giving opioids out like candy or botched medical treatment... that needs to be addressed. If he has sexual assault or violence issues (and FTR zero indication that is the case here), I'd prefer him not on the team as it would be a matter of time before an incident happened. If he has addiction issues and he refuses to get help at the team's detriment... I'd also prefer him not on the team. It simply impacts a core player on the team to a pretty high degree, which impacts the team to a pretty high degree. That is the top concern for me as a fan. What impact does this have on the Avs? What issues did the Avs cause? What are they doing about it?

We had pages and pages of debate on Vrana and many here stated they wouldn't want nor would the Avs want a player with those issues. Turns out the Avs probably have a player with those issues. Said player is about to enter the 2nd year of an 8 year deal.

For those saying they want to keep it as quiet as possible and we shouldn't know any details... that's the same thought process that Chicago took with the Beech situation. We don't know the depth and gravity of this... odds are it doesn't hit that level, but there is evidence this isn't the cleanest of situations.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I don't personally care about the details of what happened in the room or the issues that Nuke has on a personal level. On Nuke's personal side, I just hope he gets help. I care about the impact on the team that happened this year and moving forward. I personally don't think Nuke was the difference in winning and losing the playoff series, but his absence certainly had an impact. If he's got addiction issues, then he needs to get help and hopefully he can get on the other side clean. If those addiction issues stemmed from the medical staff giving opioids out like candy or botched medical treatment... that needs to be addressed. If he has sexual assault or violence issues (and FTR zero indication that is the case here), I'd prefer him not on the team as it would be a matter of time before an incident happened. If he has addiction issues and he refuses to get help at the team's detriment... I'd also prefer him not on the team. It simply impacts a core player on the team to a pretty high degree, which impacts the team to a pretty high degree. That is the top concern for me as a fan. What impact does this have on the Avs? What issues did the Avs cause? What are they doing about it?

We had pages and pages of debate on Vrana and many here stated they wouldn't want nor would the Avs want a player with those issues. Turns out the Avs probably have a player with those issues. Said player is about to enter the 2nd year of an 8 year deal.

For those saying they want to keep it as quiet as possible and we shouldn't know any details... that's the same thought process that Chicago took with the Beech situation. We don't know the depth and gravity of this... odds are it doesn't hit that level, but there is evidence this isn't the cleanest of situations.
If the Avs win the lottery after it leaks out then that’s a win.

Honestly I hope if it distracts the team at all Nuke is gone. I’m also a little concerned as a fan of a possible cover up by the Avs here.

Reactions: Azrael89

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
With the latest news on Landy I bet the Avs do everything they can to have Nuke in the lineup next season.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Let's not forget one thing: If Nuke doesn't leave the team no one knows that the prostitute was in his room or anything about this story at all. Including his wife.

He could have skipped game 3, the team would have said LBI (or illness) and no one would have questioned anything.

He left the team in the middle of the playoffs for a damn good reason.

I think the issue was more how messed uk the woman was. They would have ubered her home if they could have, but she was so intoxicated they had to call 911. As far as I can tell, that’s what blew the coverup and that’s why he had to leave.

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Well what did he say?
Basically said between the lines at least the way I took it that there is no timeline for his return. Anytime after that that he wasn't asked about Nuke, which several people tried, he said that "they can't say anything more than they have on the Nuke situation".

Edit: To add further to this. I know others have mentioned it and I hadn't been totally on board with taking it that far yet. But this is pretty much exactly how they handled the Wilson situation. The only difference is there wasn't a police report that put it in the news.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Basically said between the lines at least the way I took it that there is no timeline for his return. Anytime after that that he wasn't asked about Nuke, which several people tried, he said that "they can't say anything more than they have on the Nuke situation".
4fc.jpg

That doesn't mean he's not going to be available. It's a long time until drop of the puck next season.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
U can watch landy and CMac on YouTube link from a page or so back.
I've read the quotes, nothing in those suggest that they are not expecting him to be back.

If there was an issue which could result in breach of contract, surely we would know by now. Otherwise, he's coming back once he unf***s himself.

Reactions: Alienblood

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I've read the quotes, nothing in those suggest that they are not expecting him to be back.

If there was an issue which could result in breach of contract, surely we would know by now. Otherwise, he's coming back once he unf***s himself.
Ok I just watched it and thought you might want to.

Yes he expects Nuke back at some point

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I didn’t get the idea that he wasn’t expected back at some point. They clearly don’t want to comment on it though.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
McFarland said nothing.

I don’t think you can really speculate that it’s worse, or better.

I give credit to Gabe Landeskog for the transparency through his situation, because I think his news has come from him, not the Avs. We’re getting the complete opposite on Nichushkin.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
McFarland said nothing.

I don’t think you can really speculate that it’s worse, or better.

I give credit to Gabe Landeskog for the transparency through his situation, because I think his news has come from him, not the Avs. We’re getting the complete opposite on Nichushkin.
The "hope" in the second half of that sentence means they don't really know what the future holds, which is pretty telling...well, to me anyway...

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
To me the phrasing CMac used here is pretty telling.

Sounds an awful lot like he's in some sort of a rehab facility and doesn't want it to be public knowledge. I believe the Avs hands would subsequently be tied in that situation to where they literally cant say anything if Val doesn't want anything to be said.
While there isn't anything legal popping up right now, gotta think the radio silence to some level is around his work visa eligibility.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
While there isn't anything legal popping up right now, gotta think the radio silence to some level is around his work visa eligibility.
It could also be that he's entered a help facility and the team needs his permission to make a statement.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It could also be that he's entered a help facility and the team needs his permission to make a statement.
If it is through the player's assistance program (and logically, this would be the path), Nuke doesn't need to give permission for a statement. That doesn't mean the team is forced to make a statement, but they don't have to have Nuke sign off on it. If Nuke has not entered rehab, then the Avs cannot comment via the player's assistance program. To me, the signals are all showing Nuke has an issue, the team wants him to address it and likely enter rehab through the player's assistance program, and Nuke has not done so yet thus no announcement. There really isn't a ton of pressure during the summer to say much. When it comes to the season if it isn't hammered out, the cap implications will put pressure on it. It is basically treated like LTIR, so some sort of statement is likely to be made if it extends that long.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
To me the phrasing CMac used here is pretty telling.

Sounds an awful lot like he's in some sort of a rehab facility and doesn't want it to be public knowledge. I believe the Avs hands would subsequently be tied in that situation to where they literally cant say anything if Val doesn't want anything to be said.
I don't think there are any privacy laws relevant here where things couldn't be disclosed for public interest, but I could be mistaken. Of course, that doesn't mean the Avs should want to do that.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
If it is through the player's assistance program (and logically, this would be the path), Nuke doesn't need to give permission for a statement. That doesn't mean the team is forced to make a statement, but they don't have to have Nuke sign off on it. If Nuke has not entered rehab, then the Avs cannot comment via the player's assistance program. To me, the signals are all showing Nuke has an issue, the team wants him to address it and likely enter rehab through the player's assistance program, and Nuke has not done so yet thus no announcement. There really isn't a ton of pressure during the summer to say much. When it comes to the season if it isn't hammered out, the cap implications will put pressure on it. It is basically treated like LTIR, so some sort of statement is likely to be made if it extends that long.
Are we sure there's no confidentiality agreement in NHL players contracts? Like.... if Nuke entered a clinic outside of the players assistance program, what happens then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad