Denver Post: Nichushkin involved in incident that prompted police/medical response

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs clearly don't want to make a statement on this and they will hold quiet until their feet are in the fire. The journalists around the team should be doing the work to cover this story.
What journalists? A bloke who is now Uber-ing for a living? Or the one who retired as DU alumni? All the others probably get limited access so Avs organisation are actually in a good position. I guess if somebody is going to uncover it, I guess it will be one of them in Seattle since all the Avs ones are simply copying and pasting what gets found out or released by the City of Seattle.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
What journalists? A bloke who is now Uber-ing for a living? Or the one who retired as DU alumni? All the others probably get limited access so Avs organisation are actually in a good position. I guess if somebody is going to uncover it, I guess it will be one of them in Seattle since all the Avs ones are simply copying and pasting what gets found out or released by the City of Seattle.
Add to that the Avs will probaby restrict info for anybody local who does dig and it becomes harder. The point though is that if you are a journalist covering the team, this should be a story that is dug into.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The whole absence of directly implicating Nuke in the room or him calling in the doctor and just being an unnamed 3rd party is a very classic way of fixing a scene... and taking the woman from the room to the lobby is another sign of that (keeps eyes away from the room). Avs did everything they could to keep Nuke from being in a legal situation going as far as shipping him away. So when they say it isn't a legal situation, they are 100% correct. They took steps to ensure it wasn't a legal situation.

Avs clearly don't want to make a statement on this and they will hold quiet until their feet are in the fire. The journalists around the team should be doing the work to cover this story.
It’s a bad look all around

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
It’s why the national press need to start asking Gary about it. It needs to be part of playoff press conferences.

Don’t let it get out of sight out of mind. If it is truly not this super scandalous thing it seems to be, the Avs can make statements to that fact.

Until more is known, I am not exactly lining up to give the Avs any money. And yeah, I am a drop in the bucket, but I am saying that as a fan who has been to probably almost 100 games in my life, I up and flew from California to see game 5 last year in the finals. I demand to know more about how the club is processing this. And yes, we do deserve that as fans/paying customers.

Reactions: The Moops

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It’s why the national press need to start asking Gary about it. It needs to be part of playoff press conferences.

Don’t let it get out of sight out of mind. If it is truly not this super scandalous thing it seems to be, the Avs can make statements to that fact.

Until more is known, I am not exactly lining up to give the Avs any money. And yeah, I am a drop in the bucket, but I am saying that as a fan who has been to probably almost 100 games in my life, I up and flew from California to see game 5 last year in the finals. I demand to know more about how the club is processing this. And yes, we do deserve that as fans/paying customers.
Why? Are you a fan of this team? What good is it going to do the Avs if they get pressured on this by anyone?

The way I personally look at it is this :

1) I don't give a crap about some random hooker. I think it's weird that you'd side with HER not knowing any of the actual details rather than the team you cheer for. What if she was partying with Val and took some weird combo of drugs+alcohol that he may not have even known about and she had a bad reaction and almost died - so he called the team doctor and they got him the hell out of there. The team doctor dealt with the mess while they took him away to deal with the subsequent marital issues that were undoubtedly forthcoming. Now that may seem like a scene from Pulp Fiction but it's not unreasonable... to me, that's the gist of the story with the info I've read and if that's the case, what would you like the Avs to add to that?

Under that scenario, it is a personal matter. Nobody is pressing charges. There is no legal implication. If Nuke was unfaithful or not and he'll deal with his wife for that part of it but I'm not sure it's any of our business. It doesn't mean he's an addict, it doesn't mean he needs to go to rehab.

Now if this was something bigger than that (sex trafficking) well that's a different story altogether.

2) What I care about is getting the player 'right' so that he can be a part of this team going forward IF possible.

3) I also don't care that the Avs are proceeding with caution with this whole thing. Let's face it, this isn't the GM or the President clumsily not knowing what to do - there is a savvy legal team advising them on how to proceed. I'm 100% fine with how they've done things because IF this situation takes some sort of bad turn (with new details) AND they need to be able to VOID his contract I want them to be able to do that. Personally, I think the situation is what I highlighted above and there is nothing to add. Nuke was partying with a hooker - she almost ODed - they got her the medical care needed - and took Nuke out of that situation.

Not having Nuke back as part of the team for the next 7 years AND having that contract count against the cap is the worst possible scenario and I'm hoping that the Avs have proceeded in the manner that will allow him back on the team OR have the possibility to void the contract and gain back the cap space. That's all I care about.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
It matters because the appearance is that the Avs are covering this up at worst, and at best they are just not being forthright about what happened.

And yeah, it does matter to me that a player of the team I pay money to had a player at best partying with a hooker on a game day. At worst…it gets a lot worse.

And if its true, I will 100% side with the girl and her story against the team and hope they face consequences.

It’s to the point where if none of it was true, or if something was being twisted against Nuke and the Avs in this, they would be out ahead of this with statements.

I am a huge fan of the team and it’s players. It’s why I demand better.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This x 100.

Anybody who talks gets banished.
I wonder if Meghan was told to stop investigating. I know the DNVR crew sure don't want to talk about it and act mostly like it didn't happen. Basically like the Avs want them to act.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Ok a serious response...

I agree we need some transparency, even at the 'cost' of some privacy. However, this may never come in the form some folks are looking for. If he did something wrong, he should face consequences, but part of that process is letting an investigation take place.

However, if he did nothing criminal, what would it take? If the team is simply staying mum because they don't know which one is true, then isn't it fair to give some time? I mean, would a statement from Seattle PD help? If they said 'there is no criminal investigation', would it still seem like a cover up by the team?

Why? Are you a fan of this team? What good is it going to do the Avs if they get pressured on this by anyone?

The way I personally look at it is this :

1) I don't give a crap about some random hooker. I think it's weird that you'd side with HER not knowing any of the actual details rather than the team you cheer for. What if she was partying with Val and took some weird combo of drugs+alcohol that he may not have even known about and she had a bad reaction and almost died - so he called the team doctor and they got him the hell out of there. The team doctor dealt with the mess while they took him away to deal with the subsequent marital issues that were undoubtedly forthcoming. Now that may seem like a scene from Pulp Fiction but it's not unreasonable... to me, that's the gist of the story with the info I've read and if that's the case, what would you like the Avs to add to that?

Under that scenario, it is a personal matter. Nobody is pressing charges. There is no legal implication. If Nuke was unfaithful or not and he'll deal with his wife for that part of it but I'm not sure it's any of our business. It doesn't mean he's an addict, it doesn't mean he needs to go to rehab.

Now if this was something bigger than that (sex trafficking) well that's a different story altogether.

2) What I care about is getting the player 'right' so that he can be a part of this team going forward IF possible.

3) I also don't care that the Avs are proceeding with caution with this whole thing. Let's face it, this isn't the GM or the President clumsily not knowing what to do - there is a savvy legal team advising them on how to proceed. I'm 100% fine with how they've done things because IF this situation takes some sort of bad turn (with new details) AND they need to be able to VOID his contract I want them to be able to do that. Personally, I think the situation is what I highlighted above and there is nothing to add. Nuke was partying with a hooker - she almost ODed - they got her the medical care needed - and took Nuke out of that situation.

Not having Nuke back as part of the team for the next 7 years AND having that contract count against the cap is the worst possible scenario and I'm hoping that the Avs have proceeded in the manner that will allow him back on the team OR have the possibility to void the contract and gain back the cap space. That's all I care about.

I think it's weird that you just assume nothing happened because you're a fan of the team Nuke plays for.
I don't think Bender is assuming anything. We don't have nearly enough information, hence why legal is likely advising them to stay the hell out of the media. Then, when the details come to light, we can judge them based on their handling of it. Let's not forgot, the Avs organization is a business, and as much as they'll do what they can to protect their asset (the player), they sure as hell aren't going to jump the gun and come out and make a bunch of statements that could bite them in the ass if they do need to dump Nuke.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5280 and Bender

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Ok a serious response...

I agree we need some transparency, even at the 'cost' of some privacy. However, this may never come in the form some folks are looking for. If he did something wrong, he should face consequences, but part of that process is letting an investigation take place.

However, if he did nothing criminal, what would it take? If the team is simply staying mum because they don't know which one is true, then isn't it fair to give some time? I mean, would a statement from Seattle PD help? If they said 'there is no criminal investigation', would it still seem like a cover up by the team?
There are no criminal charges. Never was. There is no ongoing investigation. The Seattle police have been asked about this several times and have said as much. The Avs have already said it's a personal matter and aren't going to comment on it. When The Avs and Nichushkin want people to know what went on, they will. If they don't want anyone to know, they won't.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
There are no criminal charges. Never was. There is no ongoing investigation. The Seattle police have been asked about this several times and have said as much. The Avs have already said it's a personal matter and aren't going to comment on it. When The Avs and Nichushkin want people to know what went on, they will. If they don't want anyone to know, they won't.
Yes. This. Everyone is asking for a statement, when we've had statements from Bednar, and the Seattle PD. It's not a legal issue as much as some want it to be. It's not a disciplinary issue, either. It's personal. I'm all for moving on and hoping whatever it was allows Nuke to come back and be his 2022 Stanley Cup Champion self again.

If more info comes out saying otherwise, then my stance may change.

Snow Arc

SAVE FERRIS
Aug 14, 2020
Yes, but what happened?

j/k

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Yes. This. Everyone is asking for a statement, when we've had statements from Bednar, and the Seattle PD. It's not a legal issue as much as some want it to be. It's not a disciplinary issue, either. It's personal. I'm all for moving on and hoping whatever it was allows Nuke to come back and be his 2022 Stanley Cup Champion self again.

If more info comes out saying otherwise, then my stance may change.
This. One of my favorite quotes from HIMYM (yes, I know the show has issues that didn’t ‘age well’) is from Kal Penn, and I’m paraphrasing, ‘just because we make bad choices, it doesn’t make us bad people’.

Now, if it turns out Nuke is a bad person (TBD), being a bad person isn’t necessarily a crime. Nor is it necessarily a violation of the CBA that warrants contract termination.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think it's weird that you just assume nothing happened because you're a fan of the team Nuke plays for.
Not sure how you can get that I think "nothing happened" from the message I posted but nice strawman.

I definitely think something happened and I also definitely believe that the Avs did all they could to cover it up as best they could.

Having said that, I'm not sure what kind of details people are expecting the Avs to give them :

- a confirmation of infidelity?
- a list of the drugs and/or alcohol that may have caused the potential overdose ??

As I said earlier, unless there's some kind of police investigation that's digging deeper in this situation - fans looking for this kind of info are going to be disappointed because the Avs don't have to give them anything. It's been categorized as a 'personal matter' and it's going to stay that way until things get sorted out and Nuke is able to rejoin the team. That will probably be next September when training camp rolls around and by that time, it will all be brushed under the carpet.

Don't get me wrong... does it suck large donkey ass that Nuke was involved in something like this during the frikkin' playoffs?? Absolutely! If some fans aren't a fan of his anymore just because of that kind of behavior, hey I absolutely get it.

If this kind of thing pisses people off enough that they don't want to be a fan of this team anymore, well I don't quite get that but to each their own.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
It's not a legal issue as much as some want it to be
Who exactly wants it to be a legal issue? And there is a big difference between something being illegal and the police investigating something. Pro athletes and teams have a way of "resolving" issues that normal people don't have.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Having said that, I'm not sure what kind of details people are expecting the Avs to give them :

- a confirmation of infidelity?
- a list of the drugs and/or alcohol that may have caused the potential overdose ??

I’m with ya man - I just don’t get what people want out of this. I think it’s just satisfaction of “knowing” and that’s what’s really weird to me. Just like you said - what do you want to know? The girls name? A photo of her? All the salacious details? How is knowing about someone’s intricate details of their personal life going to make you somehow sleep better? I just don’t understand what the “gain” is. And the general public’s gain in knowing isn’t anywhere close to the destruction it will cause Nuke’s family, the girl, and others involved.

I’ve been somewhat close to the Avs circle a couple of times in my life, and I’ve been privy to some disgusting private details of players. 99% of those details never get out, and they shouldn’t. Everyone’s prying into Nuke’s life for whatever reason but what about the (likely) 25% of the other NHLers who have controversial personal lives?

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
People want to know because he abandoned the team in the middle of the playoffs. Fans invest a lot of time and money into a team, of course they want to know why one of the best players on the team is MIA. Doubly frustrating when they lose because they don't have anyone who can score besides MacK and Rants.

If this happened to Myers, this thread is probably dead by the 3rd page.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
No Matter what happened.

What we know or is pretty much confirmed:

- He used his maintenance day to "party".
- His marriage may be in real jeopardy (but thats his personal problem)

And the main point:
- He let his teammates down. Allready dealing with injuries and depleted line-ups. He put his sensitivities ahead of the team...on a game-day, hours before puck drops... before game 3 of round 1.
And thats the biggest concern.

The story will come out. Just a matter of time. If not now, it will be in the summer or by start of the training camp. I dont need this distraction right there at the camp, and i´m sure our Coach and the rest of this team either.

If the AVS really think they will get away with that, good luck. At somt point our GM will have to face the media. I allready expected this after our season ended. I mean, what is this shit? The defending champ taken out by Seattle in Round 1 and there is no presser or anything....?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Let's not forget one thing: If Nuke doesn't leave the team no one knows that the prostitute was in his room or anything about this story at all. Including his wife.

He could have skipped game 3, the team would have said LBI (or illness) and no one would have questioned anything.

He left the team in the middle of the playoffs for a damn good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad