Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I hate the fact that the Avs haven't already said they are buying him out the moment he comes back. After all the talk about character, this is put up or shut up time for the organization. Do they actually believe in character or is it all bullshit? Because while I'm certain Nuke will wear an Avalanche jersey again because of money, if they allow him to do so AND continue to spew this bullshit, Joe really needs to be fired the first time Nuke opens his mouth after rejoining the team.
Can't buy someone out when they're in the PAP.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
I think we can take out of it that he has underlying psychological conditions. Inability to sleep, hyperactivity and addiction issues. Even a lay person can deduce he is neurodivergent.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
The more he keeps talking, the more i hope the AVS and their lawyers are ready to roll......😄

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
I think we can take out of it that he has underlying psychological conditions. Inability to sleep, hyperactivity and addiction issues. Even a lay person can deduce he is neurodivergent.
Neurodivergent: Neurodivergent is a non-medical term that describes people whose brains process information differently than most people. It can also refer to people on the autism spectrum. Neurodivergent people may have different strengths and challenges than people whose brains don't have these differences.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is he trying to say that he has to take cocaine because of sleep issues?
It makes sense. If you have sleeping issues, you won't have the energy to play at the top of your game in the NHL, let alone a full season's worth of consistency. Cocaine is a stimulant, so it probably makes him high awake during parts he's tired so he can keep performing to the best of his ability. There are better drugs to be stimulated, though; most ADHD medications out there are peak stimulates that belong to the same group of methamphetamines as amphetamines. He should've gone this direction, lol.

Reactions: HartKinnon

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Or...hear me out. It could be just another addict doing everything they can to deflect and avoid responsiblity and still not acknowledge that what put him in the program was cocaine.

At this point, I'm starting to get kind of emotionally attached to this story? Weird. Anyways, it only affects me personally as far the cap is concerned. So why?

Some kid's dad has peed into a cup multiple times and been placed into a program designed to give him all the tools, support, space and time to get systems in place to deal with the stressors that can lead to harmful behaviors multiple times.

I can only let Val's words and actions speak to how seriously he's taking these opportunities. Late night shots of post partying gun salutes might not be the best way to say, hey I'm trying to get my sleep in order. I honestly have no idea why I feel so strongly about this, we've never had any children of our own but this just absolutely has been sticking in my gut for some reason.

All this was filmed before the playoffs and the last suspension
[edit...Thanks @Balthazar. I honestly thought this was relatively recent, so there a chance my post was unwarranted. I sincerely hope he's more serious this time.]

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Neurodivergent: Neurodivergent is a non-medical term that describes people whose brains process information differently than most people. It can also refer to people on the autism spectrum. Neurodivergent people may have different strengths and challenges than people whose brains don't have these differences
that's right

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I still love Val, despite his issues and lack of accountability. After all, those are the reasons he was ever an Av in the first place.

He has accomplished more in his career than anyone ever imagined when he first joined the team. His growth could have only been accurately predicted by @Sea Eagles .

What seems to always hinder Val is his lack of accountability and his perspective on his own issues is never shared in the media and it seems like he sweeps problems under the rug with his teammates also.

Hopefully he learns some perspective but at some point a spade is a spade.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
If he's truly neodivergent.... which sounds plausible to me...... then the NHL hockey regimen is ruining his health and drugs are the way he's trying to cope.

This is serious. This is tragic. He needs to find another profession. Otherwise he's gonna end up in an early grave.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

giphy.gif

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The eventual writing is on the wall here. In 4 years, Nuke is surely playing in Russia if he can't get his addiction under control (which seems very unlikely). The pathway to that point is more of the question.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If (it's a big if) the Avs and Nuke could come to a contract termination agreement, in theory it could be possible for Nuke to play in the KHL and not lose any money.

Avs would still get stuck with a big cap penalty that they can't afford to stay competitive though, so even that is far from ideal.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If (it's a big if) the Avs and Nuke could come to a contract termination agreement, in theory it could be possible for Nuke to play in the KHL and not lose any money.

Avs would still get stuck with a big cap penalty that they can't afford to stay competitive though, so even that is far from ideal.

Let’s be honest, we are f***ed with this contract either way.

Nuke’s addiction has sabotaged two Cup runs and essentially closed this contending window permanently.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The most hilarious thing about these interviews is Nuke getting pinched for coke so shortly after. :laugh:
Making the Avs look like the bad guys while avoiding his problems.. He knows he'll get away with it.

Did he get caught already during this summer?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The most hilarious thing about these interviews is Nuke getting pinched for coke so shortly after. :laugh:
I’m more amused that more people don’t understand that addicts lie. All day, every day. They’re better liars than politicians.

Also amused that people (perhaps including Nichushkin) are ignoring the fact that cocaine is a stimulant, which just maybe perhaps possibly might be the reason the man can’t sleep at night.

Finish a hard fought hockey game around 11pm, home around midnight, snort up a gram or two at 1am………. what could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3