Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Feels like a really strong indicator that Nuke doesn't think anything is wrong with his behaviour and will just continue doing it.
It is just a matter of time. If he's not terminated by the Avs immediately, there will be a point in the next year or so where he gets popped again and has a 1 year suspension. Hopefully he's out of the organization by that time so at least the Avs can reallocate their cap.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The interview is out and for everyone to read. If the AVS know that what he says is bullshit, they have proof and a legal ground to go for termination.

It's amazing to me, that so many people are so quick to defend the team here, as if they are saints in heaven or something. I find it utterly implausible that the Avs have zero complicity and/or responsibility in this sordid tale.

I don't believe parts of Val's story (the fact that he had nothing to do with the drunk hooker is particularly not believable). But please humor me for a moment, and allow me to throw out a scenario for your consideration. Purely hypothetical.

What if what Nichushkin said in that interview is 100% true? And then let's add this tidbit to it: What if what Nichushkin is addicted to, is in fact pain killers? And what if the reason he's addicted, is due to the huge amount of them that Avs team doctors overprescribed to him during the 2022 Stanley Cup run, so he could stay on the ice with his foot/ankle injury?

We still don't know all of the facts, but in my life experience, there's always three sides to every story, and I suspect there is here also: Nichushkin's version, the Avs' version, and the truth.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's amazing to me, that so many people are so quick to defend the team here, as if they are saints in heaven or something.

I don't believe parts of Val's story (the fact that he had nothing to do with the drunk hooker is particularly not believable). But please humor me for a moment, and allow me to throw out a scenario. Purely hypothetical.

What if what Nichushkin said in that interview is 100% true? And then let's add this tidbit to it: What if what Nichushkin is addicted to, is in fact pain killers? And what if the reason he's addicted, is due to the huge amount of them that Avs team doctors overprescribed to him during the 2022 Stanley Cup run, so he could stay on the ice with his foot/ankle injury?

We still don't know the whole truth, but in my life experience, there's always three sides to every story, and I suspect there is here also. Nichushkin's version, the Avs' version, and the truth.
Nuke's drug of choice is cocaine. There are rumors of MDMA too, but coke is the big one. Like pretty much every NHLer, Nuke has been given opioids before. It would not be shocking if he's abused them before, he is an addict after all. He got popped for coke though.

The whole interview likely has snippets of truth, but it is a story to clearly shift the blame from Nuke.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Nuke's drug of choice is cocaine. There are rumors of MDMA too, but coke is the big one. Like pretty much every NHLer, Nuke has been given opioids before. It would not be shocking if he's abused them before, he is an addict after all. He got popped for coke though.

The whole interview likely has snippets of truth, but it is a story to clearly shift the blame from Nuke.
I do believe that. He is exhibiting numerous characteristics of an addict, something I am very familiar with.

What I don't believe, is that the Avs are some kind of angel organization that was fully committed out of the kindness of their hearts to helping Nichuskin in Seattle.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
What I don't believe, is that the Avs are some kind of angel organization that was fully committed out of the kindness of their hearts to helping Nichuskin in Seattle.
I've long said that, and it goes way beyond the public sphere of things.... they are not without blame here. They could get players help quicker, not try to convince them to not enter the PAP, not hide everything they can etc etc. In this case though, none of that would matter. Nuke is a trash human, doing trash things. Avs could have handled this perfectly, and it would still end up the same. Nuke is the guy who in his early years in Dallas asked the Stars staff find him hookers.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I've long said that, and it goes way beyond the public sphere of things.... they are not without blame here. They could get players help quicker, not try to convince them to not enter the PAP, not hide everything they can etc etc. In this case though, none of that would matter. Nuke is a trash human, doing trash things.
Even if Nichushkin may be a scumbag, even if the Avs don't like what he said in an interview, they're still handcuffed by the program protocol, yes? Which means they can sit and stew and steam about it, but can't really do anything about it?

Short of taking on a cap hit, what immediate options do they have?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Even if Nichushkin may be a scumbag, even if the Avs don't like what he said in an interview, they're still handcuffed by the program protocol, yes? Which means they can sit and stew and steam about it, but can't really do anything about it?

Short of taking on a cap hit, what immediate options do they have?

Immediate options... not much. The buyout window is over. They can trade, but Nuke has a full NMC for this season, so they'd have to work with him to move. They can try to work with him to mutually terminate, that's about the only option today and requires working with Nuke. They can terminate the contract by themselves the day it is reinstated (which will end up in arbitration).

None of that means though that the Avs will stick this out. They might in the interim, but it is very clear the relationship is fractured and only a matter of time.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Immediate options... not much. The buyout window is over. They can trade, but Nuke has a full NMC for this season, so they'd have to work with him to move. They can try to work with him to mutually terminate, that's about the only option today and requires working with Nuke. They can terminate the contract by themselves the day it is reinstated (which will end up in arbitration).

None of that means though that the Avs will stick this out. They might in the interim, but it is very clear the relationship is fractured and only a matter of time.
I honestly hope that Nuke and his family decide they like being in Russia better and a mutual termination occurs. Love the guy on the ice, he's one of my favourites, wish him all the best and hope he finally moves out of this pre-contemplative state and starts taking action to help himself, but he can't be on the team anymore.

Reactions: Stanley Thermos

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, imo, the interview existing alone, and the responses within, indicate to me that the relationship is done.

If there was any semblance of us thinking the Avs would give him another chance, this interview seals it for me that it’s not the case.

Last edited:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
This is such a Russian thing... Creating a fake narrative to get sympathy for clearly being in the wrong.

This is probably one of the last reclamation projects like this the Avalanche EVER take on. Sorry but f*** Nuke and in general that country needs a god dam reset.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
To me the best part of this whole interview saga is the denial, denial, make up stories, nothing to see here... then popped within a few weeks with a 'party drug' failure. So obviously full of shit. :laugh:
It reads to me of a guy that really doesn't think anything he has done is wrong and that he really doesn't need to change anything. Again, I think it would be best for everyone if Nuke and his family decide to stay in Russia and he signs with the KHL.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

And going by the interview it is easy to assume that he will be very hard to "work with" when it comes to trading him (because of his NMC) or terminating his contract (he will want as much money as he can get).

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It reads to me of a guy that really doesn't think anything he has done is wrong and that he really doesn't need to change anything. Again, I think it would be best for everyone if Nuke and his family decide to stay in Russia and he signs with the KHL.
I doubt Nuke and his family see it that way. He's due 8m, before his suspension this year. Even after that is mid to high 6s. Then 7.3m next year. Odds are high that if he can keep from getting suspended that his ~8m in take home far surpasses what he could pull for a KHL salary. Now if he gets suspended again for a whole year without pay... then we may have a different equation.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I doubt Nuke and his family see it that way. He's due 8m, before his suspension this year. Even after that is mid to high 6s. Then 7.3m next year. Odds are high that if he can keep from getting suspended that his ~8m in take home far surpasses what he could pull for a KHL salary. Now if he gets suspended again for a whole year without pay... then we may have a different equation.
Don't disagree with you at all, I think he's in it for the money. I just don't see a clean break from this situation for anyone. It sucks because Nuke is such a perfect Avs player and he seemed like such a likeable guy.

Reactions: henchman21

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Maybe the interview can't be used against him, but I wonder if the photos of him traveling around the world can? He's supposed to be rehabbing, but instead he's on vacation. Hopefully the Avs can put together some form of breach of contract case and jettison his contract off the team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Don't disagree with you at all, I think he's in it for the money. I just don't see a clean break from this situation for anyone. It sucks because Nuke is such a perfect Avs player and he seemed like such a likeable guy.
One thing is for sure, Avs PR is pretty good at presenting good images to the public.

Maybe the interview can't be used against him, but I wonder if the photos of him traveling around the world can? He's supposed to be rehabbing, but instead he's on vacation. Hopefully the Avs can put together some form of breach of contract case and jettison his contract off the team.
Doubtful... if he's fulfilling the obligations of the program, they can't do a thing. I'd be shocked if he wasn't at least doing that (no matter how minor or BS they are).

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
One thing is for sure, Avs PR is pretty good at presenting good images to the public.

Doubtful... if he's fulfilling the obligations of the program, they can't do a thing. I'd be shocked if he wasn't at least doing that (no matter how minor or BS they are).
The next thing you're going to tell me is that Cale is actually the embodiment of all that is evil.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The next thing you're going to tell me is that Cale is actually the embodiment of all that is evil.
6_omensmile.jpg

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I highly doubt the rehab program means you have to sit at home, doing nothing like serving an open prison sentence.

Which is why I said some pages ago that I really don't have an issue with him spending his vacation in Italy. But under the circumstances, keep it f***ing quiet and tell the same to your wife (and whoever you are traveling with). Don't post about it. We know that people today live from the likes and comments of social media, but don't do it. It's not good PR. But it was the same a year ago when he posted that photo with a gun. In an isolated incident, any other player, who gives a f***. Firearms are (in most places) a legal hobby. Cringy photo for sure, but pretty harmless. But posting that after mysteriously leaving Seattle, an incident involving the police and potential human trafficking victim? After the team and yourself not really addressing the incident at all, that was the first thing you post on social media?

He just doesn't get it. This is the type of behaviour that shows he has no remorse of what has happened, and think he doesn't have to do anything to change his perception or behaviour.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Don't disagree with you at all, I think he's in it for the money to pay for his powder. I just don't see a clean break from this situation for anyone. It sucks because Nuke is such a perfect Avs player and he seemed like such a likeable guy.
Added an important part that you seemed to forget to include.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad