Line Combos: Post-preseason lines, who makes the cut?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't agree. Roy will begin the season in MTL for sure. He maybe lost a spot on the top 6 for now.
I don't even think he lost the top 6 spot. The rest of the team has been horrid and nobody has blown expectations and forced our hands besides Hutson.

Kapanen may stay for a bit and play a couple of games but I doubt he stays here long.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Newhook has zero hockey IQ, Avs fans were right about that. He makes the wrong play with the puck most of the time, he creates nothing and ends the possession so often. He is a smaller version of Anderson, definately not a top 6 player.

I disagree. Did you watch him down the stretch ? He easily improved his decision making with and without the puck, which is why he was almost ppg for the last 12 or so games. Avs fans also said he wasn't fast which was one of the most ridiculous things ever said on these boards.

Was he objectively worse than, say, Newhook?

It's inane to think Newhook had to fight for a spot this preseason.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm beyond disappointed with Mailman. Clumsy outlet passes and getting caught out of position is not what I expected from him. Plus him not on the point in the PP tells me that MSL doesn't have confidence in him. Even tonight were he should be considered our most offensive defenseman, he's not qurterbacking the miserable PP.

I'm not a fan of MSL and he's no fan of Mailman.

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
I'm beyond disappointed with Mailman. Clumsy outlet passes and getting caught out of position is not what I expected from him. Plus him not on the point in the PP tells me that MSL doesn't have confidence in him. Even tonight were he should be considered our most offensive defenseman, he's not qurterbacking the miserable PP.

Who is mailman (I’m out of the loop)

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't even think he lost the top 6 spot. The rest of the team has been horrid and nobody has blown expectations and forced our hands besides Hutson.

Kapanen may stay for a bit and play a couple of games but I doubt he stays here long.
Going to depend if he gets some production

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

He's not been playing with enough confidence. Hopefully wearing the C, and accumulating the minutes in Laval should help him acquire the experience he's lacking. I think Mailloux gets a callback at some point during the season, just not now with how Hutson performed.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's not been playing with enough confidence. Hopefully wearing the C, and accumulating the minutes in Laval should help him acquire the experience he's lacking. I think Mailloux gets a callback at some point during the season, just not now with how Hutson performed.
Making fundamental clearing mistakes was frustrating to watch.

I was hoping he play with Guhle in order to stabilize him. I love the idea of X and Mailman as the Doom Defense, but X has his own problems. Two together just exasperated the issue.

Also the fact that MSL did not use his offensive abilities really frustrating. His AHL production wasn't an accident or the byproduct of a great partner.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think you're right about Mailloux getting cut.
Initially I thought they were going to let him stick with the team so Reinbacher could get top minutes in Laval, but with him out of the picture I think they're going to give that seat to Mailloux again for the season.
I had him cut a number of days ago. They were always going to keep him up for load balance.
That's over and done with now.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I disagree. Did you watch him down the stretch ? He easily improved his decision making with and without the puck, which is why he was almost ppg for the last 12 or so games. Avs fans also said he wasn't fast which was one of the most ridiculous things ever said on these boards.
Top speed is completely useless when you're unable to use it to separate yourself. To use your speed you need to be able to explode and Newhook just can't do it so he gets in tough spots and the play dies on his stick.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
This team is gonna have the same problem as always. No depth. Beside the first line and Dach, we’re done.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is what I would do:

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Newhook
Kapanen-Dach-Caufield
Heineman-Dvorak-Armia
Gallagher-Evans-Anderson
Pezzetta, Condotta

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Struble-Barron
Xhekaj

Montembeault
Primeau

Roy goes down to ramp his game back up; Xhekaj, Struble and Barron do a rotation. Primeau only makes it over Dobes due to waivers and slow cooking Dobes as a goalie.

Reactions: Skala24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad