Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm sure some of my coworkers use recreational drugs regularly and a smaller minority enjoy the company of temporary companions during lonely evenings. As long as it doesn't impact work performance or result in serious crimes or reputational damage to the company, I don't think anyone cares.

In a lot of companies, the second there are legal issues, then it typically becomes a problem. One of my old companies, they straight up fired anybody that got a DUI (even an executive once) and wouldn't hire anyone with a DUI. The company culture at parties had a lot of drinking and a number of those people drove. Just don't get caught. I don't think that is terribly uncommon either. Its fine as long as you don't get caught.

In this case, we do have reputational damage happening. Alongside that, it is much more difficult for a professional athlete to get in legitimate legal trouble compared to the everyday citizen... and that is for a reason, teams don't want to have any reason fans may not want to come to a game. That's why you see guys who have legit histories get blackballed. Now if a player is good enough, someone would take a chance. But if they suck, teams jettison pretty quickly.

Everybody's level of caring on this is different, and that is for each person to judge. People just shouldn't pretend the Avs as an organization are angels and that they had no part in this. Lots of blame to go around in this situation (and most still falls on Nuke).

Reactions: MacKaRant

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
In a lot of companies, the second there are legal issues, then it typically becomes a problem. One of my old companies, they straight up fired anybody that got a DUI (even an executive once) and wouldn't hire anyone with a DUI. The company culture at parties had a lot of drinking and a number of those people drove. Just don't get caught. I don't think that is terribly uncommon either. Its fine as long as you don't get caught.

In this case, we do have reputational damage happening. Alongside that, it is much more difficult for a professional athlete to get in legitimate legal trouble compared to the everyday citizen... and that is for a reason, teams don't want to have any reason fans may not want to come to a game. That's why you see guys who have legit histories get blackballed. Now if a player is good enough, someone would take a chance. But if they suck, teams jettison pretty quickly.

Everybody's level of caring on this is different, and that is for each person to judge. People just shouldn't pretend the Avs as an organization are angels and that they had no part in this. Lots of blame to go around in this situation (and most still falls on Nuke).
I think we agree. The pivot point is when Nuke missed practice and the woman was found in distress in his room. Then it got into the public eye, even if it wasn't a legal issue. If Nuke had kept his habits to his own time without interfering with his availability and ability to perform within games, then the Avs would have had no issues, much the same way that my company doesn't care about my hypothetical illegal-drug-using coworkers as long as they keep themselves out of trouble.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think we agree. The pivot point is when Nuke missed practice and the woman was found in distress in his room. Then it got into the public eye, even if it wasn't a legal issue. If Nuke had kept his habits to his own time without interfering with his availability and ability to perform within games, then the Avs would have had no issues, much the same way that my company doesn't care about my hypothetical illegal-drug-using coworkers as long as they keep themselves out of trouble.
I'm not stating my personal opinion, more of just what is reality around this and how teams handle it.

The pivot point was earlier than that for when the situation got out of control, that is just when the Avs could no longer contain it. And for his trouble that doctor is no longer with the Avs. Which says a lot about how they think he handled it.

In general, it is much harder for a professional athlete to get into real legal trouble with things like this. Professional favors are not exactly uncommon here and they are not treated the same as you and I. Nuke's actions have likely been worse than most of our coworkers, he's just been shielded for so long.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I'm sure some of my coworkers use recreational drugs regularly and a smaller minority enjoy the company of temporary companions during lonely evenings. As long as it doesn't impact work performance or result in serious crimes or reputational damage to the company, I don't think anyone cares.
I think this is a big part of it. While we don't want our players doing coke or pain killers, they don't exactly improve performance as a hockey player. That's why all the testing is around PEDs. He's for sure not the only guy doing whatever it is he's doing, he's the guy that got caught at the wrong times. I don't know if he's learned the tough lesson or not, but there's no clearer way to tell him the consequences of his actions.

And this whole you let us down thing is getting out of hand. Has Gabe let us down being out for the playoffs the last two years? Sure it's hard to blame someone for being injured but it's still a guy who could have made a big difference not being there. Should the Avs have found a way to terminate his deal or forced him into retirement because he didn't contribute in the tough series losses?

Reactions: Alienblood

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think this is a big part of it. While we don't want our players doing coke or pain killers, they don't exactly improve performance as a hockey player. That's why all the testing is around PEDs. He's for sure not the only guy doing whatever it is he's doing, he's the guy that got caught at the wrong times. I don't know if he's learned the tough lesson or not, but there's no clearer way to tell him the consequences of his actions.

And this whole you let us down thing is getting out of hand. Has Gabe let us down being out for the playoffs the last two years? Sure it's hard to blame someone for being injured but it's still a guy who could have made a big difference not being there. Should the Avs have found a way to terminate his deal or forced him into retirement because he didn't contribute in the tough series losses?
Ahh yes a freak accident that caused a major injury is very much the same as a guy who has a drug problem so bad he wasn’t showing up to practices, got himself and a hooker f***ed up on a game day and has in the end missed back to back cup runs because of his said drug problem. Those are situations that should obviously be handled exactly the same.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The Avs would have had more case for morality termination last summer. Even then Richards was changed with a crime, Nuke was not. Now that they’ve elected the path of the program they must abide by it. 100% agree Avs made their bed too, they aren’t innocent bystanders.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The Avs would have had more case for morality termination last summer.
Yep. If they wanted to get out of this mess right after the hotel room thing was the right time. Missed morning skate during the playoffs, intoxicated prostitute from oversea with no passport in hotel room, I'm sure they could prove that he was heavily intoxicated too...everyone would have supported the Avs with a story like this.

Now, they have to follow the program.

In the end he will come back because there's just no viable alternative.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'd like to point out that even though I have been very harsh with some of my takes on Nuke and the Avs here, my biggest desire in all of this has always been that Val gets straight for his daughter.

The rest of it, man... it's just sports at the end of the day. It's entertainment but this dude needs to take better care of himself and his family first and foremost and then maybe think about resuming his career. I hope he gets there. And if I could be certain he was going to try this time... who knows as a player as the months go by and you get a chance to look him in the eye and listen to what he has to say about what he's learned and where he's at and what his goals are and his plans to stay straight... maybe they overcome any reservations. I mean, they may have to regardless, but I mean, maybe it could be sincere thing. It's just fresh for a lot of us, and I imagine even more so for them.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I kinda figured him for a tricked out LandRover or Hummer...of if going for all out bling... a Caddy.
Val would probably never buy a weak car like a Landrover or Hammer that will probably break in a year or two. He would probably prefer German and get a G class truck with a bullet proof glass.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Turns out he was addicted to weed, which will become a schedule 3 drug and not banned on testing. No more program. He will stop smoking on game days anyway and score 70 goals because he isn't high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad