Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Do you know how many power forwards, two way players are playing in the NHL? Just a handful. Nuke is a core player for us. Loosing him would really hurt this team. Other teams will give him a 6M a year contract without any hesitation.
Nobody is touching him at 6m until he’s proven to be clean. That risk is just way too high and cap space at too much of a premium.

Also… Stage 4 is not a get out of contract jail free card. If Nuke meets the requirements he’s eligible for reinstatement.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Do you know how many power forwards, two way players are playing in the NHL? Just a handful. Nuke is a core player for us. Loosing him would really hurt this team. Other teams will give him a 6M a year contract without any hesitation.
Do you know how hard it is to win a Stanley Cup when your power forward prefers nose whiskey to Stanley Cups?

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Trade him when he's clean. One for one trade. They get Nuke, we get someone slightly worse but without the baggage.
Slightly worse lol. What do you think his trade value is? If you want a similar situation, go read up on what happened with Evander Kane and the end of his time with the Sharks. If the Avs really want to get rid of Nuke then burying him in the minors and taking that cap hit hoping that breaks him and makes him want to leave for a settlement is the best outcome.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Slightly worse lol. What do you think his trade value is? If you want a similar situation, go read up on what happened with Evander Kane and the end of his time with the Sharks. If the Avs really want to get rid of Nuke then burying him in the minors and taking that cap hit hoping that breaks him and makes him want to leave for a settlement is the best outcome.
Zero if not negative right now?

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Nuke has an NMC for 24-25. There is no burying him in the AHL for the entirety of next year.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
You can't have it both ways. He can't be an unreplaceable elite player, but also not be that in the eyes of other teams. If anything it's the opposite: The ONLY reason the Avs even want to get rid of him is that he made the same mistake twice and they can't risk it happening thrice.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You can't have it both ways. He can't be an unreplaceable elite player, but also not be that in the eyes of other teams. If anything it's the opposite: The ONLY reason the Avs even want to get rid of him is that he made the same mistake twice and they can't risk it happening thrice.
3x in 13 months, and plenty of time undocumented publicly prior to that. If a player cannot be counted on to be around, then you simply have to replace them.

Teams will fall all over themselves to get Nuke on a cheap, 1 year deal. The reward is high and the risk is minimized. When $30m is at stake, the reward isn't worth it.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
3x in 13 months, and plenty of time undocumented publicly prior to that. If a player cannot be counted on to be around, then you simply have to replace them.

Teams will fall all over themselves to get Nuke on a cheap, 1 year deal. The reward is high and the risk is minimized. When $30m is at stake, the reward isn't worth it.
The risk is minimal even for his current contract. If he gets busted again and enters 4th stage, I think they'll easily be able to get rid of that contract.

Something that does limit his value is his NMC. I think he'd agree to a trade to get out of here, but he gets to choose his own destination, so the Avs won't have much bargaining power. I hadn't thought of that when I posted earlier, so I'll take back what I said about the return we might get, though I stand by the fact that to other teams he is a valuable piece.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The risk is minimal even for his current contract. If he gets busted again and enters 4th stage, I think they'll easily be able to get rid of that contract.

Something that does limit his value is his NMC. I think he'd agree to a trade to get out of here, but he gets to choose his own destination, so the Avs won't have much bargaining power. I hadn't thought of that when I posted earlier, so I'll take back what I said about the return we might get, though I stand by the fact that to other teams he is a valuable piece.
Why would many teams take that risk? Tie up 6+M on a guy who has proven in B2B playoff runs now he can't be counted on? So you pencil him in for your regular season but have no clue if he makes it through playoffs as a contender?

No top team wants that at 6M.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If he's not reliable enough for us to keep him then he's certainly not reliable enough for other teams to take the 30M contract off our hands.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Why would many teams take that risk? Tie up 6+M on a guy who has proven in B2B playoff runs now he can't be counted on? So you pencil him in for your regular season but have no clue if he makes it through playoffs as a contender?

No top team wants that at 6M.
1st liners don't grow on trees. Top contenders already have a strong roster, they might not need him, but what about shit teams like the Wild that need the extra push to become contenders?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Here's an interesting question, because I agree that no team is going to take him on at his full AAV.

But, hypothetically, let's say the all parties are negotiating a buy out/termination where the Avs carry a cap hit of about 2-3M, would that be for the remainder of his current contract, or would it extend past his contract like Mike Richards' did? If it extends past it, what if the Avs shopped him around at a 2-3M retention? If they're looking at getting hit with that anyway for more time than remains on his deal, do you think another team might be interested in him/take the risk at 3.5-4M AAV for the remainder of his term? Hell, Nichushkin might be on board and waive his NMC becuase then he's not losing ANY money unless he f***s up again.

I know that seems like a longshot, but thought I'd ask.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
1st liners don't grow on trees. Top contenders already have a strong roster, they might not need him, but what about shit teams like the Wild that need the extra push to become contenders?
Teams are naturally risk averse. No team wants a now public drug addict who has gotten busted three times in twelve months on their roster for 6M. Which GM do you think can convince his owner of that move to pony up the cash and pay this guy?

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
If he's not reliable enough for us to keep him then he's certainly not reliable enough for other teams to take on his 30M contract.
They knew what kind of a person he was when they signed him to that contract. Then he fked up and they gave him a second chance. Then he fked up and they give him a third chance. Then he fked up again. The Avs sure thought he was worth the risk. And they might still do and he just comes back when his suspension ends. It's not what I would want, but I'm not the GM. I think it's just specifically bad for the Avs because his bad history is with us. That's why you see "change of scenery" trades all the time. Is it that much different from Duchene sulking here?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Teams are naturally risk averse. No team wants a now public drug addict who has gotten busted three times in twelve months on their roster for 6M. Which GM do you think can convince his owner of that move to pony up the cash and pay this guy?
and commit to him for 6 more years.

If it was 6M X 1 maybe they'd find someone. Maybe.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Except they are only committing to the 6 years if he stays clean. If he f***s up they're gonna get out of it.
No guarantee and a huge pain in the ass to terminate the contract and a multiple year cap penalty if you succeed.

You greatly overrate Val the hockey player if you think he's worth that.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Another thing I just thought of was that the Avs could basically give an ultimatum to Nichushkin, do you want to waive your NMC and get traded but keep your contract, or do we start legal proceedings to get rid of that contract and you'll have to earn a new one.

No guarantee and a huge pain in the ass to terminate the contract and a multiple year cap penalty if you succeed.

You greatly overrate Val the hockey player if you think he's worth that.
These are our guesses only. You're right there's no guarantee that you can get rid of the contract, but there's also no guarantee that you can't get rid of the contract, or that you would have to pay multiple year cap penalties to get rid of that contract.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Why the f*** did they offer him an 8 year contract if they knew? Blinded by the cup win?
Because up until 13 months ago, it was realistically unknown or at least, unimportant to the league, and it was not affecting his on-ice play/availability.

Reactions: Alienblood

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
But why take that chance? Why allocate funds and a prominent role to a guy like that?

No team builds a roster wanting that unknown.
That's your guess at it. I disagree. The only thing we really know for certain is that there was one team that did want to build a roster with him, and that is the Avalanche. They signed him to that contract and probably knew already what type of a guy he was outside the ice. Do you think they looked to trade him last summer after the first incident? I doubt it, personally. Or are you saying that he already had no value back then?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00